Proposal: Option Choc - Shock

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I know this is a bit wild, and not many teams would do this, but perhaps this management team is ready to think out of the box once again:

If Slaf, Heineman and Mesar finish the camp well, how about jolting the team and sending a message about playing with heart and drive for results.

Waive Drouin, Armia, Hoffman and send them to Laval when no one claims them. Tell them that their job is to hustle their a55es off and prove why they should be back in the NHL soon.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Dadonov-Dvorak-Gallagher
Heineman-Dach-Anderson
Monahan-Evans-Mesar
extras: Pitlick, Pezzetta

Dadonov and Monahan get a chance because they did not mail it in for Montreal both last year and in this camp. Also, they may fetch value at the trade deadline.

Gallagher gets a chance because of the value hustle has for this club.

If Mesar is not ready, give the roster spot to the best of these three: Ylonen or RHP or Richard

Put the focus on teaching. Without pressure to never make a mistake, the youngsters should be lappnig things up and learning on the job.

Let the disappointed vets either show why the club made a mistake, or confirm that their cardiac problems are permanent.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I know this is a bit wild, and not many teams would do this, but perhaps this management team is ready to think out of the box once again:

If Slaf, Heineman and Mesar finish the camp well, how about jolting the team and sending a message about playing with heart and drive for results.

Waive Drouin, Armia, Hoffman and send them to Laval when no one claims them. Tell them that their job is to hustle their a55es off and prove why they should be back in the NHL soon.

Dadonov-Dvorak-Gallagher
Heineman-Dach-Anderson
Monahan-Evans-Mesar

Dadonov and Monahan get a chance because they did not mail it in for Montreal both last year and in this camp. Also, they may fetch value at the trade deadline.

If Mesar is not ready, give the roster spot to the best of these three: Ylonen or RHP or Richard

Put the focus on teaching. Without pressure to never make a mistake, the youngsters should be lappnig things up and learning on the job.

Let the disappointed vets either show why the club made a mistake, or confirm that their cardiac problems are permanent.

Mesar should start 100% sure about it

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The idea that Heineman or whoever is better than guys with 50 points and 30 goals seasons in the NHL is something that just destroys my brain!

You can't be freaking serious about this?

Heineman had like 8 solid shifts in 2 games where he shot the puck and didn't even hit the net on most of those shots ffs!

I don't understand this constant all the vets suck mentality on this board...

Pathetic stuff.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I get how you’re not targeting vets for the sake of targeting them.

You’re taking issue with them being deadwood types with a questionable work ethic and how their attitudes run counter to the roster building strategy that this management contingent is slowly implementing.

We’d all want these undesirables out pronto but I don’t know that waiving them all is the solution. Maybe just waive the one guy with an expiring contract who is not likely to garner any trading interest at the deadline. Just doing that might send a clear message reinforcing what kind of culture HuGo is striving to instill.

As for those deadwood vets who’d remain with the NHL club in the above scenario, they would be badly outnumbered by a host of veteran players like Matheson, Edmundson, Monahan, Allen, Gallagher, Byron (if he returns) all of whom are a positive influence and who have shown to be great examples and great teammates.

You don’t need to rip them all out at once to see progress happen. I’d save that shock/ choc treatment for your pool or your spa, next spring.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The idea that Heineman or whoever is better than guys with 50 points and 30 goals seasons in the NHL is something that just destroys my brain!

Heineman had like 8 solid shifts in 2 games where he shot the puck and didn't even hit the net on most of those shots ffs!

Pathetic stuff.
I can live with not putting up a lot of points. Gallagher gets a pass. But I am very disappointed in the effort shown by Armia, Hoffman and Drouin to date.

By the way, out of 24 seasons combined,, they have ONE 30 goal year between them. Between Armia and Drouin, ONE 20 goal season in 15.

Hey, if Heineman turns out not to be ready, no problem to send him down and bring up one of the awakened vets ... if any of them wake up.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs and Toene

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This could also be titled "Let's rush prospects because we can"
Not really. Substitute Ylonen or RHP or Richard for any kid you think is not ready.

In three to four weeks, you will know which if any of these vets still has the drive to be here.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I can live with not putting up a lot of points. Gallagher gets a pass. But I am very disappointed in the effort shown by Armia, Hoffman and Drouin to date.

By the way, out of 24 seasons combined,, they have ONE 30 goal year between them. Between Armia and Drouin, ONE 20 goal season in 15.

Hey Heineman turns out not to be ready, no problem to send him down and bring up one of the awakened vets ... if any of them wake up.
Can we wait till the regular season start at least, please?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Sure if we wanted to win this year give the lazy vets a jolt but they’re perfect for what we need (Ls) and let the kids develop elsewhere unless some are lights out next few preseason games

Reactions: Redux91 and viceroy

Manse

Jun 17, 2022

Pathetic stuff.
Becase they do suck and have been for a couple of years now ... they seem very dis-interested

Reactions: BaseballCoach

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Can we wait till the regular season start at least, please?
It would be too late. By then, three or so veterans will have made the team without deserving it based on drive and interest. Bad for the winning culture plan.

Reactions: Toene

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Sure if we wanted to win this year give the lazy vets a jolt but they’re perfect for what we need (Ls) and let the kids develop elsewhere unless some are lights out next few preseason games
This type of reply is why I asked the MODS to siphon out the tanking messages into two distinct threads.

One, where we can debate IF we should tank.

Two, where we assume a tank and debate the ideal bad moves to make.

For example, in THAT thread we could debate whether the best thing would be to waive Matheson, Anderson, Edmundson, Evans and Dvorak, i.e. guys over 26 who are hurting the tank the most.

People could be free to post ideas like optioning Caufield to Laval as well, to "develop together" with Slaf, Mesar, Heineman, Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj and Barron.

People could suggest picking up the worst players on the waiver wire.

People who share the goal of tanking could discuss whether it makes sense to send the kids down "unless they are lights out" instead of sending them down ESPECIALLY if they are playing lights out!

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Not really. Substitute Ylonen or RHP or Richard for any kid you think is not ready.

In three to four weeks, you will know which if any of these vets still has the drive to be here.
It’s less drive than team composition. Drouin would be fine with a PMD and some forwards who open space, but the habs don’t have that, and they have Caufield and Hoffman who need the same minutes and situation.

Drouin isn’t going to he a star, and Hoffman may not be good, but evaluating them by how they look when they can’t play to their strengths doesn’t help anybody. The habs have had enough coaches snd GMs who trashed guys, there is no point in a losing season. Push for effort, sure, but no point in bashing these guys because Bergevin’s team building was random.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I get how you’re not targeting vets for the sake of targeting them.

You’re taking issue with them being deadwood types with a questionable work ethic and how their attitudes run counter to the roster building strategy that this management contingent is slowly implementing.

We’d all want these undesirables out pronto but I don’t know that waiving them all is the solution. Maybe just waive the one guy with an expiring contract who is not likely to garner any trading interest at the deadline. Just doing that might send a clear message reinforcing what kind of culture HuGo is striving to instill.

As for those deadwood vets who’d remain with the NHL club in the above scenario, they would be badly outnumbered by a host of veteran players like Matheson, Edmundson, Monahan, Allen, Gallagher, Byron (if he returns) all of whom are a positive influence and who have shown to be great examples and great teammates.

You don’t need to rip them all out at once to see progress happen. I’d save that shock/ choc treatment for your pool or your spa, next spring.
If I were going to waive just one guy among these vets, it would be Armia. Never scored more than 16, average 13.7 per 82 games, and much worse lately.

No one will trade value for him at the deadline because he has two more years at $3.4M. The only reason to not waive him was if he was poised for a big comeback, but unless something drastic happens and he gets a heart transplant this coming week, I see little downside to waiving him. Drouin and Hoffman and the rest of the team will possibly get the message with just that one move.

Drouin is the only one of the walking zombies with an expiring contract, and I would gladly waive him too but if the goal is to stick to one, Armia has the lowest regret factor. I don't think targeting guys who are busting their asses to rehab like Byron or Monahan sends the right message. It might be differerent when they do come back but if for some reason can't play at an NHL level.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If I were going to waive just one guy among these vets, it would be Armia. Never scored more than 16, average 13.7 per 82 games, and much worse lately.

No one will trade value for him at the deadline because he has two more years at $3.4M. The only reason to not waive him was if he was poised for a big cdomeback, but unless something drastic happens and he gets a heart transplant this coming week, I see little downside to waiving him. Drouin and Hoffman and the rest of the team will possibly get the message with just that one move.

Drouin is the only one of the walking zombies with an expiring contract, and I would gladly waive him too but if the goal is to stick to one, Armia has the lowest regret factor. I don't think targeting guys who are busting their asses to rehab like Byron or Monahan sends the right message. It might be differerent when they do come back but if for some reason can't play at an NHL level.
I figured Drouin was the best deadwood to ditch as I seriously doubt that he can build any trade value by the deadline. If they need that extra roster spot for a critical decision, he has to be the weakest link IMHO.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

Dadonov-Dvorak-Gallagher
Heineman-Dach-Anderson
Monahan-Evans-Mesar

Rushing prospects to make a point to the vets is a recipe for disaster. Mesar and Heineman are not ready yet

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
You want shock value, you don't mess with Armia, Hoffman, Byron etc. You go right for the jugular and that's Drouin. No other player will cause more of an uproar than him. Both with the media and throughout the team.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Rushing prospects to make a point to the vets is a recipe for disaster. Mesar and Heineman are not ready yet
I'm not for putting guys in the NHL if not ready. The premise was IF THEY WERE READY. However, the underlying point is that the team wants to build a winning culture. It starts with the most deserving players making the team. If it's Ylonen instead of Mesar, fine. If it's Monahan instead of Slafkovsky, that is also fine.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
In the case of Heineman, it's not a question of being ready, it's that he goes back to the SHL playing on his club bottom 6. If the Habs wants to send him to the AHL to get top 6 minutes, they have to keep him with the NHL until January.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
I'd consider that but only after 10 games.

Hoffman in particular has little chance of having any trade value so I wouldn't mind burying him in the minors and replacing him with a rookie on a ELC. The only option to move him will be to pay a team to take him on, and we won't do that in a rebuild. Maybe in 24-25 if we start performing and need the $$$.

Armia could rebound and hold some value down the road and be useful to the team.

Drouin, meh, but I would at least give him 20 games to get it going, he usually has good starts to be fair. Often the most productive forward in the first 20 games.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
As much as I’d love to ship dead weight to Laval, the whole thinking outside the box and telling youngsters to play with heart is EXACTLY the MO of the prior administration.

We‘re in a rebuild. Losing sucks, and I’m not wild about it, but it’s part of the process. It appears HuGo have a plan so we need to give it time. Decisions around some of the, uh, less useful players will come organically through the process.

Reactions: Runner77 and Peteux

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Let's wait a few games into the season before doing something too drastic.

However, Yo-Elle is my candidate if you want to pass a message.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad