Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Wish there was some way the Cubs could move Heyward

Possibly, not probable. I think Heyward can still rebound to what he once had but we will see. Hopefully Chili Davis will have a big impact on him this offseason.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Relief Pitcher - RP
Starting Pitcher - SP
General Manager - GM
Major League Baseball - MLB

What are the words of return that make it the acroynm 'rtn'? :biglaugh:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Relief Pitcher - RP
Starting Pitcher - SP
General Manager - GM
Major League Baseball - MLB

What are the words of return that make it the acroynm 'rtn'? :biglaugh:
what ever makes you happy..... :cool: in a real non subject. have fun.

RTN

:teach: :teach2:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yes I know all about net neutrality. Im a network engineer.

Music became a big issue because the amount of people that downloaded the music outweighed the people that actually purchased it. Even if someone streams a show, ads are still getting viewed. There is no ads in music and they aren't getting paid for those plays. It's sort of different, but still the same. Even if they took away streaming and made it illegal to consume (right now its only illegal to stream), you can still get those customized online streaming services for 20-35 dollars and have no cable boxes. No cords. I can't imagine cable growing ever again.
Before I moved on to NYC, I was in the music industry right out of college. It was fun for a year working for a major ... but they might have been the dumbest people running a multi billion dollar industry. I actually was on a project about the threat of MP3s, they had no clue and thought they had more time. LOL.

Obviously with new technology and 5G ... it's a changing landscape. However, as a network engineer, you know how regulated the telecommunication industry is. Content for free is dangerous. An affordable a la carte subscription model is the way to go. I suspect content piracy will be greatly restricted in some years (at least for live events - which make sports attractive). It will be good for everyone.

I don't care about screwing the major telecommunications companies. I care about stifling creativity. If you don't reward creativity, then it hampers capitalism.

Reactions: TLEH

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
SD is far better than LA. PETCO is a great stadium. That said, the Padres are awful and don't have a DH. The Angels make sense for Japanese companies sponsoring Ohtani. Chicago's Asian market is more Korean and Chinese. Of course, California dwarfs all when it comes to the Asian market in the US.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Eh, LA is a big market but sports-wise that's a relatively soft landing spot.

The Angels total payroll was about $5 mill less than the Cubs. Any way you slice it, the Angels are not a small market team, nor do they function as one. Obviously the attention is L.A. goes to the Dodgers, but this might be changing with Ohtani with the Angels.

With that said, glad he is with the Angels, as he most likely won't be relevant for playoff baseball for a few years and/or when he leaves the Angels. So, good for the Cubs.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
The Angels total payroll was about $5 mill less than the Cubs. Any way you slice it, the Angels are not a small market team, nor do they function as one. Obviously the attention is L.A. goes to the Dodgers, but this might be changing with Ohtani with the Angels.

With that said, glad he is with the Angels, as he most likely won't be relevant for playoff baseball for a few years and/or when he leaves the Angels. So, good for the Cubs.

No where did I say anything about them being a small-market team or functioning as one.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i am really happy for the Angels but i was totally taken surprise by this. if anything i really thought that Sea followed by the Dodgers would have won.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Trying to think if there is a better athlete that is less well known to the masses than Mike Trout. He's the least talked about "one of the best of all time in his sport" athletes in our lifetime, I feel like.
Bourque if he didn't win a cup with the Avs is the only guy comparable I can think of.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
i am really happy for the Angels but i was totally taken surprise by this. if anything i really thought that Sea followed by the Dodgers would have won.
I wonder if Darvish re signs with the Dodgers? Does he go back to the Rangers?

Reactions: LDF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad