Opinions on Veterans Memorial? (Portland)

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I've never been, but it's a cool backdrop when watching games on TV. It has a grandeur that my local home arena lacks, to say the least. It does look a bit on the older side, but it still seems to work for everyone?

I'd love to make it out to Portland for a game some day!

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Pretty old barn that was meant more for basketball rather than hockey, however there really isn’t a bad seat. Helps that the team is good as well.
It wasn’t actually built with basketball first mentality. It was built before “hockey“ decided it should standardize the rink size. It was built with as much flexibility as a smaller metropolis could muster for the cost, with one primary feature being the ability to have the Portland Rose Festival Grand Floral Parade pass inside it.

It’s old, it really needs nearly everything replaced (the rink resized to standard is probably the 2nd newest thing about it), and the estimated cost of renovation from 12 years ago is now a pipe dream because there’s at least $30 million in deferred maintenance required. Yet it’s on the National Historic Register, and it’s a problem attracting fans now. And it’s a city with a strong preservationist streak while most other WHL arenas have luxury suites. It has a distinct design, and right across a plaza from the modern arena with the ownership keeping a tight grip on scheduling both places and a tendency to be less than subtle about not making rent breaks. Riddle wrapped in conundrum and fueled by enigma or whatever.

New ownership opted for logo change (which placates the city and residents at the expense of long-time fans), but mimics bad ownership of a couple decades ago that decided all games should in the old place and, hence, fans don’t turn out for anything except Teddy Bear Toss and Dash for Cash night. We’ll probably have another threat to leave, followed by another ownership change and a mix of arena dates because history keeps repeating around the Winterhawks.

Shrug.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
New ownership opted for logo change (which placates the city and residents at the expense of long-time fans), but mimics bad ownership of a couple decades ago that decided all games should in the old place and, hence, fans don’t turn out for anything except Teddy Bear Toss and Dash for Cash night. We’ll probably have another threat to leave, followed by another ownership change and a mix of arena dates because history keeps repeating around the Winterhawks.

On that note re: playing games in the old place, how did that come about? Was it simply a matter of ownership not wanting to pay for the Moda Centre anymore?

I can see the appeal of wanting to play out of just one building. I've never been to the Coliseum before but it certainly looks like it's up to WHL standards.

winterhawkssupporter

Dec 26, 2022
On that note re: playing games in the old place, how did that come about? Was it simply a matter of ownership not wanting to pay for the Moda Centre anymore?

I can see the appeal of wanting to play out of just one building. I've never been to the Coliseum before but it certainly looks like it's up to WHL standards.

It wasn’t actually built with basketball first mentality. It was built before “hockey“ decided it should standardize the rink size. It was built with as much flexibility as a smaller metropolis could muster for the cost, with one primary feature being the ability to have the Portland Rose Festival Grand Floral Parade pass inside it.

It’s old, it really needs nearly everything replaced (the rink resized to standard is probably the 2nd newest thing about it), and the estimated cost of renovation from 12 years ago is now a pipe dream because there’s at least $30 million in deferred maintenance required. Yet it’s on the National Historic Register, and it’s a problem attracting fans now. And it’s a city with a strong preservationist streak while most other WHL arenas have luxury suites. It has a distinct design, and right across a plaza from the modern arena with the ownership keeping a tight grip on scheduling both places and a tendency to be less than subtle about not making rent breaks. Riddle wrapped in conundrum and fueled by enigma or whatever.

Shrug.
This new ownership group has been controversial to say the least. I don’t mind the revision of the logo, I think it looks good and the old logo was dated. I don’t get the jersey redesign. That red, white, and black have been iconic ever since the 70’s. It’s been replaced with these kraken look a like jerseys, which aren’t bad but I don’t think there good either. It’s all been kinda frustrating, especially because the ticket prices have increased and the quality of the game day experience has gone down. At least the team is doing well, although Seattle looks unstoppable.

kneelworm

Jan 11, 2023
Went to a handful of Winterhawks games when I lived in Portland for a few years. Only one of them was at the coliseum but I preferred the game experience there vs Moda. It seemed like a more lade back vibe and it was cool wandering around checking out the ballrooms and what not. Also lived in San Diego for a few years and went to tons of Gulls games at the sports arena so I'm probably just partial to the old run down barns. They're so unique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad