OT: Free online college sabermetrics course

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Boston University is offering a free online course in Sabremetrics, starting May 8th:

https://www.edx.org/course/bux/bux-sabr101x-sabermetrics-101-1558

I'm sure that this is focused on baseball exclusively as the sport of interest, but will also cover R and SQL, and my guess is that it will also help with thinking through data issues in a sports setting as well as techniques for sporets analytics (all of which will help enthusiasts here).

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I will have to consider taking this. How difficult you think this will be math-wise, Doc? Any clue? I had taken two base-level prob&stats classes and survived to pre-calc in college...though, they were a few years ago now certainly...I'm not worried about having prior knowledge of that kind of math, but more, my ability to learn the mathematical concepts...

Wish it wasn't during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, but I will have to consider taking this to better understand just what hell is going on on this board...

Thanks for posting!

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I will have to consider taking this. How difficult you think this will be math-wise, Doc? Any clue? I had taken two base-level prob&stats classes and survived to pre-calc in college...though, they were a few years ago now certainly...I'm not worried about having prior knowledge of that kind of math, but more, my ability to learn the mathematical concepts...

Wish it wasn't during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, but I will have to consider taking this to better understand just what hell is going on on this board...

Thanks for posting!

You should have plenty already. Typical Sabremetrics books will go as far as Markov Chains. So if you know your basic linear algbera and probability stuff, there shouldn't be any issue. Seems like a part of the course will be on SQL and R. If you've already done some C, C++, Python or other programming languages, it will be very easy to learn. SQL is made for non-programmers and mimics natural english language as much as possible. Some of it may be a bit harder at first when talking about normalization and whatnot but it shouldn't be an issue.

Most of the stats computation will be done in R I guess. The prof will likely go over the formal maths during the course but will invite students to use various packages coming with R to compute linear regressions and that sort of thing.

I prefer Coursera over EdX but hey, can't complain about having some sports stats courses for free on the internet. Btw, courses are typically archived, so even if you skip a week's lesson, you can still do it later.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I bet that the maximum math courses would be intro to stats coupled with intro linear algebra.

I may follow along just to see how they handle the case studies and the treatment in R.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
It's odd - the link worked earlier.

Now, the link doesn't work. But if you enter it in directly (not using the link), then it works.

[x]https://www.edx.org/course/bux/bux-sabr101x-Sabremetrics-101-1558[/x]

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I just Googled the thread title and it came up as the second result (behind only this thread).

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Okay, this is asinine. :rant:

It's weird - when I paste the link in raw into a fresh browser, it works great. Otherwise, it doesn't resolve. Same exact freaking URL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad