Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

popo

Aug 9, 2005
I kind of disagree. I would have liked to see Skinner challenge a bit more there. He shot from like 20 feet out. I guess hindsight.
The 1st goal and 5th goal were great shots top corners. Shooters go there on Skinner because he was standing on his own goal line; too deep in his crease. Not coming out of his crease to face the shooters.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
It goes past that. They played their last 5 regular season games with zero intensity to end the season and completely mailed it in for the last 2 games. That kind of stuff can carry into the playoffs.
To be fair they were forced to play those last 5 games in 7 nights. There was clearly an attempt to burn them out right before the playoffs. I don’t think I have ever seen a team have to handle something like that to end a season before. Absolutely inexcusable by the schedule makers especially when the games in the first half were so lopsided.

Reactions: TB12

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The 1st goal and 5th goal were great shots top corners. Shooters go there on Skinner because he was standing on his own goal line; too deep in his crease. Not coming out of his crease to face the shooters.
I think it’s Skinners biggest weakness. Kopitar was 30+ feet out and Skinner was already backed up to the blue paint. Kopitar sees that at rips it top corner from 25 feet out. It was a great shot though.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
What's the difference between the now or potentially the conference finals? Unlike Vegas, the Kings don't even care about making a playoff run, they just want to beat the Oilers.
Thank God we're not playing Vegas. At least with the kings we can maybe win in 6 or 7.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
People saying they aren't panicking because it's 1-1, I get it but that's not really the point.

Majority of people panicking and getting mad aren't going so because we think the Oilers will lose to LA. No one cares about this series; we will win. The issue is we have cup expectations and if this is the goaltending and defensive idiocy you get against LA, it doesn't speak highly of our chance of success against high level opponents.

The team needs to stomp LA out in 5, convincingly, before there's much belief that we have a shot at going deep. It's not direspect to LA, but everyone knows we are the better team. If we're going to have a 6 or 7 game slog against these guys then what are we even doing here. Had 82 games to get the fundamentals down, still giving up umpteen breakaways, brain dead coverage, and scuffed inconsistent goaltending.

Precisely. I'm still not overly concerned about the team finding a way to win this series, but I very concerned about whether they can win any other series after it.

Reactions: North Cole

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I'd sit Perry next game and put in Brown.

LA has had a horse shoe up their ass the last 2 games, Hopefully that luck runs out for them.
Why? Brown brings nothing. Perry is the vet and him and Kane have been solid. Bieksa hit it in the OT intermission saying he expected one of them to score in OT and how they were both punishing the kings down low behind the hashmarks.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I think they recover and win this series like they have the past few years but going forward I don’t like their chances unless something changes. It looks the same as always, and when the Oilers run into battle tested teams who know how to step up their game and get into a team in the playoffs they don’t have the back end or goaltending/smarts to win. Maybe beat Vancouver or Nashville but Vegas or Colorado I am very skeptical.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Lmao those were high danger chances? Compared to Kopitars breakaway?

The Oilers generated a paltry five shots on net after period two. The Oilers have been abysmal in overtime in the McDavid era: 1-1 vs the Sharks, 0-2 against the Ducks, 0-3 against the Jets, 1-4 against the Kings, 0–1 against the Avs, 1-0 against the Flames.

At some point you have to start questioning if this team has it. That’s a terrible record in playoff overtime.

Why are you excluding the 3 OT losses to LA Skinner has delivered on only 9 shots against. At least in the ones Smith or Talbot were in net, the team had time to score and just didn't so it's reasonable to put it entirely on the team.

With Skinner, it's one chance against, and your done in OT. Surprisingly the only OT game he didn't play in the last 22 months Edmonton won because they weren't digging the puck out of their net on the first scoring chance against.

Reactions: frag2 and TB12

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Oh I also forgot people around here calling the Nurse own goal in game 1 a "fluke". This exact play has happened so many times against him, it cannot be a fluke. It's a feature, not a bug.

Reactions: Canovin

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
The stark difference of watching Bobrovsky, Vasilevksy, Swayman VS. Skinner is astounding. It's like they're not even playing the same sport. Watching Bobrovsky push out to cut down angles and challenge shooters and slide cross crease is amazing after watching Skinner stay on his goal line and hope pucks hit him.

That and watching defenseman actually get in lanes to neutralize threats is a treat after watching Nurse-Ceci manage to f*** up every play.

Reactions: iCanada

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Exactly. Good shots, but Skinner didn't get himself ready on either of them to give himself a chance. First one he just assumed the puck would get out instead of assuming it wouldn't and being ready for a quick strike. On the 5th goal he assumed it would have been icing and was casual until Byfield gets a ridiculously fortunate deflection leaving it perfectly placed to have Kopitar skate into it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why are you excluding the 3 OT losses to LA Skinner has delivered on only 9 shots against. At least in the ones Smith or Talbot were in net, the team had time to score and just didn't so it's reasonable to put it entirely on the team.

With Skinner, it's one chance against, and your done in OT. Surprisingly the only OT game he didn't play in the last 22 months Edmonton won because they weren't digging the puck out of their net on the first scoring chance against.
Huh? I didn’t exclude them. I said 1-4 against the Kings. Again, most OTs finish in the first five minutes. You can’t ease your way into it. You have to be on your toes. Allowing a breakaway in OT is inexcusable. 3-11 speaks for itself.

They generated 5 shots in 22 minutes of play. Are you saying that’s good?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
How shocking that Nurse, Ceci, and goaltending are the culprits again. Ceci blindly running out of position and Nurse losing coverage and letting his man get wide open.

Ceci should've been gone last offseason.

I don't have an issue with Ceci on goal 5. He aggressively forced the 2nd forward into nothing but redirecting the puck. Byfield was not an option down ice as a result. This is likely what they want him to do when there are two forwards back in good position like they were there.

I do have an issue with Ceci whiffing on an empty net in the third though.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
At least 2 of the OT losses against the Kings have come with Nurse on the ice, and that's just the ones I can recall.

I would not be surprised if in the last 8 OT losses (Jets, Avs, Kings), Nurse was on for the GWG in at least 75% of them. I would go back and check, but I just can't be assed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad