Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Skinner, as predicted, says he played okay and he didn’t impact the game. He isn’t going to get better until he starts being more competitive and admitting he sucked and getting better. MJ fans from the Last Dance see this. Clearly nothing motivates Skinner because he thinks he is good every game
Just done with this guy. Well honestly I was last playoffs.

The Oilers are the best team in the league. But with Stu shooter Tutor Skinner in net.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Skinner, as predicted, says he played okay and he didn’t impact the game. He isn’t going to get better until he starts being more competitive and admitting he sucked and getting better. MJ fans from the Last Dance see this. Clearly nothing motivates Skinner because he thinks he is good every game

Didn't like his post game either. There is letting things roll off your shoulders and not giving into negativity and focusing on being better, and there is also avoiding responsibility and a more unhealthy attempt to convince yourself you did nothing wrong. That interview felt like the latter.

We so badly need him to be confident and play well, sigh.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
The Kings haven't played Pickard a lot.

I'm sure you don't what you're talking about.

The Kings have faced Skinner a lot, in playoffs a lot, and clearly have the book on him. Almost anybody is seeing that.

To recap:

- You said Pickard would be an improvement over Skinner.
- I said that Pickard wouldn’t based on his track record and competition he’s faced.
- You insult me.
- I reply with a sarcastic white flag.
- You say I never have a “real reply”.
- I reply for real stating what I think Pickard’s weaknesses are and that the Kings have likely watched video on him to find out what they are.
- You insult me again.

Alright I’m done. I have better things to do at 2 am on a weeknight than get insulted by some guy with too much time on his hands and in full grips of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I only caught the 3rd. Just watched the highlites, somewhere along the way we needed a big stop or 2 from Stu. I would consider starting Pickard next game. On either the 1st or 2nd GA Foegele needed to truck Kopitar on the wall and who in the hell was Nurse defending in OT? Did he think that he was playing soccer and that Kopitar was offside? Brutal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t agree they outworked and outplayed the kings, in the second yes. But not at all in the third and half of the first was gone before they had 3 shots. They were just too inconsistent tonight as a team. The Kempe second goal was a great play by him at the end, but the problem was how it developed. They had just scored and had the place rocking and then they just get loose and let that happen. The first goal is a bad giveaway by Bouchard but both Foegle and draisaitl jump past the man there too. Either one of them stops up and there is no scoring chance.

They didn’t play A great game as a team and will need to be better, or we get a longer summer and I don’t spend as much money on tickets.
Oilers had twice as many High Danger scoring chances. 17-8 to be precise. I figured the Kings only had 7 chances, I was one off. The Oilers were the better team in every stat line. had the edge in play. Add to that the Oilers scoring chances are coming from some of the highest scoring players in the league, or in the world. Talbot as others have said made 5 stops in this game Skinner would be waving at.

heres a thing. kings didn't generate even ONE scoring chance on their 4PP's while giving up two. You think the Oilers weren't better? The Oilers were better in 5 on 5, on the PP, and on the pk. That doesn't leave anything.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well...it wouldnt be the first time that analytics fell short.

I saw a lot of shot attempts in some high dnager areas but there were sticks and/or bodies in the lane most of the time.

How does that show up in the numbers?
I don't think analytics fell short and I think you know that if you watched the game back or are truthful with yourself. Can you really tell me that you can recall more quality good looks by the Kings than you saw from the Oilers? I think you'd be lying if you said you did. Talbot had multiple high quality saves in this game, and the same can't be said for Skinner, that is really where the discussion ends.

Did the Oilers play a flawless game? No not at all their game 1 was much better. Did the Oilers largely outplay and out chance the Kings? 100% this isn't up for debate. Did they give up a few scoring chances you'd like them not to? Sure, but you're pretty much going to see this in at least a few games from every single team in the playoffs. Maybe I expect too much out of Skinner watching all the other series in the playoffs, but so far the majority of goaltenders have looked better than him in this short sample size this year, and he was arguably the worst goalie in the playoffs last year. I was hoping that was rookie inexperience, and I felt confident he'd bounce back this year, but so far he hasn't done much to make me feel confident in that belief.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To recap:

- I said that Pickard wouldn’t based on his track record and competition he’s faced.
- You insult me.
- I reply for real stating what I think Pickard’s weaknesses are and that the Kings have likely watched video on him to find out what they are.
- You insult me again.

Alright I’m done. I have better things to do at 2 am on a weeknight than get insulted by some guy with too much time on his hands and in full grips of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
There is a solution and to be honest it makes things much more enjoyable. :nod:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't think analytics fell short and I think you know that if you watched the game back or are truthful with yourself. Can you really tell me that you can recall more quality good looks by the Kings than you saw from the Oilers? I think you'd be lying if you said you did. Talbot had multiple high quality saves in this game, and the same can't be said for Skinner, that is really where the discussion ends.

Did the Oilers play a flawless game? No not at all their game 1 was much better. Did the Oilers largely outplay and out chance the Kings? 100% this isn't up for debate. Did they give up a few scoring chances you'd like them not to? Sure, but you're pretty much going to see this in at least a few games from every single team in the playoffs. Maybe I expect too much out of Skinner watching all the other series in the playoffs, but so far the majority of goaltenders have looked better than him in this short sample size this year, and he was arguably the worst goalie in the playoffs last year. I was hoping that was rookie inexperience, and I felt confident he'd bounce back this year, but so far he hasn't done much to make me feel confident in that belief.
You missed my edit.
That explains some of why the analytics are saying the Oilers deserved to win.

The Oilers big guns were a non factor and the Oilers didnt play this game with the same level of intensity as the Kings did. Skinner had some stuggles too but he shouldn't wear this loss by himself.
The Kings were better prepared in this game than the Oilers were and that showed up in the first 3 minutes of the game. Bouchard started it off on the first Kings goal.
What happens to allow Drew Doughty of all people to have a breakaway.
Thats a major breakdown and RNH poor play makes sure it goes in the net.
The Kings had a much higher commitment to the small details in this game IMO.
They had sticks and/or bodies in the lanes all game long. So for example while the Oilers Corsi /possession numbers look good it doesnt mean much of anything.
They deserved to win.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Kings had 8 HDSC in the whole game. Kings got 5 goals and a post out of that. Skinner made about 3 HDSC stops, let in 4 and let in a goal that wasn't even a scoring chance.

Oilers led HDSC by 17-8. We even got 2 HDSC to Kings Zero scoring chances on the KIngs PP's lol.

The Oilers win this game 9/10 with even equivalent goaltending.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Well...it wouldnt be the first time that analytics fell short.

I saw a lot of shot attempts in some high dnager areas but there were sticks and/or bodies in the lane most of the time.

How does that show up in the numbers?

I mean just take the opportunity when the Kings had 3 players laying in the crease and the Oilers had a few futile attempts at scoring. Connor mistakenly thought that there was a hand on the puck on that play. Those are all considered high danger scoring chances even though in reality they have little chance of actually going in.
How would outside shots drive up the analytics though?

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
To recap:

- You insult me.
- You insult me again.

you don't even have to use the ignore button - I just scroll by replacement's posts - it's easy

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You missed my edit.
That explains some of why the analytics are saying the Oilers deserved to win.

The Oilers big guns were a non factor and the Oilers didnt play this game with the same level of intensity as the Kings did. Skinner had some stuggles too but he shouldn't wear this loss by himself.
The Kings were better prepared in this game than the Oilers were and that showed up in the first 3 minutes of the game. Bouchard started it off on the first Kings goal.
What happens to allow Drew Doughty of all people to have a breakaway.
Thats a major breakdown and RNH poor play makes sure it goes in the net.
The Kings had a much higher commitment to the small details in this game IMO.
They deserved to win.
Your edit isn't correct though. That scramble contributed nothing to expected goals outside of the original shot from Henrique on moneypuck.

Look the Oilers didn't have their best performance, but they outplayed and outchanced the Kings by a very healthy margin. A margin that only goaltending or puck luck can typically overcome. Tonight was a bit of both, which is to say Skinner needs to be a hell of a lot better.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Your edit isn't correct though. That scramble contributed nothing to expected goals outside of the original shot from Henrique on moneypuck.

Look the Oilers didn't have their best performance, but they outplayed and outchanced the Kings by a very healthy margin. A margin that only goaltending or puck luck can typically overcome. Tonight was a bit of both, which is to say Skinner needs to be a hell of a lot better.
How many high danger scoring chances were gleamed form that sequnce alone?

Whats your explanation for the strong Corsi numbers in this game? Do you think thats an accurate representation of which team deserved to win?
They played right into the Kings hands in this game.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
All the usual scapegoats... but it was the usual suspects who didn't play the right way imo

Nuge was invisible because he was covering for Drai all night. Henrique was doing the same for Jesus. Ceci getting slammed because Nurse is up ice doing Nurse things.

Goaltending lost that game but it shouldn't have gotten to that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad