OT: Verizon to pay $1.5B to stream NFL on any device

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I certainly hope so! Although it would probably behoove the NHL to get ahead of the game, and offer gamecenter live as their own mobile streaming platform. I wonder if they could earn more money in ad revenue from hosting their own "Netflix" type of service as opposed to selling the rights to their games to a major provider like Verizon.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Expect more of this as time goes on. TV is not the only way to watch sports anymore. I expect we see streaming devices included as a big part of future TV deals with the sports leagues.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Ratings are down for everything. People consume entertainment differently these days.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I certainly hope so! Although it would probably behoove the NHL to get ahead of the game, and offer gamecenter live as their own mobile streaming platform. I wonder if they could earn more money in ad revenue from hosting their own "Netflix" type of service as opposed to selling the rights to their games to a major provider like Verizon.

Aren't they already doing this and have been for years? The only difference is local streaming rights.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Aren't they already doing this and have been for years? The only difference is local streaming rights.
Sorry, that is what I meant. Being able to see any game without any blackout restrictions. Ideally, you could watch older games, highlights, analysis videos, etc. as well

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Ratings are down for everything. People consume entertainment differently these days.

This is what I think as well. Also, why should I watch every minute? Put the phone on Notification. Goal, Penalty, End of Period. BinG!!!! Then, watch the highlight. This is the way the under-40 crowd will want it.

Big problem for the NHL and all leagues. Not as much $$ in that.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
This is what I think as well. Also, why should I watch every minute? Put the phone on Notification. Goal, Penalty, End of Period. BinG!!!! Then, watch the highlight. This is the way the under-40 crowd will want it.

Big problem for the NHL and all leagues. Not as much $$ in that.

Things go in cycles. Years ago movie theater chains were going bankrupt because you could rent a movie for $3 from Blockbuster. Now Blockbuster is gone and people are buying tickets to weeks in advance for a midnight showing of Star Wars. Go figure.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Indeed. Leagues should be looking at opportunities new trends open instead of the threat to the holly cash cows which are Cable TV networks. For one, advertisement can be a lot better personalized to individuals when consumed online - look at Google & FB. You can have a lot more interaction with fans and between fans creating more engagement.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Things go in cycles. Years ago movie theater chains were going bankrupt because you could rent a movie for $3 from Blockbuster. Now Blockbuster is gone and people are buying tickets to weeks in advance for a midnight showing of Star Wars. Go figure.

Some 25 years ago cable TV companies were amazed to learn they could offer internet service. At first it was very expensive so you saw a lot of internet cafes spring up.

Who knows where we will be in 5/10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad