OT Goodell signs extension

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
A lot for a man who has overseen/is overseeing significant controversy, lack of judgement, and a decline in league interest.

Yea i find it a mistake. They are rewarded someone who under current watch is watching people lose interesting cause of the whole Kneeling controversy

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Decline in interest? The NFL has roughly doubled it's revenue in the decade Goodell has been in charge.

Not because of Goodell, and certainly not because more people watch/care about football.

The NFL is making money hand over fist not because they’re doing something right, but because it’s so damn easy. They’re profitable in spite on themselves. You literally have a sport who cares less about player safety than the WWE, allows franchises to move not because their current market is poor but because the owner is chasing buckets of ducats in a massive metropolis, ridiculous and out of touch reactions to social movements, witch hunts, and more.

The league easily has the worst leadership of any North American professional sport and the ship is steaming full speed ahead at an iceberg.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Jerry Jones won his fight with NFL commish Roger Goodell
Jerry Jones won his fight with NFL commish Roger Goodell

Goodell gets 10% of salary guaranteed. Rest is bonus determined by compensation committee, the chair selected by owners.

That’s exactly what Jones wanted. An infrastructure that puts more of the influence over the commissioner’s paycheck in the hands of the entire ownership group. That’s why Jones was grinning Wednesday. He won the battle. He went at Goodell and a majority of the other NFL owners with a singular message: To move more control of this league into the hands of the billionaire fraternity and put the commissioner into a space where he will feel pressured to answer to the franchises that make his job possible. It’s a campaign that is getting underway, from the sound of it, with changes coming to the NFL constitution and an open debate about some of the commissioner’s powers. That may very well mean some cuts in the league office, too, with senior-level positions being eliminated by the dozens.

Interesting time to be in charge/involved.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Decline in interest? The NFL has roughly doubled it's revenue in the decade Goodell has been in charge.

A lot of that has to do with the rise of fantasy leagues. Gambling is (and always has been) a huge factor for the NFL's TV ratings, but fantasy has driven it higher as well. Seems Goodell happened to come along at the right time.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
A lot of that has to do with the rise of fantasy leagues. Gambling is (and always has been) a huge factor for the NFL's TV ratings, but fantasy has driven it higher as well. Seems Goodell happened to come along at the right time.

I'm not arguing against that at all, just pointing out that the idea he's presided over some big decline in popularity is actually the opposite of true. Whether he was the cause of the rise in popularity is certainly up for debate (and I'd say he had a small role, but not the largest one) is an entirely different question.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'm not arguing against that at all, just pointing out that the idea he's presided over some big decline in popularity is actually the opposite of true. Whether he was the cause of the rise in popularity is certainly up for debate (and I'd say he had a small role, but not the largest one) is an entirely different question.

Oh I agree with you and I did point out that he came along at the right time which he certainly has benefited from. I just don't think Goodell is anywhere near half as good as Pete Rozelle or even Paul Tagliabue. I don't remember those guys taking as much (well deserved) heat as Goodell has. That said, it would really be a stretch to give Roger Goodell a lot of credit for the NFL's increase in ratings. (which I'm not saying you were implying) But he's certainly not helping things with his ham handed handling of league issues and the league is definitely in decline. Just about everyone I talk to about football says the game is becoming unwatchable.

I hope the NHL is paying attention...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
But the current NFL ratings being down and people losing interested cause of the current kneeling issue is under Goodell. Instead of addressing the issue problems being caused by the kneeling they do nothing and just make the players be in their locker rooms during the anthem.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
I can't explain the ineptitude behind this move. I guess the owners love him? The NFL has been a major PR blunder for the last several years, and many of its players didn't exactly have stellar reputations with the law long before that. I found the whole 'deflategate' controversy to be embarrassing as well. The treatment of one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time was shameful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad