OT night in the HFNHL

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Both the Sabres/Flyers and Sharks/Jackets series needed OT to determine winners tonight.

It was actually the second straight game that went into an extra frame for the Flyers and Sabres, and this time it was the Sabres coming out on top 3-2 at 4:56 of the first overtime period on a goal by Tuomo Ruutu - his second of the game, and eighth of the playoffs.

In Columbus, the Sharks and Jackets proved how well matched they are as they took turns gaining and losing leads en route to a 4-4 tie at the end of regulation. San Jose's special teams contributed two powerplay goals, as well as a short-handed marker from Kim Johnsson, while Columbus did all its damage at even strength.

San Jose came out firing in the extra frame, outshooting Columbus 4-2 despite having to kill an elbowing penalty to Craig Rivet. Brodeur stood tall for the home squad, though, and Mark Bell polished off an outstanding performance from the top line by burying his second of the playoffs to send the series to San Jose tied at a game apiece.

Strangely, the GMs of both San Jose and Columbus will not be making the trip.

"Are you kidding?", Columbus GM Doug Emerson asked reporters. "It's Cannes, baby - the Cote d'Azure, all the hottest women in the world are there. It's not like the team needs me here - the kind of scoring I have in mind won't help us on the ice." To which this reporter can only say, riiiiiiiiiight. :shakehead

San Jose General Manager David Astles apparently had a recreational macrame course booked that he really didn't want to miss. "It helps me relax", he said. "The playoffs are so tense..." Once again, :shakehead

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad