OPPF Draft 2020 - Draft Thread 2

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Considered Gilbert Perrault as my 4th line center, before deciding that I just couldn't justify him in a bottom 6 role, especially since I had all the forwards I needed for my PP.

I don't think Eddie Oatman was much of a two-way winger, was he? I think of him as a guy with some grit.

i thought so, but ultimately i decided i didn't know enough about him to take him over tocchet and pavelski, the two bottom six wingers i had him in range of. good thing i didn't i guess?

i'm admittedly pretty low on lecavalier's intangibles, but what do you see in him as a 4C over perreault or any other skill center? bobby smith, for ex, is someone i might have taken in a 4C role if i wanted size and defensive ability.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
i thought so, but ultimately i decided i didn't know enough about him to take him over tocchet and pavelski, the two bottom six wingers i had him in range of. good thing i didn't i guess?

i'm admittedly pretty low on lecavalier's intangibles, but what do you see in him as a 4C over perreault or any other skill center? bobby smith, for ex, is someone i might have taken in a 4C role if i wanted size and defensive ability.

LeCavalier was big and strong, semi-physical, good on faceoffs, and fought more than most star players of his era. I think he's a pretty good good fit for a crash and bang or energy line. I also think his shooting mentality is a nice fit next to Blake Wheeler.

He also developed a pretty good defensive game by 2007 or so (to the point where Pat Burns called him "the best all-round player in the league"), but I'm not sure if he lost it a few years later when he really started getting hit by injuries. I don't think it makes him good defensively here, but I think it makes up for his one-way play early in his career to where he's probably net neutral defensively here.

I was willing to try Hawerchuk or Stastny as 4th line C, but Perreault just doesn't have ANY non-offensive ability as far as I know.

Re: Bobby Smith - I always think of him as Montreal, but maybe that's not correct. Edit: I couldn't draft Minnesota/Dallas anyway.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I'd have to guess the conversation on the Pens was too much for him? He's also edited his team roster to say "(cancelled)"

Well, hopefully he isn’t gone for good. I respect his passion for these All-Time drafts. Sure, he sometimes tends to rub people the wrong way (he’s very opinionated) and he’s known to post emotionally on occasion, but I’ve gotten to know him quite well over the past year through PM and he is legitimately a good guy. He loves these things. Probably more than any of us. That passion would be missed, IMO.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
LeCavalier was big and strong, semi-physical, good on faceoffs, and fought more than most star players of his era. I think he's a pretty good good fit for a crash and bang or energy line. I also think his shooting mentality is a nice fit next to Blake Wheeler.

He also developed a pretty good defensive game by 2007 or so (to the point where Pat Burns called him "the best all-round player in the league"), but I'm not sure if he lost it a few years later when he really started getting hit by injuries. I don't think it makes him good defensively here, but I think it makes up for his one-way play early in his career to where he's probably net neutral defensively here.

I was willing to try Hawerchuk or Stastny as 4th line C, but Perreault just doesn't have ANY non-offensive ability as far as I know.

Re: Bobby Smith - I always think of him as Montreal, but maybe that's not correct. Edit: I couldn't draft Minnesota/Dallas anyway.
Vinny did not have much of a defensive game really at any point. Love him but him and another undrafted Tampa C just never clicked on that side of the ice.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Vinny did not have much of a defensive game really at any point. Love him but him and another undrafted Tampa C just never clicked on that side of the ice.

I suppose Burns may have been comparing his D to 2006-07 Crosby, and it's not that big of an accomplishment to be better than 2nd year Crosby in one's own end.

From my own limited viewing of LeCavalier at the time, I thought he was noticably better than the 2004 version in his own end.. But again, perhaps not saying a ton.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I suppose Burns may have been comparing his D to 2006-07 Crosby, and it's not that big of an accomplishment to be better than 2nd year Crosby in one's own end.

From my own limited viewing of LeCavalier at the time, I thought he was noticably better than the 2004 version in his own end.. But again, perhaps not saying a ton.
He shouldn't be deployed as a checker, but he wasn't a black hole or anything.

Also kind of shocked Stamkos didn't get picked, especially because now he has a solid argument on being a RW as well as C.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
He shouldn't be deployed as a checker, but he wasn't a black hole or anything.

Also kind of shocked Stamkos didn't get picked, especially because now he has a solid argument on being a RW as well as C.

Stamkos was #2 behind Perreault on my "scoring line or bust centers I don't have a use for."

How long has he played RW now?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Stamkos was #2 behind Perreault on my "scoring line or bust centers I don't have a use for."

How long has he played RW now?
Basically this full season and a good chunk of the previous with some spot time at other points in his career, and he's probably there moving forward unless we are forced to dump Cirelli.

Check that - he has played both wings in that period.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I have my votes just about ready to send, just waiting on confirmation. I guess we're ranking teams 1-12 for this?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We agree two divisions of odds vs. Evens (draft order) predraft but BB said that last time the roster thread order wasn't ordered, so this time the roster thread needn't be either.

So, slug through the weeds...

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm just finalizing with someone if he can take the votes. Sorry, I was a bit late because I was with my GF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad