Confirmed with Link: Orpik returns! 1YR, $1M

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Umm...nah. Orpik is not on the roster to be the scratch.

He is a primary pk and defensive situational player. Niskanen is the only other 1 if those the Caps have. None of Kempny, Djoos or Bowey do that. Late in playoff games with a lead Orpik took Kemony's spot with Carlson.

He's not the 7. Period.

I will take that bet.

No one else wanted him apparently. He is 39 making 1M. We are closing in on textbook 7 stuff here.

When is the last time we had a kid needing development be our 7?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
thats not it, though. It's also being around someone who foes things "the right way", all the time. You cant screw around when the guy next to you isnt. Least, its a lot harder.

PLUS, and the thing that I havent seen mentioned yet.

Orpik IS Reirden's #1 guy. His sounding board, his voice in the room, all of that. Sure...Ovechkin is the C, and should be the HC's top guy...and that will happen too. BUT, for the past 4 years, Reirden has been the D coach. His top lieutenant has been Orpik. That wont just immediately change now thats hes top dog. Caps should want to do all they can to help Reirden make this adjustment to HC...and having his #1 around to help him is a very smart move.

He may not need to lean on 44. But if he does...there he is. Thats HUGE, IMO.
Great post. This is largely though not at all entirely (as per @Langway ‘s discussion of PK) a leadership-focused signing. There are a lot of folks here who don’t believe in intangibles, but I think it’s clear that GMBM does.

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
////No one else wanted him apparently. ///

I don't know how we can be certain Orpik "settled" for the Caps' offer. It's possible another team dangled a straight $1.5m (or more) w/o any appearance bonuses tied in. Or $1.2x2 or something like that. What price comfort/sticking with what's known? Or a promise of a coaching position when he hangs up the skates? Maybe he got no sniffs whatsoever, but with 30 other teams in the league, I wouldn't be surprised if he left a bit of $ on the table to return to (stay in) DC.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Great post. This is largely though not at all entirely (as per @Langway ‘s discussion of PK) a leadership-focused signing. There are a lot of folks here who don’t believe in intangibles, but I think it’s clear that GMBM does.

And we now have a Cup (the real one, not the Pres fluff) to prove it!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
thats not it, though. It's also being around someone who foes things "the right way", all the time. You cant screw around when the guy next to you isnt. Least, its a lot harder.

PLUS, and the thing that I havent seen mentioned yet.

Orpik IS Reirden's #1 guy. His sounding board, his voice in the room, all of that. Sure...Ovechkin is the C, and should be the HC's top guy...and that will happen too. BUT, for the past 4 years, Reirden has been the D coach. His top lieutenant has been Orpik. That wont just immediately change now thats hes top dog. Caps should want to do all they can to help Reirden make this adjustment to HC...and having his #1 around to help him is a very smart move.

He may not need to lean on 44. But if he does...there he is. Thats HUGE, IMO.

Dilly Dilly!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I really don't feel like arguing with you because no matter what anyone says you will always take Orpik's side of things. Always have and you always will. Orpik and Bowey were both bad during the regular season and had no business being paired together. I doubt they throw them out there together again and the opening night pairings will most likely be the same as the SC clinching game baring any unforeseen injuries or major improvements from our young LD in Hershey

I don't always take Orpik's side. I, without a lot of backup, said Orpik was a major reason the Caps lost to the Pens in 2016. His suspension both took him out of the lineup but loaded more minutes on the already injured Alzner.

But yea...on the pk Orpik over Djoos/Bowey. Last shift protecting a 1 goal lead. Again Orpik. That's easy

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Are we really complaining because of speculation that a 23yr old d-man who played 51 games in his rookie year might not get enough ice time next season on a team that's virtually the same as one that finally won us a Cup???

Cup Team repeat chance >>>>>> worrying about Bowey getting ice time for a year

Has nothing to do with Bowey, it really has nothing to do with Orpik either. I don't care about him as a player per se, we know who and what he brings.

I wanted the competition of Djoos/Bowey/Seigenthaler/Johnsen/Hobbs for two spots, it won't happen for another season now. Orpik is playing unless he gets hurt, there is zero doubt about that.

They ought to just move one or two at this point because Alexeyev won't take as long to be NHL ready as the guys listed above.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Has nothing to do with Bowey, it really has nothing to do with Orpik either. I don't care about him as a player per se, we know who and what he brings.

I wanted the competition of Djoos/Bowey/Seigenthaler/Johnsen/Hobbs for two spots, it won't happen for another season now. Orpik is playing unless he gets hurt, there is zero doubt about that.

They ought to just move one or two at this point because Alexeyev won't take as long to be NHL ready as the guys listed above.

Didnt Niskanen miss a month last year? Didnt carlson miss like 3 months a year or two ago? Let's not act like the team is gonna be completely healthy all year long

Reactions: g00n

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

If the top 4 miss 25 games total and Orpik plays 49 games I think that’s 140 games for those guys, and none of them looked 100% ready last year.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Orpik's coming back certainly hurts Bowey. I think you are right in that Bowey/Orpik pairing was bad....due to both players, so its going to be a tepid allowance to do it again.

Opening night, I would imagine that the D pairings would look just like they did closing night of 2018.

9-2
6-74
44-29

Injuries will allow for Bowey and Orpik to play in the lineup (perhaps not together, either). But with a fully healthy team, I dont see BOTH Bowey and Orpik playing. And to think Orpik is 7 is probably wrong. Bowey is 7.
Orpik coming back might hurt Djoos more than Bowey. If Reirdon decides to play their dmen in their original positions it would hurt Djoos since they are both left dmen. They will likely play someone out of position.
To be honest I'd rather see more Bowey than Djoos. I think Bowey is a better long term prospect.

Reactions: Silky mitts

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Bowey had no business being up with the Caps. He look overwhelmed often, and his decision making was cringe worthy.
Bowey needed the experience with the Caps. He did look overwhelmed at times. His d partner didnt give him a lot of support. So many times Bowey had the puck deep in our corner and Orpik was standing in the opposite faceoff circle.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Orpik coming back might hurt Djoos more than Bowey. If Reirdon decides to play their dmen in their original positions it would hurt Djoos since they are both left dmen. They will likely play someone out of position.
To be honest I'd rather see more Bowey than Djoos. I think Bowey is a better long term prospect.

I’d be very surprised if Djoos was sitting at the start of the season. Unless he has a terrible camp (and conversely, someone has a terrific one).

The comfortable thing to do....and what’s been obviously earned — as of right now — is the 3 pairs from the Cup run. As it should be, In My Opinion

Reactions: SBraun

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If you are thinking Orpik gets scratched 2 out of every 5 games, you are not going to be happy
I guess I’m thinking he’s scratched 1 out of 4 and injured 1 out of 6, maybe scratched 2 out of 5 in 2018 as they test combinations.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Last season. How many games is your max for 44?

Jerabek is no kid. Since he played in the playoffs, he was clearly our 7. I think Djoos sat for as long as he did to recharge his batteries.

Bowey was sent to Hershey IIRC.

O/U for Orpik? Vegas has him at 49.5. The bonus for 40GP tips their hand at how much they expect him to play.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I still think Orpik's job is basically going to be mentoring the younger players, helping in the locker room, and playing enough to stay in shape but not so much he won't be healthy for the playoffs.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I still think Orpik's job is basically going to be mentoring the younger players, helping in the locker room, and playing enough to stay in shape but not so much he won't be healthy for the playoffs.
I agree. He isn’t stupid. He knows he’s not the future of this team. But I also think he has a future with this organization in a coaching role under Reirden, and I see this as his transition year.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Prepare to be disappointed. I mean I do hope you're right.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Prepare to be disappointed. I mean I do hope you're right.

It won't hurt my feelings either way. I don't think they're just going to let Bowie rot on the vine, but there will be team priorities that come first.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

I think that always been part of the plan. Certainly for youngish forwards....or if they need to make a larger "hockey trade" sometime in the next few seasons. They now have some excess cap space to play with, even if Wilson signs at 5m per (I would think that would have happened already if that was the $$$ number).

Looks like a good 1.5m in excess space. Thats with a full roster too. They have some good room to breath, and I would not be surprised to see GMBM use it sometime this fall or winter, depending on needs.

As I've said for years now, I trust GMBM. How can we not? Whatever he thinks is best....well, its best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad