OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
on grounders, the sox had 2 throws to 1st where they threw the ball past the 1st baseman and no player (catcher) backed it up. I had always thought the batter was awarded 2nd base if no defensive player back up the throw. The Dodger batter was not awarded 2nd base either time.

Has this rule changed?

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Man, that was truly unbelievable. Eovaldi was something else...feels like a year ago Buehler was pitching. So much good stuff. I nearly died after that first Muncy non-home-run so I'm glad he got to redeem it in the end.

He needed to wave it fair a la Carlton Fisk in '75

fisk.jpeg

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
on grounders, the sox had 2 throws to 1st where they threw the ball past the 1st baseman and no player (catcher) backed it up. I had always thought the batter was awarded 2nd base if no defensive player back up the throw. The Dodger batter was not awarded 2nd base either time.

Has this rule changed?
I think the ball has to go into the stands. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
"I had to [pee] since the seventh inning," Bellinger said. "We had drug testers in there so we couldn't [pee] yet because we didn't know who was getting drug tested. I'm glad [Muncy] hit the home run so I can finally see if I get tested or not

Reactions: King Trouty

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Has this rule changed?
The ball has to go out of play. Apparently, the ball didn't go into the cameraman's well and bounce back onto the field. Basically the ball was still in play and the runner could have advanced all the way to home plate at their own risk.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
The ball has to go out of play. Apparently, the ball didn't go into the cameraman's well and bounce back onto the field. Basically the ball was still in play and the runner could have advanced all the way to home plate at their own risk.

This exactly. Catchers back up the play to try and stop the runner from advancing to 2nd in case of a bad throw. They wont back up a play though if a runner is in scoring position in case they have a play at the plate. If Puig were to naturally beat the play at first you would have to have the pitcher then cover home which isnt ideal.

I was actually yelling at Puig cause I thought he could have made it to 2nd but he was too worried about celebrating...

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

I think the second overthrow did go into the well and it bounced back (which shouldn't matter - it was out of play). I assumed the Dodgers were going to challenge it, since the camera angle they kept showing wasn't that great.

With cameras everywhere, I assumed some other view must have been more definitive.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
This exactly. Catchers back up the play to try and stop the runner from advancing to 2nd in case of a bad throw. They wont back up a play though if a runner is in scoring position in case they have a play at the plate. If Puig were to naturally beat the play at first you would have to have the pitcher then cover home which isnt ideal.

I was actually yelling at Puig cause I thought he could have made it to 2nd but he was too worried about celebrating...

yea, why is that? LOL... :laugh:

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I just read an article saying Roberts might throw Kershaw out there tonight... on 3 days rest.

Hope he's just playing head games because that does not feel like a solid plan.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I just read an article saying Roberts might throw Kershaw out there tonight... on 3 days rest.

Hope he's just playing head games because that does not feel like a solid plan.

It was just confirmed rich hill is starting tonight.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Win or lose it's the right call imo.

I'm on board with it today. Rodriguez is far from the toughest lefty they have. Muncy had a number of good at bats last night, plus he his lefties decently anyway. Bellinger always presents the chance of bombing one out.

On top of that, the offense hasn't done much otherwise so it's worth a shot.

Reactions: Winger23

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

Eh, you can see him consider turning, but the first base coach signaled to stop so he took the moment to celebrate. This wasn't Machado admiring a long single.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad