Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I complimented them for a great game 1 win. They were full marks. This was not that. But by the same measure the poster in question shows up whenever Skinner lets in a goal. It’s their entire personality. They live and die in Skinners play. It’s honestly sad.

Are you seriously talking about me or someone else? If so you really have no clue, and posters like Drai will support me on that.

I haven't spoken this badly about Skinner in quite some time because he played well for 2/3rd of the season. I even spoke highly of his first game. But last night was unforgiveable. He literally gave away a winnable game pissing away 2 goals by our 4th line and a goal from a 3rd pairing d-man. Those are games you have to win.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Are you seriously talking about me or someone else? I haven't spoken this badly about Skinner in quite some time, because he played well for 2/3rd of the season. But last night was unforgiveable. He literally gave away a winnable game pissing away 2 goals by our 4th line and a goal from a 3rd pairing d-man. Those are games you have to win.
I’m not talking about you. Skinner was not good this game but I don’t think the team was all that great either. The top dogs were very quiet at even strength and our most expensive d-man faltered at a key moment yet again.

Reactions: bone

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not buying the negative takes on Skinner…doesn’t make sense.
Yes, he was a part of the early season crap start ( like a whole lot of other Oilers), but he was also a large part of the resurgence that finished 2nd in the Pacific. Finished the season in the top ten of goalies.
Last years’s playoffs don’t matter now. He was a rookie then and has come a long way since then.
And…looking around these playoffs….would you rather have Hellebuyck? Oettinger? Hill ( he had a great playoffs last year)? They’re not doing so hot these days.
Nobody expected us to win 16 straight playoff games. Or did you?
All of those goalies have a goals saved above expected per 60 that is 1 goal per 60 better than Skinner so far these playoffs if you look deeper than their counting stats. Of course I take Helle and Oettinger over Skinner they're both a lot better and facing much better offensive teams than the LA Kings. I'm ok with giving Skinner a chance to bounce back, but if he gives you one bad game one good game eventually they need to try Pickard.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Matt Kassian perfectly describes Nurse and his misplay on the O/T goal...

Reactions: PuckG

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I’m not talking about you. Skinner was not good this game but I don’t think the team was all that great either. The top dogs were very quiet at even strength and our most expensive d-man faltered at a key moment yet again.
I'd give the players a pass. They were down 1-3 and redeemed themselves by tying it up twice to 4-4.

Skinner had all game to shut it down. He didn't. The moment we had any momentum he killed it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So I was interested in what the lowest sv% was in the playoffs to win a cup since the lockout given how abysmal Skinner's stats have been.

Colorado (2022) - Francouz .906/ Kuemper .902
Pittsburgh (2009) - MAF .908
Chicago (2010) - Niemi - .910

So its possible with average to below average goaltending. The majority of cup winners have Sv% ranging from .915 to .940 with most of those in the .920-930 range.

Think thats even more reason to give Pickard a chance if Skinner throws up another .8xx type game.
Just as footnote this season and last through 14 playoff starts (all of them) Skinner has a GAA of 4 or more in 9 of those games. For most clubs that would be a death sentence. Its amazing the Oilers even win some of those games but in hockey, and especially in playoffs you don't commonly win games where your goalie lets in 4 or more on average.

Keeping in mind as well there is no goalie in the entire NHL that is getting even double digit starts the last two seasons while sporting a Save % as bad as .879 or a GAA of 3.81. No other team is remaining with that kind of statline and saying "this is our starter"

Fact of the matter of all the goalies in the NHL past two seasons that have played considerable games only ONE. Vitek Vanacek, who has played 7 games has worse playoff stats than Skinner.

So that its not even a matter of rolling the dice with Skinner and hoping for a good roll. Its been a bad roll 914 times in playoffs. So that the Oilers are having a .350 probability of having a strong start from Skinner each time they play him in playoffs. Realizing that 14 games doesn't make this a definitive matter but there is no change in fortunes the longer this goes on. There hasn't been one yet.

Heres another scary thing. In Skinners last 9 playoff starts he's allowed 4 or more goals in 7 of those games. Thats .777 of those games.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So I was interested in what the lowest sv% was in the playoffs to win a cup since the lockout given how abysmal Skinner's stats have been.

Colorado (2022) - Francouz .906/ Kuemper .902
Pittsburgh (2009) - MAF .908
Chicago (2010) - Niemi - .910

So its possible with average to below average goaltending. The majority of cup winners have Sv% ranging from .915 to .940 with most of those in the .920-930 range.

Think thats even more reason to give Pickard a chance if Skinner throws up another .8xx type game.

Like what majority said, Oilers just need average all year to be successful. It's too bad Skinner is well below that.

Coupled with his arrogant [or as some people like to spin it 'confident'] personality, not sure there's gonna be much of a difference this year. Guy needs an epiphany of sorts and realize he's a huge part of the problem; until he acknowledges what he needs to change, its gonna be the same shit all over again

Wonder if team would even entertain Soup hah

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Okay thanks. Since you and I were going at it a bit here, I was wondering. I was especially confused as one of my key points from Game 1 was Skinner having a solid 5-10 minutes stretch to start the second period that allowed the Oilers to survive the Kings biggest push of the game and come out of it 4-0.

Top dogs certainly weren't a factor last night, but by the same token we got two goals from the 4th line and a goal from a 3rd pairing defenseman. When your depth scoring shows up giving the top dogs a night off from having to be the heroes, your team needs to pull it off. I won't absolve the rest of the team as they made some mistakes (like all teams do) but I just feel Skinner was a bigger factor to the negative than any other specific player.

I also think despite the team not having as strong an offensive game, they had a better defensive game overall compared to Game 1, but the goaltending couldn't bail them out even once.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I seethe with jealousy at that Bobrovsky save.

When's the last time an Oiler goalie made a save that epic?
When's the last time an Oiler goalie saved a 100% surefire goal???

I think it's been over a decade before we saw a goalie outright rob a shooter like that in Oiler silks.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
how-do-you-do-fellow-kids-steve-buscemi.gif

Just showed up in the thread. Are we awful and about to lose the series in 5 games or are things still chill in here?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I also agree with Matt Kassian's take on Stuart Skinner....

Simply too many excuses for Skinner

The stats (not even advanced stats if you doubt them…) bear out that he’s barely treading water in the playoffs.

The much maligned Campbell had to bail out the team in the first round last year or it was likely they were going to lose that series.

Skinner seems to struggle with focus and his lack of athletic ability / reflexes (particularly lateral movement) is exposed in playoff intensity.

And to top it off, he pseudo-confident arrogance spells that he isn’t willing to make any changes to become a better goalie. That might (hopefully) change but the maturity isn’t really there yet

Now the not overly offensively skilled Kings team likely smells blood and will continue to push on his weaknesses. This could get really ugly

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
I complimented them for a great game 1 win. They were full marks. This was not that. But by the same measure the poster in question shows up whenever Skinner lets in a goal. It’s their entire personality. They live and die in Skinners play. It’s honestly sad.
Dude, you literally came on here and trashed Campbell as often as you could. During a time in the season when both goalies were equally trash.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

The stats (not even advanced stats if you doubt them…) bear out that he’s barely treading water in the playoffs.

The much maligned Campbell had to bail out the team in the first round last year or it was likely they were going to lose that series.

Skinner seems to struggle with focus and his lack of athletic ability / reflexes (particularly lateral movement) is exposed in playoff intensity.

And to top it off, he pseudo-confident arrogance spells that he isn’t willing to make any changes to become a better goalie. That might (hopefully) change but the maturity isn’t really there yet

When your team scores 11 goals across 2 games, you shouldve won both.
But nope, not the Oilers with Skinner lol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Now the not overly offensively skilled Kings team likely smells blood and will continue to push on his weaknesses. This could get really ugly
No...not excuses...just a recognition of how bad the team was in front of him.
To suggest that this game falls entirely on Skinner is extremely short sighted.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Be thankful Vegas crapped the bed in game 82 or we would probably be down 0-2 and looking at a first round exit. Hopefully can figure out some of the deficiencies that plague the team before it’s too late, though they have had years to figure it out and it seems to never change. The talent is there, I can dream…..

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I seethe with jealousy at that Bobrovsky save.

When's the last time an Oiler goalie made a save that epic?
When's the last time an Oiler goalie saved a 100% surefire goal???

I think it's been over a decade before we saw a goalie outright rob a shooter like that in Oiler silks.
Roloson on cheecho? Or maybe cujo on niewendyke 😅😅

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
No...not excuses...just a recognition of how bad the team was in front of him.
To suggest that this game falls entirely on Skinner is extremely short sighted.

It isn’t just one game though, it’s nearly every playoff game

Smith had a worse team in front of him and was able to make the conference finals vs a better LA team and a vaunted, but skilled Flames team.

Contenders need more consistency from their goalies. Niemi was more consistent than this guy and no one even remembers he won a Cup. I honestly don’t think that Hawks team was much better than this one (even as stacked as it was it had holes too).

Reactions: TB12 and Canovin

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
It’s only one loss, we weren’t going 16-0 yet some here are really losing their shit.
Skinner could have been better but in OT you’re playing with fire. We never had the lead all night, the Kings were desperate not to go back to LA down 2-0 and Talbot gave them some great goaltending.
Turn the page, look around the league, most series were a split after game 2.
It’s called adversity and now it’s our turn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad