Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ok I just watched back the Fiala goal from multiple angles and I'm actually laughing that people (and Skinner himself) are claiming Byfield screened him on this shot. Byfield isn't even in the shooting lane wow this one is worse than I originally thought.
What screen.png

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Ok I just watched back the Fiala goal from multiple angles and I'm actually laughing that people (and Skinner himself) are claiming Byfield screened him on this shot. Byfield isn't even in the shooting lane wow this one is worse than I originally thought.View attachment 859335

That would make Mike Smith blush.

(All due respect to him, Skinner couldn’t hold prime Smith’s jock)

• Haha
Reactions: TB12 and McFlyingV

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ok I just watched back the Fiala goal from multiple angles and I'm actually laughing that people (and Skinner himself) are claiming Byfield screened him on this shot. Byfield isn't even in the shooting lane wow this one is worse than I originally thought.View attachment 859335
2 oilers players were in the shooting lane though.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How many high danger scoring chances were gleamed form that sequnce alone?

Whats your explanation for the strong Corsi numbers in this game? Do you think thats an accurate representation of which team deserved to win?
They played right into the Kings hands in this game.
Henriques shot and nothing else.

What strong corsi numbers? The Oilers had a CF% of 48.11% at 5v5 and 51.16% at all strengths.

2 oilers players were in the shooting lane though.
Oh boy.

That would make Mike Smith blush.

(All due respect to him, Skinner couldn’t hold prime Smith’s jock)
Mike Smith was the king of finding excuses rather than ever taking any accountability. Skinner appears to have learned well. "It was a great screen by Byfield" he says. Oh man.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

What strong corsi numbers? The Oilers had a CF% of 48.11% at 5v5 and 51.16% at all strengths.

Oh boy.
Just stating a fact.
Not saying that Skinner shouldnt be able to fight through that but there were in fact 2 Oilers players in the shooting lane. Skinner should have had the Fiala goal as well.
Sometimes I think that Skinner isnt dialed in or aware enough in the game. Reminds me of Bouchard from a couple of years ago.

Regarding the forwards...how did Draisaitls line do against Kopitars line? Do you not think that was a major factor in the game?
What are the Corsi numbers/expected goals for McLeods line? A line that isnt going to finish nearly as effectively as Drias line would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
All the usual scapegoats... but it was the usual suspects who didn't play the right way imo

Nuge was invisible because he was covering for Drai all night. Henrique was doing the same for Jesus. Ceci getting slammed because Nurse is up ice doing Nurse things.

Goaltending lost that game but it shouldn't have gotten to that point.
lolol

What about the Canucks though? Asking for a friend.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Oh boy.

Mike Smith was the king of finding excuses rather than ever taking any accountability. Skinner appears to have learned well. "It was a great screen by Byfield" he says. Oh man.

Thats’s true, Smith never took any responsibility and it was frustrating to see. But he had a better top end, more athletic and far superior puck handling. So some of his ego was earned. He made two conference finals, Skinner might never make it out of a series without his backup bailing him out

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not my fault Skinner. "Somehow that long shot got in. I'll learn from it" Debrusk really absolving Skinner "what a shot, what a shot" Any NHL goalie should have that save. Debrusk loves Skinner, thats nice, but he would absolve any goal he lets in. "Those are always the hardest ones" lol

Skinner is 6ft 6. Only around 5% of players could actually screen him if he's up a bit. Look how low in the crouch he is there. Yamamoto could be screening him from that positioning.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just stating a fact.
Not saying that Skinner shouldnt be able to fight through tit but there were in fact 2 Oilers players in the shooting lane. Skinner should have had the Fiala goal as well.
Sometimes I think that Skinner isnt dialed in enough in the game.

Regarding the forwards...how did Draisaitls line do against Kopitars line? Do you not think that was a major factor in the game?
There was a lot of daylight between those two Oilers at the time the shot was taken. Skinner is 100% snoozing on that play not expecting the shot and you can see it by how slow he gets into the butterfly. The puck is already coming out of the net when he actually gets into his butterfly. Thats a goalie saving face that he "didn't see it" when he really was just snoozing and not expecting the shot. Reading your response perhaps we agree on that point, he's not dialled in.

It had some impact on the game. The first goal was largely on Foegele and Bouchard and a bit on Skinner on not giving the team a quality save. The second was a bad bounce and a very nice finish by Kempe no fault of anyones really, and the 3rd that they allowed was a defensive mix up, which again Skinner should have stopped due to Nuge's back check, but we can largely blame the D on that one. No, they didn't have a great game as a line, and Foegele especially was bad, but the game as a whole was significantly tilted in Edmonton's favour.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There was a lot of daylight between those two Oilers at the time the shot was taken. Skinner is 100% snoozing on that play not expecting the shot and you can see it by how slow he gets into the butterfly. The puck is already coming out of the net when he actually gets into his butterfly. Thats a goalie saving face that he "didn't see it" when he really was just snoozing and not expecting the shot. Reading your response perhaps we agree on that point, he's not dialled in.

It had some impact on the game. The first goal was largely on Foegele and Bouchard and a bit on Skinner on not giving the team a quality save. The second was a bad bounce and a very nice finish by Kempe no fault of anyones really, and the 3rd that they allowed was a defensive mix up, which again Skinner should have stopped due to Nuge's back check, but we can largely blame the D on that one. No, they didn't have a great game as a line, and Foegele especially was bad, but the game as a whole was significantly tilted in Edmonton's favour.
Completely agree with the bolded. Skinner has to learn to maintain a max level of intensity/focus in these games when the puck is in the D zone.

I do think that the first goal is primarily on Bouchard though. He just cant make a soft dump inside his own blueline. That IMO is a result of the same problem Skinner had on the 4th LA goal. Bouchard needs to be more engaged in whats going on. He just cant ,make that play...ever.
Even if Foelgle was there its a problem.

On the Doughty breakaway...my first question is...how does that happen? A dman on a breakaway? Then RNH makes sure Skinner isnt making that save.
Big mistakes at critical moments.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He 100% was now that I've had a chance to watch it back. Just hilarious him claiming he was screened when he was actually just not focused at all.
He could have been screened too. It doesnt have to be an either/or...both things are possible.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Completely agree with the bolded. Skinner has to learn to maintain a max level of intensity/focus in these games when the puck is in the D zone.
I understand the Oilers dominate possession time most nights and its hard when he goes extended periods without seeing much offensive zone time for the Kings, but this is the f***ing playoffs. Wake the f*** up or get the hell out of the net and let Pickard play. This Oilers team doesn't even need average goaltending to get through LA, but Skinner didn't even give them below average goaltending tonight.

I hope he bounces back. I really thought he'd shake off the poor rookie playoff performance from last year, but so far in the small sample size he looks like the exact same inconsistent goalie from last year, and if thats what he's going to provide then they need to try Pickard in net.

I'd personally give Skinner next game. If he flops he's done until Pickard flops, and if Pickard flops I'd call up Campbell. You can't get the same performance you got out of Skinner from last year. If thats what you get and you ride him to a 1st or 2nd round exit then say goodbye to Draisaitl and McDavid.

He could have been screened too. It doesnt have to be an either/or...both things are possible.
Yeah but he claimed in his post game that Byfield screened him. He's just saving face, which is fine if he accepts that he shit the bed tonight and bounces back. But if he's not able to recognize his fault there then good luck and it will probably be Pickard's crease by Sunday.

Reactions: guymez

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I failed to find a video where that goal going through Skinner makes any sense to me. I think he just never considered a shot would be taken and by the time he registered it was coming he just dropped and prayed. And it somehow just goes right through him.

Reactions: iCanada and TB12

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I do think that the first goal is primarily on Bouchard though. He just cant make a soft dump inside his own blueline. That IMO is a result of the same problem Skinner had on the 4th LA goal. Bouchard needs to be more engaged in whats going on. He just cant ,make that play...ever.
Even if Foelgle was there its a problem.

On the Doughty breakaway...my first question is...how does that happen? A dman on a breakaway? Then RNH makes sure Skinner isnt making that save.
Big mistakes at critical moments.
Bouchard got it to the blueline where his winger was supposed to be to finish getting the puck out of the zone. Instead of fighting for it or hitting the oncoming Kopitar he just went ole' and let him gain the zone with speed.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Still a lot of Oilers bodies between that puck and him. Maybe he didn’t want to call out a teammate for a screen so he blamed Byfield. Either way, that goal from that spot can’t go in.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Perry was garbage all game, if that was Holloway, Knoblauch would have benched him for the entire game.

Also, Kings played Doughty almost 30 minutes, really tells you that they don't care about a potential next round. This is their stanley cup and why I did not want to play them.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Bouchard got it to the blueline where his winger was supposed to be to finish getting the puck out of the zone. Instead of fighting for it or hitting the oncoming Kopitar he just went ole' and let him gain the zone with speed.
Yeah seemed like a totally busted play and the forwards have to take some blame. The forward Bouch thought was available for a pass turns his back and doesn't even look for the puck. Our forwards just all skate full speed out of our end with no puck, even through LAs top guys are attacking. Oilers forwards completely out of the picture off in the neutral zone as LA's entire top line is in our zone with the puck. Just a brain dead sequence. Maybe they have complete faith in Bouch to just magically put pucks on their sticks without them having to even look back lol.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I thought the same thing. There was definitely a different standard from the officials tonight compared to game1.
Kings were getting away with lots. Late hits, stick holds, interferences. Plus they bought the dive by PLD when Perry gave him a small tug.

Game 1 was better officiated between the whistles. But it was open season to do whatever they wanted against us in the scrums. Like is the NHL really going to say it’s okay to punch a guy like Nuge 3 times in the head to pop his helmet off?

Reactions: TB12

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I failed to find a video where that goal going through Skinner makes any sense to me. I think he just never considered a shot would be taken and by the time he registered it was coming he just dropped and prayed. And it somehow just goes right through him.
He was extremely slow into his butterfly. The puck has already hit the back of the net and is already coming out of his net before his pads are fully into the butterfly.

Yeah that was a really bad fly by from Foegele. Bouch used the boards to evade the oncoming forechecker which if he was supported properly was the correct play. I thought Foegele was one of the worst players on the ice tonight. Bad mistakes and otherwise invisible. He needs to be a lot better.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bouchard has to know that he cant soft dump the puck inside his blueline with forecheckers mere steps away. Even if Foegle was standing there (which he shouldnt have been anyway...he has to be outside the zone at that point in time) Bouchard has to get the puck out of the zone.
Its mostly on him. That was a sleepy play on his part. He had time and he has to be more aware. of whats going on.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad