Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No? But usually your coaching staff is smart enough to go "We are starting the other guy cause you are off your game right now". Thats whats being shit on.
Okay but if Pickard started last night that is a terrible look for all involved.

The Avs could have chucked Georgiev into a firey pit in game two. They didn’t and are now in the drivers seat.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No? But usually your coaching staff is smart enough to go "We are starting the other guy cause you are off your game right now". Thats whats being shit on.
No. Drive is shitting on Skinner for wanting the starts.
He's said on multple occasions, and you can correct me if I'm wrong @Drivesaitl , that he doesn't like the fact that Skinner wants all the starts.

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
I like skinner, but his playoff numbers are def not a bright spot

goals against average of 3.71 and a save percentage of . 884 in 13 playoff games for his career.

Vs everyone's numba 1 hated goalie who has a goals against average of 2.28 and a save percentage of .920 in the playoffs in his career in 18 games.

Also didn't Campbell basically have to save the kings series for us last season?

Not saying Campbell is the answer, but not a good look for Skinner with those playoff numbers so far.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Okay but if Pickard started last night that is a terrible look for all involved.

The Avs could have chucked Georgiev into a firey pit in game two. They didn’t and are now in the drivers seat.
Okay? We are talking about last year where Skinner got every start even though it was clear he couldn't anymore. Give him game 3 but if he shits the bed again, you HAVE to be willing to play the other guy for game 4.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Okay? We are talking about last year where Skinner got every start even though it was clear he couldn't anymore. Give him game 3 but if he shits the bed again, you HAVE to be willing to play the other guy for game 4.
If that’s the case then wave the white flag because Pickard isn’t taking us anywhere.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
not worried, keep the boys moving before they get to smoke nashville or vancouver

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Was at the game last night and I’m not too concerned because even with a subpar performance from Skinner and McDavid being an absolutely ghost we still almost pulled it out.

It continues to be the small mistakes that bite us and it’s usually happening with our top 6 on the ice. Prime example was on the first goal, the puck is in our zone with 3 Kings forwards pressuring and none of our forwards are in the defensive zone supporting the breakout, the puck comes up the wall and Leon comes over and has a choice, make the smart play and turn back into your own end to support because you can see the puck is still in your zone and the Kings have your defenders outnumbered or cheat in the other direction and try a weak fly by poke, he turned in the wrong direction.

There was another instance in the third where McDavid was way too puck focused in his own zone, abandoning his position to chase the puck carrier and it collapses our whole defensive structure and almost results in a Kings goal. You could see that Henrique and Hyman are visibly confused because Mcdavid isn’t where he should be and at different times during the shift both of them were pulled out of position because they were covering the middle of the ice that Mcdavid had abandoned while puck chasing. The result is confusion for his teammates and the Oilers running around in their own end and getting caught between checks.

These are the types of mistakes that will lose you games in the playoffs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If that’s the case then wave the white flag because Pickard isn’t taking us anywhere.
And if Skinner plays like crap again and you keep playing him, aren't you doing the same thing?

Was at the game last night and I’m not too concerned because even with a subpar performance from Skinner and McDavid being an absolutely ghost we still almost pulled it out.

It continues to be the small mistakes that bite us and it’s usually happening with our top 6 on the ice. Prime example was on the first goal, the puck is in our zone with 3 Kings forwards pressuring and none of our forwards are in the defensive zone supporting the breakout, the puck comes up the wall and Leon comes over and has a choice, make the smart play and turn back into your own end to support because you can see the puck is still in your zone and the Kings have your defenders outnumbered or cheat in the other direction and try a weak fly by poke, he turned in the wrong direction.

There was another instance in the third where McDavid was way too puck focused in his own zone, abandoning his position to chase the puck carrier and it collapses our whole defensive structure and almost results in a Kings goal. You could see that Henrique and Hyman are visibly confused because Mcdavid isn’t where he should be and at different times during the shift both of them were pulled out of position because they were covering the middle of the ice that Mcdavid had abandoned while puck chasing. The result is confusion for his teammates and the Oilers running around in their own end and getting caught between checks.

These are the types of mistakes that will lose you games in the playoffs.
Good points but my only concern is these are things they need to fix in a hurry because we are playing LA. Later in the playoffs we will be playing teams that will just steam roll us with mistakes like these.
So it could be a blessing playing like this NOW, IF they learn from it and stop doing it.

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
I'm starting to worry he doesn't have a mental concept of what pressure is. Good players elevate in playoffs and can. he brings the same aww shucks enthusiasm every game of the year doesn't matter if its postseason.

Most elite goalies at this level you can see they mentally prepare, get jacked, get adrenaline flowing. The work their stretches, work their edges, skating, they work their flexibility. You watch Skinner mopping about there with his stick as is he's in a Sunday dog park walking fido. This is Skinner.
Ouch but you’d love it if he was winning

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Playoffs expose players

- Nuge is too weak, soft, perimeter type player. Pretty much useless in the playoffs
- Bouchard's IQ is questionable. He turns it over so much you know it's bound to hurt you.
-Skinner needs more intensity

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
A few points i'd like to make...
  • After two games i'm most disappointed in Foegele. I would cut his minutes to 11 or 12 and give those 2 or 3 extra minutes to Holloway.
  • Playoff Kulak is back and he needs to play more than the 15 minutes he got last night.
  • It's clear to me that the Kings struggle with any player on the Oilers that has anything above average speed so we need to elevate our faster players and not worry so much about "grinding down" the Kings physically.
  • I'd consider bringing in Brown or Ryan. Might not have a choice if Carrick is injured.
  • Colorado is having alot of success against the Jets on the road with a high tempo pace and keeping the Jets on their heels and i think that's probably the correct approach for the next 2 games in Los Angeles.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Some posters would rather be right about their stance on a player so they can tell everybody they're right when the player fails than cheer for that player they don't like to do well. Actually hoping for a player to be a failure, literally said in that I quoted, is just about as low as it gets as a sports fan. That goes beyond just being critical of a player, a player that does deserve criticism btw.

Agreed whole heartedly. I have no problem criticizing a players play.

Stuart Skinner was dog f***ing shit tonight. I'm worried... f*** yes. He did this last year is why. Good game.. shit game... good game.. shit game. Except we never win when he has a shit game and we can still lose when he has a good game.

That's calling a spade a spade. The stats and his record back it up. He's not showing the ability to consistently perform in the playoffs unfortunately. And hey this year is a small sample size.

But even if he comes out on Friday and plays great.. I don't trust him 1 f***ing bit come Sunday no matter how he plays Friday.

All that being said I would be Ecstatic if he ended up earning my trust in net. But tonight he lost that trust. And 1 or 2 good games won't make up for it. If I'm going to believe this team can win the cup, I need to see a goalie that doesn't shit the bed twice a series. And that's what Stuart has shown me.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And if Skinner plays like crap again and you keep playing him, aren't you doing the same thing?

Good points but my only concern is these are things they need to fix in a hurry because we are playing LA. Later in the playoffs we will be playing teams that will just steam roll us with mistakes like these.
So it could be a blessing playing like this NOW, IF they learn from it and stop doing it.
Then I guess we are just f***ed. People want to believe Pickard is Adin Hill when he’s more like Jason LaBarbera. Maybe let’s not give up multiple breakaways I. A game and go from there. The way the Oilers played in the third and overtime seemed like they weren’t trying to win.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

here's a good look at the redirect by Byfield. My brain couldnt comprehend what happened for a while :laugh:. Gotta give credit where it's due, and Kopitar for being in good position.

Again Ceci and Nurse both were doing the right thing IMO, it looked like a dump in and Nurse was just trying to be first man back. No one expected the deflection to bounce out like that

Even Stu, thats Kopitar coming down on a break away... he has a hell of a shot. If we want to shit on Skinner for anything it was that Fiala goal from the sidewall, that was just atrocious

I honestly think Byfield was tipping this puck to prevent an icing....just ridiculously bad luck it went right onto Kopitar's stick

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pickard is a career AHL goalie and the way the Oilers play isn’t going to change that.
He is a career AHL goalie and this year for the most part he has been better than Skinner in his starts. Neither is great but if we can get AVERAGE goaltending. Something both have been able to do for most of the year (Skinner isn't right now), thats better.
Like I would love another option in net but we don't have them, so if Skinner continues to suck you would be stupid not to at least give Pickard a start to see.
It would also be a slap to the face wakeup call to the team.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Fully screened by one guy on a shot from the boards near the blue line? Man thats literally a shot where you just have to go into the butterfly and it will hit you. If he can't see past that screen then he is in severe trouble. He's going to get about 50 screens a game tougher than that one.
Except he went into the butterfly and it didn’t hit him. It’s one where he needed to make a save. I’ve said many times tonight that it was a bad goal.
No, we collectively know Skinner can't deliver, some realizing it sooner than later.

You are kinda the infatuated one on this one. No one wish for the team to lose... f*** sake.

Every conceivable excuse been used multiple time.

As for calling people name, can you please stop being the Sean Avery.
The poster I replied to said he would rather the team lose just so we can get rid of a single player. That’s f***ing pathetic. Guessing his GF probably has a crush on Skinner. A logical person would just hope the guy plays better and the team wins…

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I like skinner, but his playoff numbers are def not a bright spot

goals against average of 3.71 and a save percentage of . 884 in 13 playoff games for his career.

Vs everyone's numba 1 hated goalie who has a goals against average of 2.28 and a save percentage of .920 in the playoffs in his career in 18 games.

Also didn't Campbell basically have to save the kings series for us last season?

Not saying Campbell is the answer, but not a good look for Skinner with those playoff numbers so far.

It's amazing how two games in we're having this conversation. And after last nights performance by Skinner it's a conversation that needs to be had. The Oilers need to figure out if they can risk going with a guy that is good a game, bad a game. Or if they want to roll the dice on someone getting hot like Hill did last year. Whether that's Pickard, Campbell... whoever I don't care.

I hope this was a 1 off for Skinner. But all I have to go off of is last year. And last year.. he was good, then bad, then good, then bad. If the Oilers win this series in spite of Skinner having a bad game in the series.. Ok. If Skinner shits out another one like tonight against L.A .. I want top see something different. You get 1 stinker a series and Skinner blew it last night. That's how I feel if we're going to win the cup. Otherwise it's just a matter of time before the Skinner freebie games are too hard to overcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad