OT sexual harrassment in the sports broadcast biz

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Report: John Buccigross, Matthew Berry named in harassment complaints against ESPN
Report: John Buccigross, Matthew Berry named in harassment complaints

Bucci is the first NHL-associated broadcaster I've seen be focus of allegations.

Interesting sidebar. I drive for Lyft and today I drove a guy home from airport who works in TV/digital entertainment. He mentioned that the pervasive aura and threat of sexual harrassment cases is leading to fewer women in the workplace; not because of their work quality, but due to potential victim of harrassment and resulting suits. (Also refusing one-on-one meetings with opposite sex/gender so it can't come down to he-said vs she-said.)

Definitely a major paradigm shift in progress.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Boston Globe story does not paint Buccigross well

Adrienne Lawrence describes a toxic environment at ESPN headquarters where men make unwanted sexual and romantic advances under the guise of networking or mentoring, and “mark” women as their own by spreading false rumors about sexual relationships with female employees.

Lawrence accused John Buccigross, a longtime SportsCenter anchor whom she viewed as a mentor, of sending unsolicited shirtless photographs of himself and calling her “dollface,” “#dreamgirl,” and “#longlegs” in messages from 2016 reviewed by the Globe. Lawrence said she tried to remain cordial in the messages but at one point responded: “You need to wear clothes, sir.”

When rumors spread that the two were in a relationship, Lawrence repeatedly complained to company officials and was advised by a supervisor to drop the matter, according to the complaint.

Lawrence said ESPN retaliated against her by reducing her on-air shifts and ultimately denying her a permanent position. The other fellow, a male, received a job offer. The Globe interviewed three former employees whom Lawrence had confided in at the time about her treatment and confirmed her account.

Buccigross, roughly two decades older than Lawrence, acknowledged sending the photos but denied starting any rumors that the two were in a relationship.

“I considered Adrienne to be a friend,” Buccigross said in a statement to the Globe. “I’m sorry if anything I did or said offended Adrienne. It certainly wasn’t my intent.”

Buccigross noted that after he sent the first shirtless picture, Lawrence texted about the possibility of getting together that weekend. Buccigross said they texted frequently over a couple of months and talked about personal issues as well as advice on improving her on-air delivery.

ESPN said it conducted a “thorough investigation” and found Lawrence’s claims to be “entirely without merit.” Lawrence was never guaranteed a permanent position, ESPN said, and it notified her at the same time that other employees were told that their contracts would not be renewed.

I have been working in the TV industry for decades and good natured sexual banter has existed for as long as I have worked in the biz and it always worked both ways. ESPN is a special case simply because where they are located. You leave work and want to socialize in Bristol, Connecticut you most likely will be dealing with others from ESPN as there is nothing else there.

There is also the reality that some staffers sleep their way to promotions ( and that works with both sexes ) and that has been going on since Adam and Eve. The truth is some are coerced into doing it while others do it willingly.

:help:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
NFL has it's share of problems too

A number of current and former NFL Network employees, including Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk, have been suspended from their duties pending an investigation into disturbing sexual harassment allegations by a former employee.
Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor, Donovan McNabb, and former executive producer at NFL Network Eric Weinberger are among those accused, in a complaint obtained by Bloomberg. Weinberger is now the president of Bill Simmons’ media group.
Ex-NFL Network wardrobe stylist Jami Cantor, who filed a wrongful termination suit in October, alleges in an amended complaint that Faulk would ask her "deeply personal and invasive questions" about her sex life. The suit also claims Faulk touched Cantor's breasts and groped her.
Weinberger allegedly sent "several nude pictures of himself and sexually explicit texts" to Cantor. He also allegedly told her to touch his crotch and that she was "put on earth to pleasure me."

Marshall Faulk among NFL Network employees suspended amid sexual harassment allegations

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Report: John Buccigross, Matthew Berry named in harassment complaints against ESPN
Report: John Buccigross, Matthew Berry named in harassment complaints

Bucci is the first NHL-associated broadcaster I've seen be focus of allegations.

Interesting sidebar. I drive for Lyft and today I drove a guy home from airport who works in TV/digital entertainment. He mentioned that the pervasive aura and threat of sexual harrassment cases is leading to fewer women in the workplace; not because of their work quality, but due to potential victim of harrassment and resulting suits. (Also refusing one-on-one meetings with opposite sex/gender so it can't come down to he-said vs she-said.)

Definitely a major paradigm shift in progress.

That's something the guy might have read from the newspapers because I certainly have. The female professionals have apparently been done badly lately as, because of the potential harassment suits, the senior position males now choose not to have the close and confidential mentor-protege-type one-on-one time with them just to be on the safe side, and so the up-and-coming males benefiting from those connections get the in-roads to the interesting jobs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad