Origin of the woeful "makes no mistake" broadcasting phrase?

vaspa

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
English football (soccer) commentators use the phrase too. I'd say they use it most commonly when a player scores a penalty kick, which is statistically about an 80 percent chance to score. Can be used when someone converts an easy chance from open play too. It's used in written match reports as well.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Woeful and absurd? Not saying I'm condoning the use of this phrase, but it seems really innocuous in the bigger picture, almost like a first world problem.
Well, pro-sports discussion in general is sort of a first-world problem.
English football (soccer) commentators use the phrase too. I'd say they use it most commonly when a player scores a penalty kick, which is statistically about an 80 percent chance to score. Can be used when someone converts an easy chance from open play too. It's used in written match reports as well.
Interesting; I did not know that. Well, if a player had about an 80% chance to score, then "makes no mistake" kind of makes sense. But in hockey it's not like that. Even on a breakaway, a player has maybe a 40% chance to score. Anyway....

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Well, pro-sports discussion in general is sort of a first-world problem.
Would be curious if we include soccer-cricket if this old up.

English being a second language, I also do not get the issue, but I can feel much about any non-first language expression.

Giving its 110%, being everywhere on the ice, I imagine many saying are to create image and not close to be litteral, here simply a saying to talk about an athlete that seem to make significantly less mistakes than the average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad