Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think I will agree with you on the Doughty goal that this really is nit picking and leave it there,
The real issue with that goal was why was the right side of the D so wide open that a opposition Dman was able to skate in unobstructed on a breakaway.
That really should be the question here. That was an epic defensive breakdown.

Regarding Foegele...I couldnt disagree more. With the reality of the situation (the Kings player coming in hot) that was a bang bang play. That puck had to either be on Foegles stick or get out of the zone stat and for Foegele to have any chance at transitioning the play that puck had to moved up quickly. Its tough to consider it cheating when Foegele was 10 feet ahead of Bouchard. Screwing around in your own zone in that sitaution shouldnt have been an option for Bouchard.
Bouchard made the worst possible decision he could make on that play.

For sure and it didnt even necessarily have to go off the glass.....just up and out off or along the boards.

Doughty goal: watch the reply again, the answer is very obvious. Kulak pinched in hard and got caught, fell to one knee. Desharnais slid over to the left (perhaps too far?) to cover for Kulak and put pressure on the puck carrier, but that opened up the right side and of course our three forwards were all deep in the zone, so only RNH recognized and sprinted back into position too late. Our F1 needs to be more aware there on that pinch.

Foegele: we can agree glass and out was the best move there, but watch that replay again too. Foegele wasn't even looking at Bouchard or the puck. He didn't give him the easy half wall outlet... he just turned his back and skated out of the zone. The pass caromed off the boards just behind him, but if he'd been facing Bouchard he'd have had a play on that puck. They got their signals crossed. In his defense, Foegele was probably assuming the only play was the safe glass and out play... but we had another forward just over the blue line (I'd have to look again, but I think it was Drai), so maybe Bouchard assumed Foegele planned to give him the half-wall option

Reactions: MessierII

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah look... I'm all about errors. I think it's splitting hairs to assign any blame to anyone on that OT goal. That's why I think you were barking up the wrong tree on OT SPCT and OT GAA, since i) statistically it makes no sense to do it and ii) you can't really blame Skinner on that goal.

The biggest errors in the game were (in order of occurrence):
Kempe1: Bouchard+Foegele,
Kempe2: Bouchard,
Doughty: Kulak+Skinner,
Fiala: Skinner.
With a dishonorable mention for whatever defender was too lazy to box out the LA forward from the fly-by screen on Fiala's goal (but it shouldn't have mattered on a shot from that distance)

And all of those happened before OT.

I'll add an honourable mention to RNH not recognizing he had to get moving early in the back check either.

This team's worst defensive moments come off the rush and it's often due to a total inability for some guys to recognize danger in time. I sit upper bowl at all the Oiler games, so I can get a full ice view of quick breaks each direction and see who is doing the right thing or not. Quite often we will have a D man caught a little deep on a rush transition, but will actually have a winger covering for him. Problem arises when the forward either isn't skating, doesn't see which player on the opposition is bursting up ice to join the rush, or both. They'll think they're in a good spot, but then someone burns by them up ice and they're immediately playing catch up creating an odd man look that didn't need to happen. Game 1 we were moving our feet defensively all game, giving them no free looks. Not the case in Game 2.

I find most of the game I'm shouting "turn!" or "skate!" at guys in position, but not at all recognizing that they are about to get burned badly by the trailer on the play bursting up ice.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Doughty goal: watch the reply again, the answer is very obvious. Kulak pinched in hard and got caught, fell to one knee. Desharnais slid over to the left (perhaps too far?) to cover for Kulak and put pressure on the puck carrier, but that opened up the right side and of course our three forwards were all deep in the zone, so only RNH recognized and sprinted back into position too late. Our F1 needs to be more aware there on that pinch.

Foegele: we can agree glass and out was the best move there, but watch that replay again too. Foegele wasn't even looking at Bouchard or the puck. He didn't give him the easy half wall outlet... he just turned his back and skated out of the zone. The pass caromed off the boards just behind him, but if he'd been facing Bouchard he'd have had a play on that puck. They got their signals crossed. In his defense, Foegele was probably assuming the only play was the safe glass and out play... but we had another forward just over the blue line (I'd have to look again, but I think it was Drai), so maybe Bouchard assumed Foegele planned to give him the half-wall option
On the Doughty goal...unfortunatley I deleted the game from my PVR and I think at this point in time I need to move on from that game...lol
So your description makes sense to me. Hopefully the boys think the game a lot better tonight.

Re: the bolded....I am willing to bet that exactly what Foegle was thinking. I have no doubt that he saw the Kings player coming in hot and thought that the puck had to exit the zone and that Bouchard would make the correct play.

My sense is that situation actually played into what was a weakness for Bouchard his first couple of seasons and its something that still haunts him today oocasionally.
That weakness is recognizing the urgency of the situation.
We saw that occasionally during this last season (in O/T against Colorado) and I think that we saw that again in game 2.
It didnt even have to go off the glass...up the boards would have been fine as long as he had enough velocity on the puck to get it out of the zone.
It all comes down to Bouchard not recognizing the urgency of the situation which IMO is something he needs to eliminate from his game.

Reactions: bucks_oil

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
On the Doughty goal...unfortunatley I deleted the game from my PVR and I think at this point in time I need to move on from that game...lol
So your description makes sense to me. Hopefully the boys think the game a lot better tonight.

Re: the bolded....I am willing to bet that exactly what Foegle was thinking. I have no doubt that he saw the Kings player coming in hot and thought that the puck had to exit the zone and that Bouchard would make the correct play.

My sense is that situation actually played into what was a weakness for Bouchard his first couple of seasons and its something that still haunts him today oocasionally.
That weakness is recognizing the urgency of the situation.
We saw that occasionally during this last season (in O/T against Colorado) and I think that we saw that again in game 2.
It didnt even have to go off the glass...up the boards would have been fine as long as he had enough velocity on the puck to get it out of the zone.
It all comes down to Bouchard not recognizing the urgency of the situation which IMO is something he needs to eliminate from his game.

This is exactly my thought too.

The pinch by the Kings was actually a massive mistake, only one upped by an even more massive mistake by Bouchard. If Bouchard simply finds any way to get that puck over the blue line, even if it was an area pass, it's very likely we get a good chance ourselves the other way. He chose to make the soft play though, so we didn't.

Reactions: nabob and guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

The pinch by the Kings was actually a massive mistake, only one upped by an even more massive mistake by Bouchard. If Bouchard simply finds any way to get that puck over the blue line, even if it was an area pass, it's very likely we get a good chance ourselves the other way. He chose to make the soft play though, so we didn't.
Was that a Kings dman bearing down (pinching) on that play? I cant recall which player it was.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Was that a Kings dman bearing down (pinching) on that play? I cant recall which player it was.

Not a D man (pretty sure it was Kopitar), but pinched in the sense of stepping up into the play as the play was transitioning the other way rather than sitting back.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not a D man (pretty sure it was Kopitar), but pinched in the sense of stepping up into the play as the play was transitioning the other way rather than sitting back.
Oh okay. Makes sense.
If you think about it transitioning/moving the puck quickly is a key to beating the 1-3-1 so Foegele was likely doing exactly that.
On that play Foegele had passed the puck off to Bouchard and immediately started to accelerate along the side boards toward the blueline. It makes sense that he thought Bouchard would tranisiton the puck out of the zone assertively (up the boards) in order to beat the incoming forechecker.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Oh okay. Makes sense.
If you think about it transitioning/moving the puck quickly is a key to beating the 1-3-1 so Foegele was likely doing exactly that.
On that play Foegele had passed the puck off to Bouchard and immediately started to accelerate along the side boards toward the blueline. It makes sense that he thought Bouchard would tranisiton the puck out of the zone assertively (up the boards) in order to beat the incoming forechecker.

Yep I think this is it.

The bolded is the biggest difference between "good Bouchard" and "shit Bouchard."

Good Bouchard quickly and decisively moves the puck in all three zones. Turnovers may occur from time to time, but they are largely inconsequential, and are more than made up by the opportunities created by the lightning fast puck movement. This is the version we saw in Game 1, and it fuelled our top 6 roasting them in the first period especially.

Bad Bouchard sits on it, waits around, allows the other team to establish position, then softly floats it somewhere (or turns it over) once the options close. This isn't just on breakouts either, when he's in this "mode" he'll often get the puck with a good look at the offensive blue line, then sit on it, or try and dangle the defending forward, or just turn it over. This is what we got in Game 2.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yep I think this is it.

The bolded is the biggest difference between "good Bouchard" and "shit Bouchard."

Good Bouchard quickly and decisively moves the puck in all three zones. Turnovers may occur from time to time, but they are largely inconsequential, and are more than made up by the opportunities created by the lightning fast puck movement. This is the version we saw in Game 1, and it fuelled our top 6 roasting them in the first period especially.

Bad Bouchard sits on it, waits around, allows the other team to establish position, then softly floats it somewhere (or turns it over) once the options close. This isn't just on breakouts either, when he's in this "mode" he'll often get the puck with a good look at the offensive blue line, then sit on it, or try and dangle, the defending forward, or just turn it over. This is what we got in Game 2.
Perfectly stated. :nod:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Oilers scored 4. The team isn’t just McDavid. Team scores 4- your goalie needs to do his part.
Kings scored 4 in game one. They should have easily won that game. Except there’s two teams playing and a ton of factors you aren’t considering at all with blanket statements.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'll add an honourable mention to RNH not recognizing he had to get moving early in the back check either.

This team's worst defensive moments come off the rush and it's often due to a total inability for some guys to recognize danger in time. I sit upper bowl at all the Oiler games, so I can get a full ice view of quick breaks each direction and see who is doing the right thing or not. Quite often we will have a D man caught a little deep on a rush transition, but will actually have a winger covering for him. Problem arises when the forward either isn't skating, doesn't see which player on the opposition is bursting up ice to join the rush, or both. They'll think they're in a good spot, but then someone burns by them up ice and they're immediately playing catch up creating an odd man look that didn't need to happen. Game 1 we were moving our feet defensively all game, giving them no free looks. Not the case in Game 2.

I find most of the game I'm shouting "turn!" or "skate!" at guys in position, but not at all recognizing that they are about to get burned badly by the trailer on the play bursting up ice.

Thanks for this... I wondered about which of the three forwards were at fault there. The replays I looked at had the forwards mostly cropped out, so you couldn't really see who was the high forward and should have been dropping back to cover for Kulak's pinch.

Always nice to be in person.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I'm sure in my mind Bouchard thought it was a "possession" play. It's all a matter of perspective and his offensively biased brain gives us (generally) more than it takes... but boy oh boy it would be nice if he could find a better balance of risk/reward in his game. I still believe he will... it comes late for some.

Also... still think Foegele broke a wingers cardinal rule there of "strong side wingers don't leave the zone until the puck does"... it's called cheating for offense.

Reactions: K1984

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It was a close series the last 2 years so I'm expecting a close series again this year. I think the winner of this series makes it to the Cup final.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm sure in my mind Bouchard thought it was a "possession" play. It's all a matter of perspective and his offensively biased brain gives us (generally) more than it takes... but boy oh boy it would be nice if he could find a better balance of risk/reward in his game. I still believe he will... it comes late for some.

Also... still think Foegele broke a wingers cardinal rule there of "strong side wingers don't leave the zone until the puck does"... it's called cheating for offense.
Ah...but Foegele was still in the zone when Bouchard passed the puck.
He was headed up ice but he hadnt left the zone yet. :nod:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The few defensive breakdowns EDM had, the Kings scored on. Skinner needed to make a save and at the very least the key saves late. He did not do that. While certain players need to be better, Skinner is the last line of defense and he needs to be better as well. He was making those saves during the regular season and hasn't in the playoffs. I had said at the start he just needs to be average. He hasn't been. And this team won't win if he continues to be this way. If he sucks again tonight I hope Pikard starts.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Kings scored 4 in game one. They should have easily won that game. Except there’s two teams playing and a ton of factors you aren’t considering at all with blanket statements.
lol- I don’t think you are making the argument you think you are…lol…the kings scored 4 in game 1 because Skinner sucks in the playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
@Captain Fantastic crushing loss. I still say we beat these guys in 5

Also I’m gonna watch this on the weekend. A damn fine Norris movie. Bill super foot Wallace is in it too! Unreal. Lots of good action
View attachment 859369
🤣
Youngblood-1969716974.jpg

• Love
Reactions: tardigrade81

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

I’m not even sure what you are talking in regards to Bouchard. That’s just bias and keying in on every error. He is, with an XGAR of 88%, the best on the team for balancing risk reward. Ekholm gets all the credit for “helping” Bouchard- yet no one seems to recognize Ekholm playing the best hockey of his career alongside Bouchard.

On that play you are referring to- Foegele made a weak play down low, then Drai did a fly by.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
lol- I don’t think you are making the argument you think you are…lol…the kings scored 4 in game 1 because Skinner sucks in the playoffs

Nope I’m proving that you can’t simply predict the winner based on how many goals one team scores. It’s completely illogical. I’ll fully admit that Skinner hasn’t been good enough. But simply claiming that any time a team scores four goals should be an automatic win in nonsense.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Nope I’m proving that you can’t simply predict the winner based on how many goals one team scores. It’s completely illogical. I’ll fully admit that Skinner hasn’t been good enough. But simply claiming that any time a team scores four goals should be an automatic win in nonsense.

You’re missing the point. If your team scores 4 goals in the playoffs- that should enough to win. This is just statistically true

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Why do Americans always put crappy singers for the anthems? Not as bad as Kissel, but still... lol.

Doughty is shitting himself!

Reactions: nabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad