OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVI - Farewell, Samardzija

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Right, but I was under the impression that other teams who have the cap space could offer Melo the same max deal that the Knicks can, except for 1 year shorter.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
If the Cubs trade Castro, it'd most likely be in a trade for a proven, quality starting pitcher. That was a need of the Yankees. And now Tanaka is getting an MRI. So, again, what do the Yankees have to offer? Nothing right now. It takes two to tango. The Yanks can keep looking for a prom date.

Phelps is available.

The Cubs aren't trading Castro. I don't see the point of even talking about it.

Backlog is a bad thing if you have three per position.

:laugh:

Like their first rounder even compares to the value of Castro.

You're telling me if the Yankees got a higher 1st round draft pick on a season they do, the Cubs should ought to reject it?

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Scott Miller‏@ScottMillerBbl·4 mins
Sources: The #Cubs have extended scouting director Jason McLeod's contract by 2 years.

This is huge. I love it.

Russell has a LONG way to go and starting out 0-9 doesnt help but they say his makeup is as solid as it gets. Happy with Russell as a SS prospect and Almora for CF. Both extremely tough positions to fill at the major league level.

No he doesn't. The expectation is 2015.

What do the Yankees have to offer? Gary Sanchez is nowhere near Baez, Russell, Alcantara, and especially Castro. Plus, they have Schwarber as a future catcher if that's where the organization wants him.

The Yankees can be interested in shortstops in the best system in baseball all they want, but I just don't see the Cubs and Yankees as logical trade partners.

The Yankees can't acquire anyone significant by trade. All the Mets have to offer would be Harvey, who's value is depressed because of the injury. Syndergaard and Wheeler don't make a good offer and de Grom is a back of the rotation starter.

Move Baez to third, Russell to 2B, Bryant to LF, Schwarber to RF and you absolutely can get away with an Adam Eaton/Ryan Hannigan CF/C combo

People need to get the idea that Bryant has vastly exceeded his expectations of being able to field 3rd. He's getting Gold Glove praise.

There are three "left-side-of-the-infield" positions and unless you are enamored with Valbuena, the Cubs have precisely one major-leaguer filling them. Castro's defense would play significantly better at 2b, and neither Russell nor Baez are stone-cold locks to be able to play MLB SS (though both *probably* could handle it).

As someone said above, you can trade anyone if you are blown away enough, but the Cubs don't have any sort of infield surplus yet. Maybe they will in 18 months or so if everything goes perfectly, which it so rarely does.

As long as Russell doesn't grow out of it, he'll be fine. That's the only worry.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
The best package the Yankees could build would be around Sanchez and Jagielo. Two guys that profile as solid starters rather than stars. That doesn't get you Castro.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Backlog is a bad thing if you have three per position.

Baseball positions are more fluid than that. A shortstop can more or less play anything if their bat can justify it. Manny Machado was "blocked" in Baltimore playing SS his entire minor league career except for 2 games and was immediately an elite defensive 3b in the majors.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Baseball positions are more fluid than that. A shortstop can more or less play anything if their bat can justify it. Manny Machado was "blocked" in Baltimore playing SS his entire minor league career except for 2 games and was immediately an elite defensive 3b in the majors.

Exactly. You don't get to play shortstop at a high level without being an exceptional athlete.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
You're telling me the Yankees first round pick as stands is worth Castro? I knew the **** out there was good, but damn.

I don't think you really know the worth of Castro.

Don't tell me he's acting like the Dominican Babe Ruth without a ring. :naughty:

By the way, how come that Robin Ventura isn't in serious business mode at the moment? It's already bad enough even Nolan Ryan is still beating him in the ring argument, and Nolan was part of that 69 Miracle Mets team. :(

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Shh, no one tell him you can't trade picks (aside from comp balance, which the Yanks don't get) in baseball.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Jeff Gravley ‏@jgravleyWRAL 1h
I have learned @CarlosRodon16 is flying to Chicago today to sign #MLB contract. Physical tomorrow & expected to join Winston-Salem. #ncsu

Yay!

Just fantastic news. Hopefully they have enough money left to sign De Oca. White Sox farm system has taken HUGE steps the past couple of years under Hahn.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Watched part of the Cubs v Reds game today. Alcantara was playing 2nd. Hes up for a 2 game call up. This kid can play. Threw a batter out on a very though chance broken bat 1 bouncer to him. Later assisted on a relay po to third on an attempted triple by the Reds third baseman (ball went to the wall past the outfielders). Only part of 1 game but looks like Alcantaras got the goods. Played in the futures game last year. As long as he can hit, Cubs got another major league player in waiting.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
sox bullpen is an affront to baseball

also, sale hasn't walked anyone the past 16.2 innings(at least, not sure when his last walk occurred 3 starts ago)

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
AJ has been designated for assignment by Red Sox

R.I.P.

Barrett+AJ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad