Orr v. Lemieux

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch*

This has got to be the ultimate choice of great ones, players who played gloriously, hurt or not and took the rough stuff like men. Their craftmanship was flawless in every regard. On top of which, since Hockey is supposed to be entertainment, they were both hugely entertaining.

Both have 2 Cups and played on some horrid teams. One played longer and in the media age.

I've always hated this question since they were the 2 best.

Which one would you want if you had to pick one?

Chief_10

May 8, 2004
chooch said:
This has got to be the ultimate choice of great ones, players who played gloriously, hurt or not and took the rough stuff like men. Their craftmanship was flawless in every regard. On top of which, since Hockey is supposed to be entertainment, they were both hugely entertaining.

Both have 2 Cups and played on some horrid teams. One played longer and in the media age.

I've always hated this question since they were the 2 best after Wayne Gretzky.

Fixed it for you

Out of these two players though it is really hard to decide. Both are fantastic and sit 2nd and 3rd all time on the top players list IMO. If I had to choose I think I would take Orr though.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
DKH said:
Gretzky better than Orr :biglaugh:
Better player? Orr. Best player ever. Nobody else could do all the things that he could do. Best career? Gretzky. (A case can be made for Howe, too). Of course, that's a reflection of a longer career, but you can't discount all the records, both single season and career.

If I have a defenceman who scores over 120 points (a pace Orr reached six times), while controlling every aspect of the game, I'll take him over anybody else, ever. (Opinion subject to change if someone comes along with Gretzky's vision and mind, Lemieux's size and goal scoring and Gainey's defensive presence. Not likely to happen).

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
I don't feel I can give a good opinion because I never saw Orr play except for highlights but I'll say that I think this is a good poll question. I've heard many cases for each being the second best hockey player of all time.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
The only player I DID NOT see in his prime that regularly appears in these arguments is Howe. So, with a respectful nod to No. 9, Orr is the best player I've ever seen, easy.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
chooch said:
One played longer and in the media age.

To the objective, informed observer, that point is meaningless. For skill is more important than any amount of hype.

I've always hated this question since they were the 2 best.

I agree. And that is no slight at #99.

I wouldn't. I couldn't. Honestly. In their day, hockey cannot be played any better, more magically. Both a joy to watch.

:)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hmm that's like saying what do you want more a Steak or a Roast. Both were once considered the best in the game at one time. Orr dominated offensively and defensively. Lemieux may have been more dominant offensively but obviously wasnt the defensive player Orr was.

I'd have to say Orr though. Any defenseman that can get 139 points in a season and win the Hart Trophy three times and the Art Ross twice is going to win. Lemieux is great but a comparison of him and Howe might even be better. To me it goes like this

#1 Gretzky
#2 Orr
#3 Howe
#4 Lemieux
#5 Beliveau

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
?

How do you NOT pick Orr? No matter who's there to choose from and Orr's part of that pool how do you not pick Orr????? With hockeys transitional strategies from "O" to "D" and vice versa there's one choice - #4 Someone please argue the case against Orr.....this I have to hear :) NO OFFENSE to #66 or 99 but.....

the choice is easy - ORR :bow:

roryb

Jul 20, 2005
Bobby Orr is the best player ever....to put up those numbers from defence is incredible. Mario is certanly amazing, but Orr is the best ever. Who knows what he would have done with a full healthy career.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
doc5hole said:
BTW, way to torture Bruins Nation as it confronts the reality of no premier player on its roster for the first time since 1966.

Ray Bourque?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad