Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
That IMO was more about the predictability of the Oilers PP. Talbot knew that play and all he had to do was push off strong and make himself big.
Make Drai make a perfect shot.
Good save for him but the Oilers need to be a little less predictable.
100% but even then if that puck is 6" higher its a goal. also could see the set up the play is now to slide drai over in that spot but hit hyman on the opposite side of the net. if i could bet online on specifics i would bet they score that play in the next game or 2

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I also think that the legendary "Campbell saving the day" narrative from Game 4 last year is overblown.

There were 2-3 chances early when he came into that game where he had no idea where the puck was, but was fortunate to have it hit him. Outside of that the Oilers dominated down the stretch in that game and didn't really give up too many looks. With time (and a bit of spin from Campbell lovers) the story has seemed to morph into Campbell standing on his head to save the day, when I just don't think that is in any way true.

I remember a couple of the early ones were a bit lucky, but he settled down and ultimately 27 saves on 28 shots may not be saving the day but is a hell of lot better than what Skinner has ever done unless the team jumps out to a 3-0 or 4-0 lead in the first period.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
On the bright side Holloway had himself a game and continues to get better.
Yup. Feel bad for the kid to have a game like that and not be able to really enjoy it because the team lost. He didn’t even play 10:00 last night and found a way to make himself noticed.

Kulak too. Great shot by him. The Oilers are scoring nice goals. And creating quite a number of good opportunities all up and down the lineup. The Kings have been making a lot fewer plays imo but had the benefit of some fortunate bounces in both games. I’m not even that mad about Skinner. My expectations were so low that about the only goal that really made me groan was the one from way out along the wall.

Defense and goaltending the same old story with this team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kings were getting away with lots. Late hits, stick holds, interferences. Plus they bought the dive by PLD when Perry gave him a small tug.

Game 1 was better officiated between the whistles. But it was open season to do whatever they wanted against us in the scrums. Like is the NHL really going to say it’s okay to punch a guy like Nuge 3 times in the head to pop his helmet off?
Nuge doesn't have to be a Sedin and just take it. Nuge can actually fight. Most of the Oilers are giving what they get. Lots of hits, mayhem in series and top players are being targeted. Its a bit concerning that McD has made himself available as he has for hits. Byfield crushed him along the boards in third periold. PLD has laid him out in both games. I know McD approaches the game as if he's unstoppable but any of these hits can start to slow him down.

Conversely the Oilers hitting game plan was to nail Doughty and Kempe any time they could. It makes sense.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I dont see people “losing their shit” either way in the discourse. But I do see concern with how many goals are being let in in play off hockey. The major concern going into the playoffs was goaltending and the first two games haven’t done much to dispel the concern. There’s lots of series left and only one way for goaltending to go. It would be hard to be worse.
While I'm bitching about Skinner a lot, to be clear, I think he was good in Game 1 and contributed to the eventual result by keeping them off the board in the first ten minutes of the second period.

Last night was atrocious.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
100% but even then if that puck is 6" higher its a goal. also could see the set up the play is now to slide drai over in that spot but hit hyman on the opposite side of the net. if i could bet online on specifics i would bet they score that play in the next game or 2
You could be right but its crazy to think just how perfect Drias shot has to be on that play.
If a goalie can push off strong (and make himself big) he has a very good chance of making that save 9 times out of 10.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Except many goalies do stop chance like that. They actually stop chances like that more than half the time even.

I wouldn't complain about goals 1 or 5, if it wasn't also for goals 3 and 4, coupled with literally zero saves on what some may call a five alarm scoring chance. No goalie that you'd expect to lead a team on a playoff run should have allowed all 4 of those goals. 2 at most would be reasonable, and the team would have won if he limited those 4 to only 2.

Well I agree with the final statement. My point is you are criticizing the wrong goals when you focus in on OT SPCT and OT GAA. I mean it's the tyranny of small numbers. Any goalie who gets scored on in OT has no chance on that night to pad stats with additional time on ice or additional saves made after the key event (goal against) has happened. ... so any goalie on a team that doesn't show up to play in OT is going to have terrible stats maybe entirely independent of their own play.

I'm good with criticizing goalies, just criticize them for the level of errors on a given play that you would criticize other players for. There were no major errors on either Kempe goals, or on Kopitar's, whereas we all saw the errors committed on those plays by Skinner's teammates.

And... to your point: you are actually more peeved by the Fiala goal or (to a lessor extent) the Doughty goal. And I agree, he messed up big on Fiala and overplayed Doughty... stop those and there is no OT.

PS: Why isn't anyone talking about Ceci? He messed up on the "easy" tap in, putting it wide of a gaping net and where the heck was he while Nurse and Skinner were hung out to dry on Kopitar's OT goal? Those two mistakes also directly caused a two-goal swing and he was the biggest offender on both of those plays.

TLDR: It's a team and there were mistakes all over the ice. Everybody needs to bear down.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Dallas deserve to be down 2-0. They are failing at the elemental thing in hockey. They are failing to score goals. You lose 99.5% of games where you score one goal. Just what it is.

hellebucks constant curse is he plays for Winnipeg a team that doesn't defend very good imo. Despite the GAA stats this season being tops, this is because of Hellebuck saving bacon, and not because of the Jets in front of him. But against a top Vegas team or this year Colorado, both SC threats, Hellebuck can't save the fort. The teams he's pllaying against in playoffs are too good and generate fantastic scoring chances, like the Oilers do.
Fair enough. We’ll see what game 3 brings, I think we’ll play a lot more like game 1.
Sure hope so anyway

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I also think that the legendary "Campbell saving the day" narrative from Game 4 last year is overblown.

There were 2-3 chances early when he came into that game where he had no idea where the puck was, but was fortunate to have it hit him. Outside of that the Oilers dominated down the stretch in that game and didn't really give up too many looks. With time (and a bit of spin from Campbell lovers) the story has seemed to morph into Campbell standing on his head to save the day, when I just don't think that is in any way true.
Campbell did save that game for the Oilers. Regardless of whether you think so. Skinner was rattled. It wasn't just being down 3-0, they were all questionable plays by Skinner and he looked very shaky. Without a goalie reset and Campbell stopping 27/28 shots and some HDSC that game is lost.

Reactions: TB12

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Why is it cup expectations though? The goaltending isn’t good enough to get out of the west let alone march through 4 rounds. I love watching Edmonton play but come on, you can see they have significant holes to fill.

It’s the same story in Toronto, just because a player has a godly 69 goals - without a stellar goaltender and D core, you aren’t winning the cup. Just have to be realistic sometimes.
Because the team is top 5 in most offensive and defensive metrics, and the ones they aren't, they are still top close to top 10. Skinner has also shown that he can put together a month of good goaltending, and the team has shown they can limit chances to 2 or 3 GA per game.

We have the best player since Lemieux and another top 5 forward in the league.

If the rest of the team plays literally average, I see no reason we couldn't win a cup. A 0.900 wins us last nights game. I don't think it's unrealistic to hold players to baseline level of doing their jobs. I'm not asking for skinner to put up multiple games of 0.920 and steal a series. Just make some saves.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nuge doesn't have to be a Sedin and just take it. Nuge can actually fight. Most of the Oilers are giving what they get. Lots of hits, mayhem in series and top players are being targeted. Its a bit concerning that McD has made himself available as he has for hits. Byfield crushed him along the boards in third periold. PLD has laid him out in both games. I know McD approaches the game as if he's unstoppable but any of these hits can start to slow him down.

Conversely the Oilers hitting game plan was to nail Doughty and Kempe any time they could. It makes sense.
Saw lots of oilers turn a blind eye to a bunch of dirt the kings were throwing too though. I think there’s a directive not to let the kings draw them into a muck it up contest. Not sure if thats the right move though. In the play in question Refs were right in there after Nuge had already taken 3 random shots to the head.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well I agree with the final statement. My point is you are criticizing the wrong goals when you focus in on OT SPCT and OT GAA. I mean it's the tyranny of small numbers. Any goalie who gets scored on in OT has no chance on that night to pad stats with additional time on ice or additional saves made after the key event (goal against) has happened. ... so any goalie on a team that doesn't show up to play in OT is going to have terrible stats maybe entirely independent of their own play.

I'm good with criticizing goalies, just criticize them for the level of errors on a given play that you would criticize other players for. There were no major errors on either Kempe goals, or on Kopitar's, whereas we all saw the errors committed on those plays by Skinner's teammates.

And... to your point: you are actually more peeved by the Fiala goal or (to a lessor extent) the Doughty goal. And I agree, he messed up big on Fiala and overplayed Doughty... stop those and there is no OT.

PS: Why isn't anyone talking about Ceci? He messed up on the "easy" tap in, putting it wide of a gaping net and where the heck was he while Nurse and Skinner were hung out to dry on Kopitar's OT goal? Those two mistakes also directly caused a two-goal swing and he was the biggest offender on both of those plays.

TLDR: It's a team and there were mistakes all over the ice. Everybody needs to bear down.

thanks for pointing that one out. I made reference to it on Twitter while supporting his play on the OT goal as I don't think he made a big mistake on the OT goal as he erased Byfield on the play but got burned slightly by not accounting for his stick, but I was more frustrated by him whiffing on the empty net that eliminates the need for OT.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fair enough. We’ll see what game 3 brings, I think we’ll play a lot more like game 1.
Sure hope so anyway
Kind of expect a split in LA. Winning both for either team would be very difficult. But Kings have last line change and get the matchups they want. This can allow them to work different line configs and experiment. Byfield particularly will be bigger in the two upcoming games, excuse pun.

I expect it'll be 2-2 series tie coming out of LA. But its a mistake to give that Kings team hope.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You could be right but its crazy to think just how perfect Drias shot has to be on that play.
If a goalie can push off strong (and make himself big) he has a very good chance of making that save 9 times out of 10.

"If a goalie can push off strong (and make himself big)"...

You are making it sound easy. There was NOTHING routine about that Talbot save. It was a thing of beauty and it only happens if the goalie is so aware of what's happening on the ice that he's also cheating with near equal/full weight on his right (pushing) foot so that at the moment required he can dig in and push to get back to where Drai was AND simultaneously playing McD straight up/honest enough that he's cutting the angle and out far enough that McD doesn't just elect to keep going skater's left and shoot or wrap Talbot.

That was tactical mastery by Talbot. Probably a better save (and harder to pull off) than Bobrovsky's successful desperation attempt.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Saw lots of oilers turn a blind eye to a bunch of dirt the kings were throwing too though. I think there’s a directive not to let the kings draw them into a muck it up contest. Not sure if thats the right move though. In the play in question Refs were right in there after Nuge had already taken 3 random shots to the head.
The Kings are absolute shit on the PP so there is no reason not to take things at hand. The Oilers are getting the better scoring chances on the Kings PP. The Kings have zero PP goals. The Kings did not even muster one HDSC on their PP's last night. Not one. This being one feature as well of how good the Oilers are playing. Skinner wasn't forced to make one difficult short handed save and yet let in 5 EV goals in a game. That ain't great.

Now contrast the amount of times Talbot is being forced to make 5 bell saves on the PK. On one PP the Oilers had two dangerous scoring chances within 12 secs of it starting. That has to be overwhelming and yet Talbot didn't fold.

Last edited:
Reactions: bone

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
"If a goalie can push off strong (and make himself big)"...

You are making it sound easy. There was NOTHING routine about that Talbot save. It was a thing of beauty and it only happens if the goalie is so aware of what's happening on the ice that he's also cheating with near equal/full weight on his right (pushing) foot so that at the moment required he can dig in and push to get back to where Drai was AND simultaneously playing McD straight up/honest enough that he's cutting the angle and out far enough that McD doesn't just elect to keep going skater's left and shoot or wrap Talbot.

That was tactical mastery by Talbot. Probably a better save (and harder to pull off) than Bobrovsky's successful desperation attempt.
I am not trying to understate how difficult that is but knowing that shot is a virtual certainty really helps.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
thanks for pointing that one out. I made reference to it on Twitter while supporting his play on the OT goal as I don't think he made a big mistake on the OT goal as he erased Byfield on the play but got burned slightly by not accounting for his stick, but I was more frustrated by him whiffing on the empty net that eliminates the need for OT.

Thanks I'll watch the Ceci OT goal against again... my "where was he" was in part an honest question. I haven't rewatched the highlights. I do also remember cursing the forwards for a lack of awareness in the neutral zone... it was 1AM here.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Oh I also forgot people around here calling the Nurse own goal in game 1 a "fluke". This exact play has happened so many times against him, it cannot be a fluke. It's a feature, not a bug.
He was standing 5 feet in front of the net. The shot shouldn’t have even hit him at that distance. I know he has scored some own goals but cmon that was an absolute fluke. Much like the Kempe goal smacked out of the air. Bouch had his man the whole way he attempted to knock the puck down with his stick and instead it went up higher in the air and allowed Kempe to bat it in. I don’t blame Bouch on that one either he had his guy covered and 9/10 that puck goes down to the ice not up and towards Kempe.

Last edited:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Kind of expect a split in LA. Winning both for either team would be very difficult. But Kings have last line change and get the matchups they want. This can allow them to work different line configs and experiment. Byfield particularly will be bigger in the two upcoming games, excuse pun.

I expect it'll be 2-2 series tie coming out of LA. But its a mistake to give that Kings team hope.
McD will be bigger too, Cup or bust

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

How exactly was that not saving the day?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Campbell did save that game for the Oilers. Regardless of whether you think so. Skinner was rattled. It wasn't just being down 3-0, they were all questionable plays by Skinner and he looked very shaky. Without a goalie reset and Campbell stopping 27/28 shots and some HDSC that game is lost.

Campbell also looked shaky. Just had the fortune of a few that he didn't see whatsoever happen to hit him. Regardless of whether you think so.

How exactly was that not saving the day?

He filled space in the crease while the Oilers pushed back hard the other way. He is not the reason they won that game.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Campbell also looked shaky. Just had the fortune of a few that he didn't see whatsoever happen to hit him. Regardless of whether you think so.

He filled space in the crease while the Oilers pushed back hard the other way. He is not the reason they won that game.
This is subjective. You don't know with certainty which shots Campbell saw, or didn't see. just saying.

The only quantifiable thing is that Cambpell came in after Skinner shit the bed and stopped 27/28 shots the rest of the way and several being saves off HDSC. Without which we lose.

Your "but he had some luck" seems narrative, and yes I'm good at narrative myself, I'm not calling you out.

Reactions: brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Skinner was fine last game with a couple fluke goals late, not sure why we are counting those. Yeah he wasn’t great last night… that’s not what scares me. McDavid was completely neutralized. That’s what scares me.
It gets me that you believe stuff like this. Or worse you don't believe it but just say stuff like this for kicks here. Unfortunately its the latter Keith.

Not one LA King would say they Neutralized McD. Or believe it.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

I don't understand this cope. It won't do anything for the Oil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad