OT/Weird question - Darryl Sittler

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Anyone here know him or how to see him in person? I assume he gets bothered by people all the time. My brother is dying of lung cancer (has less than a year to live). He has a terrible memory of Sittler at Maple Leafs Gardens as a kid in the 70s when he brushed my brother off when looking for an autograph. I thought it would be funny and a nice gift if I could ever get Sittler to sign a jersey for my bro as a surprise. Could be at a public event, whatever.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
my sister was in a tournament his daughter was playing in in the mid-90s and word got around the rink pretty quick to not bother trying to get an autograph. sorry to hear about your brother.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I don't know from experience but a lot of the athletes that were jerks about autographs in their playing years usually are more open when they are old and not as important. Unless there like Michael Jordan or something.

Of course, there's always factors like maybe there having a bad day, in a rush, etc.

Sitler did make an appearance at my work for its 20th anniversary and my boss got his autograph, but he was paid to be there. I didn't go, but theres a picture of my boss with one arm on Sitler and the other on Hazel McCallion which is pretty epic lol.

So I'm guessing he does signings now if that helps.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyone here know him or how to see him in person? I assume he gets bothered by people all the time. My brother is dying of lung cancer (has less than a year to live). He has a terrible memory of Sittler at Maple Leafs Gardens as a kid in the 70s when he brushed my brother off when looking for an autograph. I thought it would be funny and a nice gift if I could ever get Sittler to sign a jersey for my bro as a surprise. Could be at a public event, whatever.

Reach out to the Leafs Community Services.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
very sorry to hear about your brother.

When i was a kid in 1989 or something i remember going to an autograph signing at a store with Wendel Clark and Darryl Sittler. I was SUCH a big Wendel fan and i thought he was cold and unfriendly in person. I remember it being a bit of a letdown back then lol (obviously now i couldn't care less and i still think Wendel was/is awesome). I also remember Sittler being really nice and outgoing which at the time didn't mean that much to me because he was "just some old ex player" in my 10 year old mind. Obviously i got more mindful and respectful of team history as i got older lol..

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
i had occasion to meet Darryl twice, once in 1976 and once around 1985 or so .... he was quite friendly on both occasions ... in 76 it was short, he was en route to an engagement, 85 was at an event and he chatted with everyone there and seemed relaxed and just chilling with some fans

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Sittler went through a very public and difficult time himself losing his wife Wendy @ 53 years old after a very long battle to cancer.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Sittler went through a very public and difficult time himself losing his wife Wendy @ 53 years old after a very long battle to cancer.

Yes, I knew about Wendy so I thought maybe he'd be amiable to the idea. I don't really like eating people's time so I like the Cameo idea above. I could probably source a signed jersey and maybe I could convince him to make a joke out of it like "Sorry I was a dick to you as a kid, here's a signed jersey to make up for it." or similar.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Hope things work out for you HJ.

Had some great memories during my yearly September training camp treks to Maple Leaf Gardens in the 70s. Waiting outside for the players to come out. Met up with Sittler several times. Always courteous & encouraging to us.

George Ferguson, now there's another story. Had lots of tricks in his bag to avoid us....

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I have met him a few times. Sat beside him at a charity dinner. i have a signed pic in my office but never hung it up. He was great with me. I would be shocked if he didn’t help you out.

Reactions: freshwind

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Not sure if anyone's interested but FYI, this went really well. Sittler went above and beyond with a nice personalized message for my brother and I sourced an authenticated signed jersey that Darryl mentioned in the cameo. My bro welled up pretty good.

Also, I found out something I never knew before: my brother told me he only found out a few years ago that the night he got brushed off was literally the day he got traded to Philly. I tell people all the time to never get mad when someone treats you poorly. You never know what's going on in that person's life.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not sure if anyone's interested but FYI, this went really well. Sittler went above and beyond with a nice personalized message for my brother and I sourced an authenticated signed jersey that Darryl mentioned in the cameo. My bro welled up pretty good.

Also, I found out something I never knew before: my brother told me he only found out a few years ago that the night he got brushed off was literally the day he got traded to Philly. I tell people all the time to never get mad when someone treats you poorly. You never know what's going on in that person's life.

What a great thing to do for your brother.. and what an interesting story with full closure!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad