Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They were fat and happy after game 1, the core 4 all had poor moments in this game. It’s all good though, if they lose this series they’ll surely learn many valuable lessons and be more mature and consistent next year!
McDs line had a quiet night unfortunately. But the Kings big guns made plays all game. Doughty, Kopi, Kempe, Fiala all factored in. We got surprise contributions from Holloway and Kulak, and our core could have had us pulling away.

Reactions: barry halls

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Most of the team had a not so good game. The defense was brutal tonight. Only Ekholm didn't have a bad night in our own zone.

Skinner had a bad game, but 5 of our 6 defensemen made awful plays that led directly to those scoring chances that went in. I get it, we want some big saves from Skinner, but we also need to not hand grade-A scoring chances to the other team too.

I don't blame Skinner on any goal except #4. Could he have made the big save like Talbot did on Drai at the end of the 2nd? Sure, that would have been great. He didn't really make a big save all game truthfully. However, all the goals were good shots or a flubbed breakaway that is difficult to stop. But #4 was a travesty of a goal. It's a goal that pee-wee tenders top 80% of the time. It was simply atrocious. In the playoffs, or really any tight game, you are generally going to lose the game if your tender lets one in like that.

Skinner needs to be a lot better, full stop.

There are other problems with the team in game 2, especially coverage in own zone and breakout passes. But if you don't have tending, you don't have anything.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
McDs line had a quiet night unfortunately. But the Kings big guns made plays all game. Doughty, Kopi, Kempe, Fiala all factored in. We got surprise contributions from Holloway and Kulak, and our core could have had us pulling away.
McDavid has to start going for goals at some point. Lots of guys being shut out at even strength.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
"Hoping that his career fails" and shitting on fellow fans for hoping that their teams' goalie does well? Some of you take this sports fandom thing way too seriously.
There’s a difference between cheering him and defending his play.

When you have posters defending him because apparently only the oilers goalie in the league isn’t expected to make some tough saves.

With an average goalie last night they score maybe 2 goals.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
McDavid has to start going for goals at some point. Lots of guys being shut out at even strength.
Yeh I’d like to see him shoot more. Although, In Game 1 he did that whole rush and stop up and shoot through the defender play once. Same play that was his bread and butter in the 64 goal campaign. That gave me some hope that his shooting would be back for these playoffs. Didn’t find the back of the net on that play and another shot that I remember. But here’s hoping he keeps shooting and starts burying those. Kings kept him and his line to a quiet night last night.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Skinner has to be better - defence was ass but on a cup contending team you need your goalie to buy you some time to get your shit together. Skinner has not once done that in the playoffs.

And for the love of god - please split up Nurse and Ceci. Why are we sticking to this??

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I don't blame Skinner on any goal except #4. Could he have made the big save like Talbot did on Drai at the end of the 2nd? Sure, that would have been great. He didn't really make a big save all game truthfully. However, all the goals were good shots or a flubbed breakaway that is difficult to stop. But #4 was a travesty of a goal. It's a goal that pee-wee tenders top 80% of the time. It was simply atrocious. In the playoffs, or really any tight game, you are generally going to lose the game if your tender lets one in like that.

Skinner needs to be a lot better, full stop.

There are other problems with the team in game 2, especially coverage in own zone and breakout passes. But if you don't have tending, you don't have anything.
Skinner is rocking a .808 save %. He needs to make those saves you don’t blame him for. This is the playoffs- not regular season. Your goalie needs to be one of your best players. Sorry.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There’s a difference between cheering him and defending his play.

When you have posters defending him because apparently only the oilers goalie in the league isn’t expected to make some tough saves.

With an average goalie last night they score maybe 2 goals.
You want Skinner to fail. I applaud your honesty. There’s a few others that could follow suit.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Skinner has to be better - defence was ass but on a cup contending team you need your goalie to buy you some time to get your shit together. Skinner has not once done that in the playoffs.

And for the love of god - please split up Nurse and Ceci. Why are we sticking to this??

Because Ceci is Knob’s son.

All metrics show Ceci is a horrible defensemen. All eye tests show the same. He can’t skate to
Cover ground. He can’t move the puck so the team gets hemmed in. He is bad

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

There’s zero defense for playing Nurse and Ceci together. We know it doesn’t work and have known that for years.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
McLeod’s JR move on the breakaway and Codi Ceci behind Talbot with the puck and somehow flubbing it out the other side made me puke. Meanwhile the Kings score from anywhere.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
There was a point in the 3rd when it was 4-4 and I thought that the Kings looked more composed. More methodical with thier game.
Oilers looked a little scattered to me. They didnt look like a SC contender at all.

They didn't look comfortable because Skinner was a hot mess.

Imagine, you just battled back to tie the game after being down 3-1. You come out for huge 3rd period and your goalie falls on his face 2 mins into the period giving them yet another lead.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I actually don't agree with that. In game one he made a couple of pretty key saves early on before we settled down and dominated.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
McLeod’s JR move on the breakaway and Codi Ceci behind Talbot with the puck and somehow flubbing it out the other side made me puke. Meanwhile the Kings score from anywhere.
When McLeod went on his breakaway I turned to my dad and said “he’s not going to score.” My dad replied “never does”. What a weak attempt.

But they did come to play and skinner didn’t.

Every game counts.

and this one counted for LA, as a result.
Holloway came to play. I’m not sure many other forwards other than Hyman did.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
That failed clear that lead to the first LA goal is still pissing me off. They have all this dynamic speed and offensive talent but in pressure moments the back end, goaltending, and stupidity seems to come into play. Hopefully this changes going forward or it’s the same old thing again this year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd sit Perry next game and put in Brown.

LA has had a horse shoe up their ass the last 2 games, Hopefully that luck runs out for them.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
When McLeod went on his breakaway I turned to my dad and said “he’s not going to score.” My dad replied “never does”. What a weak attempt.

Holloway came to play. I’m not sure many other forwards other than Hyman did.
They scored 4 goals as a team, who f***ing cares who scored. But I guess what you’re indirectly saying (which I kinda agree with sadly) is that 4 goals isn’t enough production when Stu is in the pipes.

But in the play offs it should be and that’s the issue.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
It's not even criticizing Skinner in just this game at this point.

He's sub 88% in the playoffs in his career through 14 playoff games he's appeared in.

The numbers don't lie and going back to that well again and again could be a main reason this team can't go far.

Call it hate but it's a reality that a sub 88% goaltender (after a reasonably big sample size) shows that this goaltender isn't likely to be someone you can depend on to help take you to the promised land.
It really is as simple as this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad