Proposal: Orpik to Vancouver

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I don't think anyone pays a 1st for Grub
Grubauer was already worth a first before this season, he's easily worth a 1st+ now. Man this board is brutal on the guy, he had two average playoff games and people are making it seem like his entire amazing season is down the drain. Since the ASG no goalie posted better numbers, teams are going to be VERY interested in Grubauer.

NYI has two first round picks, I could see them giving us one and them maybe attaching a prospect as well.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Grubauer was already worth a first before this season, he's easily worth a 1st+ now. Man this board is brutal on the guy, he had two average playoff games and people are making it seem like his entire amazing season is down the drain. Since the ASG no goalie posted better numbers, teams are going to be VERY interested in Grubauer.

NYI has two first round picks, I could see them giving us one and them maybe attaching a prospect as well.

First + Ho Sang? :laugh:

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014

I stand corrected. (said the man in the orthopedic shoes)

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I recognize that... I'm trying to gauge this idea specifically with Caps fans- that's why I came here and not the trade board. Is Orpik's value that divisive amongst your fan base?

It's simple. Orpik is an overpaid mhm player on a cap tight team. He is a good player if used appropriate to his age and skill. He wears an A on a really good team for a reason.

This player is going to be an attractive depth acqusition at the deadline for some playoff team.

Trade a 4th for him. Use his leadership and get a 3rd for him at the deadline.

No way the Caps need to pay someone to take him

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
It's simple. Orpik is an overpaid mhm player on a cap tight team. He is a good player if used appropriate to his age and skill. He wears an A on a really good team for a reason.

This player is going to be an attractive depth acqusition at the deadline for some playoff team.

You think Brooks Orpik would garner a third round draft pick?

hqdefault.jpg

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Not specifically. He would be worth more than a bag of pucks to a playoff team. Then again I like Orpik on the 3rd pair. A steady 3rd pair veteran is only worth a 6th? Nah
Right, I think there is difference though in value to the team that has him and value on the market. As a 3rd line pairing for us he has value, on the trade market? No.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ok so say a hockey deal then. Something like the Laich trade where you got a cheaper replacement back in the same deal:

MDZ/ Hutton @ 50% (1.5/1.4M) for Orpik and a 2nd?

I'd do the Hutton one all day, but can he PK? That would be the big hole to fill

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Right, I think there is difference though in value to the team that has him and value on the market. As a 3rd line pairing for us he has value, on the trade market? No.

So, you are thinking that a playoff team next deadline would pass him up for a middle round pick? I saw who was on the ice for the Caps the last 3 or 4 minutes of the game today. A lot of 44.

I expect multiple playoff teams would trade something to get that for next playoffs.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
So, you are thinking that a playoff team next deadline would pass him up for a middle round pick? I saw who was on the ice for the Caps the last 3 or 4 minutes of the game today. A lot of 44.

I expect multiple playoff teams would trade something to get that for next playoffs.
Yes. I cannot see a playoff team wanting him. I look at the other 15 teams in this year and not on would want him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes. I cannot see a playoff team wanting him. I look at the other 15 teams in this year and not on would want him.

sounds like Orpik hate to me. you are entitled to your opinion. I am impressed by Tom Wilson's even strength numbers including his +5. He leads the team except for a team leading +6 from Orpik. NHL defensemen are hard to get.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

I can't see any team trading a 4th for him without retention. IMO for the Caps there's no reason to move him with retention- he's better off just keeping if you have to retain.
You think Brooks Orpik would garner a third round draft pick?

hqdefault.jpg
At the TDL someone could definitely be willing to give up a 3rd- provided that's 50% retention. Orpik at 2.75M is a good rental deal based on playoff experience. Not a ton of defenceman come available at the deadline who have a ring.
I'd do the Hutton one all day, but can he PK? That would be the big hole to fill
He can PK, but it definitely isn't his strongest suit. He's more of a puck mover with a decent first pass. The biggest thing you'd be missing between the two is the physical play of Orpik- but definitely adding a better skater.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In the playoffs the Caps have killed 22 straight penalties. They have scored 1 shorty. Brooks Orpik leads the team in playoff shorthanded TOI. That's not worth a 4th?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
In the playoffs the Caps have killed 22 straight penalties. They have scored 1 shorty. Brooks Orpik leads the team in playoff shorthanded TOI. That's not worth a 4th?
I don't know many teams willing to give up a fourth and a roster spot for a guy who is literally only useful on the PK.

So no, at 38 I don't see why a team would want him for a mid round pick.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If i was GM of a bad team with cap space, a lot of young D and no good vet mentor, I’d take Orpik for a 4th. That pick rarely turns into an NHL player.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know many teams willing to give up a fourth and a roster spot for a guy who is literally only useful on the PK.

So no, at 38 I don't see why a team would want him for a mid round pick.

except that he is not only useful on the pk. but again. you aren't going to budge no matter what I present

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Orpik has been remarkably consistent for the past ~30 games, really ever since he both stopped playing top 4 minutes and stopped playing with Madison Bowey on the 3rd pair. Give him 3rd pairing minutes + tough PK minutes + a defensive partner who is NHL caliber and he's a really nice fit as a 3LD. The issue for the Caps is that he's paid ~3-3.5mm above what he should be making.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If the playoffs ended today, you'd have to think the chance to sell high on Orpik is at a peak. Pending UFA diminishes that somewhat of course, but doesn't change the fact that he had done well to close out the season. Pretty much everyone from the net out sucked most of the year and he tried to blend in with the herd, as Barry seemingly sandbagged most the year.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If the playoffs ended today, you'd have to think the chance to sell high on Orpik is at a peak. Pending UFA diminishes that somewhat of course, but doesn't change the fact that he had done well to close out the season. Pretty much everyone from the net out sucked most of the year and he tried to blend in with the herd, as Barry seemingly sandbagged most the year.
To me selling high would be downgrading the pick you need to give up to move him. I don't see any team willing to give up an asset to add a guy who will be 38 at the start of next year that makes 5.5M. The only way that would happen is if you retained on his salary, which to me doesn't make sense. His PK ability is more useful to how the Caps roster is composed than opening a max 2.75M in cap space. However opening 5.5M in cap space could be used on his immediate replacement or on a top 9 winger and another low tier defenceman.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yeah i dont see enough benefit in retaining salary. If we move him, we need to replace him. Replacement must be paid too, and possibly costs assets aswell. Maybe at TDL if we are not making the playoffs..

Just doesnt make much sense to trade him. It doesnt look like we really need the cap space or have better use for it anyways next season. Orpik is still working piece for us.

Maybe if a salary floor team is looking for veteranship and leadership, there might be a deal to be made. But easy no for any cap dump scenario. Its just one year. And his actual earnings are lower than caphit aswell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad