OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVIII: Jackie Robinson West loses 8-4 to Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Good god what is this crap I'm reading.. Ok I'm to say this again and it's ridiculous how underrated the sox farm is just because they don't get the media attention like the cubs/red sox etc. farm does or the non mouthing of their success rate. I've already said they are probably below middle of the pack now. I never said they were top 10. I said you could ARGUE with another top 10 pick for NEXT SEASON and even that's not possible because Rodon will graduate in his prospect status by then anyways so it's a moot point. As far as a link, didn't someone post this just a few pages ago on this very thread?http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-sox-plan-can-make-carlos-rodon-elite-pitcher I think it was MB himself actually who is probably one of the only Cubs fans here who is pretty level headed about his **** sox related (and coldsteel to an extent as well) and is as much of a prospect guy as I am (I won't comment on Sabremetrics lol). That's just one example. I can give you a couple of more if you want. He was considered the consensus top pick of the draft since his sophomore season at NC State. What scared scouts/organizations? Number one, his workload. Dude was throwing a ton of pitches not to mention sliders. Another was a bit of a down year. Sure his peripherals were still good and he actually improved on alot of them, but he wasn't as dominant as his seasons prior and guys like Aiken were creating steam. Another was his agent which you can probably bank why the astros passed on him since they had Aiken and Nix lined up before the small UCL discovery. There is not a doubt in my mind that if the sox passed on him, Theo would've been licking his chops on Rodon. Sox are lucky Rick Hahn has shown a willingness to deal with Boras since he was the one doing the contracts in the KW regime with a couple Boras guys at the time. If Kenny was still running things.. Probably would of drafted another athletic, two sport guy with enormous potential as well as bust rate.

They really weren't. Walks. Tons of walks.

He fell because of, like you said, the workload, fastball command issues, and the lack of a potential third plus pitch.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
MiLB.com ‏@MiLB 27m
Carlos Rodon pulled for @KnightsBaseball. 4 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, 73 pitches, 47 strikes. http://atmilb.com/1slDzSg #WhiteSox
8ks in 4 IP. Impressive. Didnt think he could look that good jumping to AAA.

Bryant with a HR first at bat.
Russell with a HR
Schwarber with 2 HR today.

Love it!
The hit parade continues for next prospect wave.

Hoping the Cubs can find some middle rotation starters. Most of them are at AA right now.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Iowa Cubs have 7 games left in the season and are pretty close to being eliminated from the playoffs. Going to see Soler in Chicago in a week.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Cubs No-Hit Streak‏@CubsNoHitStreak·1m
Off-Day Fun Fact: Since trade to A's Samadrzija and Hammel are 4-8, 5.01 ERA in 16 starts.

Hendricks, Wada are 9-2, 2.15 ERA in 16 starts.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Its also crazy Schwarber is killing a notriously hard hitters league. If he can stay at catcher, he's going to have huge value for the Cubs. Don't think its out of the realm of possibility he ends next year in Iowa.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
SideLeague @SideLeague 1h
MLB Stat of the Day: #Cubs 2B Javier Baez has 82 at-bats. #Tigers Victor Martinez has 444 at-bats. They both have 36 strikeouts.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
MLB Stat of the Day: #Cubs 2B Javier Baez has 82 at-bats. #Tigers Victor Martinez has 444 at-bats. They both have 36 strikeouts.

He also has the highest HR rate of any 2B in the entire league. Anyone who knew anything about him knew he was going to strikeout a ton upon getting called up. It has taken him about 200 PA's to adjust when promoted; that is why they are getting the growing pains out the way right now and not at the beginning of the season next year.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I wouldn't even care if he hit .200 and struck out 300 times if he clubbed 35-40 homers from 2B.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

And yet he's far and away better than any position prospect in the Sox organization. (maybe you can find an anonymous quote saying differently).

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, no reason to put down the Sox. For them, it's about where they've been (2005) and for us, it's about where we are going. They're probably happy with their situation and we're happy with ours.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
What is with you Cub fans around here? This has nothing to do with the Sox.

trollsox_zps155c3567.png

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Well, the Sox got themselves in this situation by going for it all of the time and it has paid off with playoff appearances and a championship. All I've heard from Sox fans talking **** since is that they won the world series in 2005. So there is no need for Cubs fans to rub the prospect/future thing in their face, no need to sink to that same level. Just say "You guys won the World Series in 2005, congrats"

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
What is with you Cub fans around here? This has nothing to do with the Sox.

When a Sox fan attempts (albeit feebly) to degrade one of our best prospects, I wouldn't think responding in-kind is out of line?

Yeah, no reason to put down the Sox. For them, it's about where they've been (2005) and for us, it's about where we are going. They're probably happy with their situation and we're happy with ours.

I would think they'd be happy, given that they won recently and we haven't won in 100+ years. And that's what makes the inferiority complex among some Sox fans so mystifying.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I would think they'd be happy, given that they won recently and we haven't won in 100+ years. And that's what makes the inferiority complex among some Sox fans so perplexing.

They're turning into the Cubs and we're turning into the Yankees while they're coming off a 100 year reign of superiority over us. It can't be an easy adjustment. I hope they figure everything out and become good so we can have a rivalry with them.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Everybody jump to conclusions!

tumblr_lon5josiZy1qzmr3jo1_500.jpg

And I know not to trust weather forecasts this far out, but looking like a rainy week+ in the area. Just hoping it's sunny on Sunday, as I'm about 50% sure that I'll be going to the Sox/Tigers game for the cheap seats and to enjoy a long weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad