Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
Thanks for demonstrating you never have an actual reply. You stated there would be no difference starting Pickard. Pickard has a decent glove hand. Skinner Glove hand is so slow he's still moving it up in the dressing room.

This is a joke.

What isn't a joke is that Kings were exploting Skinner glove hand all night. How do you NOT see that. Its on the Kings dressing room wall. You think Kempe doesn't know? He owns Skinner always.
Pickard's lateral movement is pretty weak. I'm not sure he's an upgrade on skinner. The counter argument is for the playoffs is all you need one guy to get hot. Maybe Pickard can do it? I'd probably give Skinner another game.

Goaltending is questionable for a lot of teams right now.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Knoblauch ain't pulling Skinner unless he gives up 4 in a period and then sometimes maybe not.

What does the team that heavily outworked the Kings, outplayed the kings, that got vast majority of scoring chances thing about the constant absolving of 5 goal Skinner? ANY other contender would have found other goaltendign, a starter, by now. Or at least use what else you have.

Kempe LOVES Skinner in net.
I don’t agree they outworked and outplayed the kings, in the second yes. But not at all in the third and half of the first was gone before they had 3 shots. They were just too inconsistent tonight as a team. The Kempe second goal was a great play by him at the end, but the problem was how it developed. They had just scored and had the place rocking and then they just get loose and let that happen. The first goal is a bad giveaway by Bouchard but both Foegle and draisaitl jump past the man there too. Either one of them stops up and there is no scoring chance.

They didn’t play A great game as a team and will need to be better, or we get a longer summer and I don’t spend as much money on tickets.

Reactions: AT14C

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I can't even be mad at that goal. Just the icing on the cake of a night of every bounce going against us. Absolute miracle deflection of a mindless toss up the ice by Mikey 3 ft off the ground.

The Cansucks went and gave all their unused PDO to the Kings

Reactions: TB12 and oobga

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe I don’t think you’re deserving of a reply when all I get from you is arrogance and patronization. I mean your literal first response was a veiled insult.

I mean even if I entertain your fantasy, I’m sure the Kings know Pickard’s weaknesses too. I’m sure they would shoot to them as well. They may not be his glove hand, but he’s definitely weaker on his blocker and along the ice.

But I know better than trying to convince you otherwise.
The Kings haven't played Pickard a lot.

I'm sure you don't what you're talking about.

The Kings have faced Skinner a lot, in playoffs a lot, and clearly have the book on him. Almost anybody is seeing that.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He did have bounce back games last year in playoffs.

Went .886 to .917, .893 to .904, .848 to .968, and .826 to .962.

What he and our Team D needs to do this year is not have so many bounce back situations. Won’t get there with shit turnovers and blown coverages there and won’t get there with goals from bad angles either.
Sorry, I should have clarified that, that his confidence was shot by the latter part of the Vegas series, and I guess we'll see if mentally that plays a factor going forward. Sure hope he's able to shake it off and string together some good games.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I've said this many times but look at Skinner on pt shots. Most times if he's screened he doesn't even try hard to look around the screen. he just kind of hopes its not going in. Its incredible how dangerous any screen is on him and the Oilers are excellent at boxking out and moving guys out of there. But Byfield and PLD are hard to move.

btw Kings should park Laferriere and Lizotte. Both just awful. you can't be both small and making bad decisions. Laferriere -3, dragging down any line he's on. Lizotte with the dumb as rocks penalty on Draisaitl leading to a goal. Might be time for Kings to pull Kaliyev out of the trasn heap and see if he's got anything.

Laferriere might be a player but he's not ready for this intensity.

I know pot is legal in canada but seriously?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I've said this many times but look at Skinner on pt shots. Most times if he's screened he doesn't even try hard to look around the screen. he just kind of hopes its not going in. Its incredible how dangerous any screen is on him and the Oilers are excellent at boxking out and moving guys out of there. But Byfield and PLD are hard to move.

btw Kings should park Laferriere and Lizotte. Both just awful. you can't be both small and making bad decisions. Laferriere -3, dragging down any line he's on. Lizotte with the dumb as rocks penalty on Draisaitl leading to a goal. Might be time for Kings to pull Kaliyev out of the trasn heap and see if he's got anything.

I think Skinner has very clear body language when his confidence has cratered. His 2nd efforts on everything just vanish. And he does just go into that hope mode that things will hit him with minimal effort on his part. Knob really has to keep an eye out and get Pickard in if Skinner is starting to noticable just stick in 1 spot on plays and stops moving. Vegas had a number of goals on him last playoffs where he just quit and let guys just put pucks around him in close to the net.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

here's a good look at the redirect by Byfield. My brain couldnt comprehend what happened for a while :laugh:. Gotta give credit where it's due, and Kopitar for being in good position.

Again Ceci and Nurse both were doing the right thing IMO, it looked like a dump in and Nurse was just trying to be first man back. No one expected the deflection to bounce out like that

Even Stu, thats Kopitar coming down on a break away... he has a hell of a shot. If we want to shit on Skinner for anything it was that Fiala goal from the sidewall, that was just atrocious

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I can't even be mad at that goal. Just the icing on the cake of a night of every bounce going against us. Absolute miracle deflection of a mindless toss up the ice by Mikey 3 ft off the ground.
He still got beat by Kopitar and was on his belly when the game ended.

He’s never going to figure it out.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Definitely a lot of truth to your first point. You watch guys like Vasi or Quick in his prime and they're dipping, crouching, leaning, on their tip toes looking over, under, around guys to pick up shot releases to have an idea where pucks are going even when they can't see it the whole way through and I have never seen that with Skinner. Screened point shots are yet another weakness of his alongside his glove hand and lateral movement.

At the end of the day I think Skinner is 100% a systems goalie. He can thrive in a system that covers his weaknesses, but he needs to be able to at least make the saves he should and he didn't do that tonight.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That doesn't exactly reassure me of anything though. He needs to be able to find pucks through screens and that was a pretty pedestrian screen. Wait until there's 4 or 5 bodies in a lane and not just one from one of the lowest percentage scoring spots in the offensive zone.
Its a part of his game that he needs to improve at for sure. I suspect he will.
Most Vet goalies have figured out ways to fight through that. Skinner is a sophmore goalie.

That said the team as a whole didnt play well in this game. They had a lot of inconsequential puck possession and outside shots (which drives up some analytics numbers) and they also repeatedly gave up the puck just inside the Kings blueline on the rush.
The bottom 6 kept the game close.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sorry, I should have clarified that, that his confidence was shot by the latter part of the Vegas series, and I guess we'll see if mentally that plays a factor going forward. Sure hope he's able to shake it off and string together some good games.
I think the Oilers will respond and give him a predictable game to get one of those good number games in. But can we do that 2 in a row, 3 in a row? Tough to say considering the breakdowns we are seeing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why is no one communicating that there is a guy there.
4 Oilers standing around watching the play, 3 of them out of position. Lets Blame Nurse, the only one that was back and that was in position. That was a monster thinking play by Byfield that worked. There's no way Nurse could know where that was going or that it would end up right to Kopitar. That whole play took a second. 3 Oilers are just assuming it was icing. I don't blame Nurse there, you don't either, and probably nobody should.

Its not Kopitar got a breakaway. Kopes got a fortunate bounce, hopped on the puck, moved sideways and picked his spot on Stu shooter tutor. Chris Pronger probably wouldn't have been able to prevent in that situation.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Its a part of his game that he needs to improve at for sure. I suspect he will.
Most Vet goalies have figured out ways to fight through that.

That said the team as a whole didnt play well in this game. They had a lot of inconsequential puck possession and outside shots (which drives up some analytics numbers) and they also repeatedly gave up the puck just inside the Kings blueline on the rush.
The bottom 6 kept the game close.
I'm not sure what analytics you think outside shots drove up, but their shot location analytics don't support anything that you said.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Skinner, as predicted, says he played okay and he didn’t impact the game. He isn’t going to get better until he starts being more competitive and admitting he sucked and getting better. MJ fans from the Last Dance see this. Clearly nothing motivates Skinner because he thinks he is good every game
He's like Russell Wilson. Wish McDavid was like Michael Jordan. He put the fear of God in his teammates to perform.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’m wondering why this is still a pairing we use.
It’s been shown time and time again to hurt us. Even game 1, I realize Ceci and Nurse were the victims of bad luck, but I wonder if another defencemans stick breaks if he doesn’t throw that into the corner. Or if that puck is headed towards the boot if another defenceman just lifts the boot instead of letting it deflect off it. It’ll be tough sledding if these guys don’t find a way to play a 100% solid in terms of mistakes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not sure what analytics you think outside shots drove up, but their shot location analytics don't support anything that you said.
Well...it wouldnt be the first time that analytics fell short.

I saw a lot of shot attempts in some high dnager areas but there were sticks and/or bodies in the lane most of the time.

How does that show up in the numbers?

I mean just take the opportunity when the Kings had 3 players laying in the crease and the Oilers had a few futile attempts at scoring. Connor mistakenly thought that there was a hand on the puck on that play. Those are all considered high danger scoring chances even though in reality they have little chance of actually going in.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pickard's lateral movement is pretty weak. I'm not sure he's an upgrade on skinner. The counter argument is for the playoffs is all you need one guy to get hot. Maybe Pickard can do it? I'd probably give Skinner another game.

Goaltending is questionable for a lot of teams right now.
Pickard is quicker and faster than Skinner and makes reflex saves. Pickard has an NHL quality glove hand. Skinner does not and has poor mobility. Kings go high on Skinner a lot. Not for the first time. its been a constant.

Moregoalspls

Nov 24, 2017

here's a good look at the redirect by Byfield. My brain couldnt comprehend what happened for a while :laugh:. Gotta give credit where it's due, and Kopitar for being in good position.

Again Ceci and Nurse both were doing the right thing IMO, it looked like a dump in and Nurse was just trying to be first man back. No one expected the deflection to bounce out like that

Even Stu, thats Kopitar coming down on a break away... he has a hell of a shot. If we want to shit on Skinner for anything it was that Fiala goal from the sidewall, that was just atrocious

This is bigfoot exists

• Haha
Reactions: sepHF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad