Post-Game Talk: OT Heartbreaker

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Meh, Skinner gave 1 stinker. But what was more disappointing to me was he let in pretty much every good scoring chance they had. I dunno.. I was just wincing every shot L.A took after that fourth one. Edmonton carried the play and the chances i felt. I think skinner flat out lost this one.
Yeah I agree
He looked super shaky too. Falling over on that one chance, the Doughty goal. Just looked uncomfortable in there

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's because the people on this board think the good teams play nothing but good 100% of the time and it isn't superior goaltending bailing em out or making big saves here and there.
Couldn't agree anymore. Did you watch the TB FLA game yesterday? Both goalies just stood on their head over and over again bailing out defensive mistakes. Every defensive mistake ends up in our net. Its f***ing sad.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
There was a point in the 3rd when it was 4-4 and I thought that the Kings looked more composed. More methodical with thier game.
Oilers looked a little scattered to me. They didnt look like a SC contender at all.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I think the bolded is the rub of it

We should be happy that they made the playoffs and enjoy the ride. The team as is still far too inconsistent to be a serious contender

Hopefully some weakspots excised by the new GM

Reactions: Ibanez and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
All skinner has to do is be average. And he’s already failing. Should have been pulled early because he wasn’t any better the rest of the game. He didn’t make one save to keep his team in it. Zero. Completely let his team down tonight. When he fails again next game in LA I hope knobblauch has the stones to start Pikard else this will be woodcroft all over again.
If he lets in two quick ones next game he better have a very short leash. Can’t afford to throw away games because of it

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Couldn't agree anymore. Did you watch the TB FLA game yesterday? Both goalies just stood on their head over and over again bailing out defensive mistakes. Every defensive mistake ends up in our net. Its f***ing sad.
It’s almost as if both of those teams are much better than we are.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The Oilers 2nd best defensive dman (after Ekholm) is once again eating popcorn in the pressbox instead of being a positive factor on the ice for the Oilers.

Get Stecher in there... at least give this team a chance at having as good of a defensive roster as possible because the D needs some improvement as well.

You score 11 goals... you should win those 2 games.

I think there's a very good chance Stecher can make a difference out there defensively.

Reactions: Ibanez and Oilhawks

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

People seriously underestimate how good of a defensive team the Oilers actually are because their HDSV% is so bad.

Edmonton's skaters are a top 5 defensive team and a top 2 offensive team in the NHL. Every game they lose looks like this one did tonight.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Honestly hated the way Game 1 ended with that Nurse boot and the Ceci toss to center ice. Skinners confidence took a hit right there and then after a solid game. He cares about his save percentage and didn’t get the results he deserved. And it transferred to Game 1. Combine that with shit D and some bad bounces and were looking at 3 goals against. Goal 4 shouldn’t happen, that one is on Skinner after having his confidence beaten down some more. And Kopi being wide open in OT is hard to blame anyone cause Byfield made the play, but it’d be nice with either a save there or Nurse disrupting Kopi more.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
All skinner has to do is be average. And he’s already failing. Should have been pulled early because he wasn’t any better the rest of the game. He didn’t make one save to keep his team in it. Zero. Completely let his team down tonight. When he fails again next game in LA I hope knobblauch has the stones to start Pikard else this will be woodcroft all over again.
Maybe it’s ol dusty picking goalies still. He’s Skinner to the end

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
This is the problem, he doesn't take any responsibility for his play and that's probably part of the reason he doesn't get any better. No accountability ffs. What a horrible post game interview by him.

I mean goaltender post game interviews should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Goaltending is as much about confidence as it is about being technically sound. If being confident to a fault is his thing then whatever. But I don’t really want my starting goalie licking his wounds and feeling sorry for himself after game 2. There’s plenty of time for that shit if you get eliminated.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mean I’m gonna tell you this right now, Pickard will not swoop in and save us.

The way this team is built, your only option is Skinner. That’s not even bias that’s just a fact. Pickard is a AHL-calibre goalie that’s had an excellent season. Skinner is a highly inconsistent NHL goalie that can switch from Vezina candidate to ECHL reject at the drop of the hat.

Pickard is every bit as inconsistent as Skinner but doesn’t have his upside. It’s really as simple as that.
OK thanks for weighing in Woody. Hows the Taco stand doing?

;)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
There was a point in the 3rd when it was 4-4 and I thought that the Kings looked more composed. More methodical with thier game.
Oilers looked a little scattered to me. They didnt look like a SC contender at all.
They are a veteran club and don't get rattled. Credit where credit is due.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There are 2 major issues tonight, regardless of us coming back, the 3-1 goal was atrocious, getting scored on after scoring a big goal has been in this teams DNA for over a decade. They can’t seem to kick that and it hurt them tonight.

The 4-3 goal is really the only goal I didn’t like from skinner, that’s a back breaker.

They just weren’t polished enough tonight.
I agree with this.
Skinner wasnt the whole problem in this game. The Kings deserved this win. Their big time players out preformed the Oilers big time players. That might have been one of the worst games from McDrai I have seen in some time. The Kings absolutely neutralized McDavid. He was basically a non factor. Constantly trying to beat 4 or 5 Kings players one on one. Played right into their hands.
RNH was invisable. Hymen was the best top line player in this game for the Oilers.
If not for Holloway the Kings win this game fairly easily.

The Oilers had a lot of zone time in the Kings end but ultimately didnt accomplish much.
The Kings kept them to the outside.

Last edited:

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
Can't believe just 1 year removed from Vegas, we trot this guy as a starting playoff goaltender while Boston still has 2 all-stars. What exactly did Holland do in the offseason ? There is nothing wrong with our forward core. Do not put Brown in over Holloway. I would like to see one of Nurse or Ceci get press boxed for Broberg. These guys are not it.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Moneypuck agrees. We win a game like this 7 times out of 10 times. Honestly, if McDrai show up and our goaltending can just be .900, none of our games against LA should be even close in my opinion.

IMG_3314.jpeg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People seriously underestimate how good of a defensive team the Oilers actually are because their HDSV% is so bad.

Edmonton's skaters are a top 5 defensive team and a top 2 offensive team in the NHL. Every game they lose looks like this one did tonight.
They had more breakaways than we did, just saying.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They are a veteran club and don't get rattled. Credit where credit is due.
100%
Their big guns were very good.
I was surprised to see the Oilers big guns look so ineffective. They pounded McDavid every chance they got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad