Organizational Moves (Front Office & Scouting)

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I am just glad Stevie Y kept Jiri Fischer. He scouted and recruited free agents Kaski, Hirose and Kuffner last year and all 3 players have shown very good potential in early reviews this year as well as late last season when 2 of them played in the NHL already.

None of those guys cost us draft picks and would be great additions to the Redwings if they all pan out. They help make up for the years when the Redwings didn't draft very well and had no replacements for players leaving. Their next contract as restricted free agents shouldn't be too onerous either since they have had only 1 year of NHL experience if any or all of them make the team this year.

Organizational depth is very important in helping an NHL team remain competitive year in and year out, and savvy inexpensive free agent additions along with good draft picks are very important components in making the Redwings a fixture again in the playoffs long term.

I am not sure it is such a good idea though to always retain players to management positions who have ties to the organization as players(it didn't work for Edmonton or the New York Rangers, etc.), as Steve has shown an inclination to do(Fischer, Draper, Maltby, Mark Howe, and now Kronner), but perhaps it will work for the Redwings.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I am just glad Stevie Y kept Jiri Fischer. He scouted and recruited free agents Kaski, Hirose and Kuffner last year and all 3 players have shown very good potential in early reviews this year as well as late last season when 2 of them played in the NHL already.

None of those guys cost us draft picks and would be great additions to the Redwings if they all pan out. They help make up for the years when the Redwings didn't draft very well and had no replacements for players leaving. Their next contract as restricted free agents shouldn't be too onerous either since they have had only 1 year of NHL experience if any or all of them make the team this year.

Organizational depth is very important in helping an NHL team remain competitive year in and year out, and savvy inexpensive free agent additions along with good draft picks are very important components in making the Redwings a fixture again in the playoffs long term.

I am not sure it is such a good idea though to always retain players to management positions who have ties to the organization as players(it didn't work for Edmonton or the New York Rangers, etc.), as Steve has shown an inclination to do(Fischer, Draper, Maltby, Mark Howe, and now Kronner), but perhaps it will work for the Redwings.
You left out Verbeek and Cleary.

Edit: and Jesse Wallin

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Interesting that Naurato still works with the Hughes brothers even in his consulting role. I wonder if previous clients were grandfathered into his consulting gig with the Wings... I was just surprised to hear Jack Hughes say he is working with him.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Pretty much some influence of development:

- Gustav Nyquist
- Nick Jensen
- Tomas Tatar
- Petr Mrazek
- Calle Järnkrok
- Andreas Athanasiou
- Anthony Mantha
- Tyler Bertuzzi
- Dylan Larkin

Does Nosek belong on the list too even though he wasn't with the Wings for that long?

It's great that the organization employed him and it seems like he's doing good work.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

And this is how I know I'm getting really old. What is with this obsession with having mostly white (insert clothing item here)? Like full on white sneakers? I don't feel that at all unless you're only going to use them indoors (playing indoor basketball, etc.). I don't like it when my clothes and shoes show dirt...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is Ryan Martin relieved from his duties as Assistant GM?

Ryan Martin Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects

He seems to be a Scout for Team USA, and not mention at Eliteprospects that he is continuing work at Detroit organization for season 2020-21.

Imo, Pat Verbeek is the guy who had the same role under Stevie at Tampa, so maybe he has taken control?

Any news about this?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

He seems to be a Scout for Team USA, and not mention at Eliteprospects that he is continuing work at Detroit organization for season 2020-21.

Imo, Pat Verbeek is the guy who had the same role under Stevie at Tampa, so maybe he has taken control?

Any news about this?

For someone who was a capologist basically, I was never impressed with our cap management under Holland.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For someone who was a capologist basically, I was never impressed with our cap management under Holland.

I didn't mind about that cap-thing, but latest moves at Grand Rapids have been pretty disastrous. Crap coaches after good guys leave etc. Jim Nill did build that team much better imo.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

Any news about this?
They haven't updated the team page fully yet. Only staff members are Yzerman & Blashill
Detroit Red Wings at eliteprospects.com

edit. Didn't Yzerman wanted to take Martin with him, when he left to Tampa?

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I didn't mind about that cap-thing, but latest moves at Grand Rapids have been pretty disastrous. Crap coaches after good guys leave etc. Jim Nill did build that team much better imo.

Part of the cap management thing was drawing up cap comparables and giving Holland/Yzerman info on the sort of contract to offer. Like the contract offered to Gator. He also screwed up our cap management one year wrt LTIR and handicapped us with a lower cap hit for the season.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
4th? That's a little much, no?

Detroit Red Wings fans are among the most delusional in the NHL.
And this is more evidence.
TRUSTTHEYZERPLAN

They were praising Holland until the fourth wheel fell off and street hookers were stealing loose change from the console.

I'm not sure why so many Detroit Red Wings fans are so delusional. The other fanbases don't seem so pollyanna about everything.
We had a great f***ing run, and that played into it. The local beat writers are soft as can be
I just read the story on Lucas Raymond in The Athletic. Pure fluff. Bultman doesn't address a single issue in his game.
And that's what we're used to around these parts.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Detroit Red Wings fans are among the most delusional in the NHL.
And this is more evidence.
TRUSTTHEYZERPLAN

They were praising Holland until the fourth wheel fell off and street hookers were stealing loose change from the console.

I'm not sure why so many Detroit Red Wings fans are so delusional. The other fanbases don't seem so pollyanna about everything.
We had a great f***ing run, and that played into it. The local beat writers are soft as can be
I just read the story on Lucas Raymond in The Athletic. Pure fluff. Bultman doesn't address a single issue in his game.
And that's what we're used to around these parts.
There were a few Holland sunshine blowers at the very end. Yzerman built a very good team in Tampa and is going about rebuilding Detroit with a very sane and rational approach. He's been trusting our best scout with most of the high value draft picks. I am not sure what there is to criticize Yzerman about at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
After the last 2 drafts and looking at our historic record it's pretty clear that we need to invest in getting better/more North American scouts. I'm very happy with our European picks since 2018 but the North American picks seem to be lackluster in comparison. I'd say that is my biggest critique of Yzerman so far. He hasn't had much to work with to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00