Player Discussion Opinions on Nico Sturm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
I was wondering how Nico has looked in his time with the team so far? He seemed like he would make a very good 3rd line C. How do you see him for the rest of the season? Next season?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Decent #4C with #3C upside. Should be playing #3C on our team with it's atrocious Center depth. Still too early to know for sure, though.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
His last game wasn’t his best, 2 penalties. I think he’s been more than adequate in all the other games. Ferocious on the forecheck. Don’t recall his point totals but if he keeps his game up he should be able to chip in.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Really like Sturm. Was the best player a the developement camp the year Boldy was drafted. Comes to play every night. Great on the fore check, good speed, tenacious, and also a decent penalty killer. Great free agent signing.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He reminds me of Eriksson Ek from a few years ago. Works his ass off, is usually where he's supposed to be, fairly strong on the puck, but produces nothing. Hopefully he can progress like Ek did to become a quality 3rd liner at least. If not, his size and skating will still keep him in the NHL as a 4th liner for years.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
He reminds me of Eriksson Ek from a few years ago. Works his ass off, is usually where he's supposed to be, fairly strong on the puck, but produces nothing. Hopefully he can progress like Ek did to become a quality 3rd liner at least. If not, his size and skating will still keep him in the NHL as a 4th liner for years.
I think his ceiling is a bit higher.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i like sturm as a 4th liner (speed & work ethic) however now that rask in on fire hmmmmm maybe one of them turns into a deadline draft pick.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Still bullish on Nico. Love the speed, length, ability to play C. Could be wrong, but I think he has the ability to sneak in some offense in the transition game. I can see him centering Hartman and Foligno for a really nice 4th line, or decent 3rd line at some time in the future. He's not as strong or as lockdown as JEE, but he is faster, and has some heft to him.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Good not great. He has decent speed, a big body, and plays and competes hard. He even flashes skill. That said, I've seen him completely not notice that he was the player being passed the puck to by teammates multiple times this season, making me question his level of awareness and resulting in turnovers, and he probably won't ever be a real good offensive threat. Seems like the makings for a pretty good bottom 6 center to me.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think Evason and BG are doing a dis-service to themselves by not seeing if there is more there with Sturm up in the lineup before the TDL and free agency.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Sturm is 25. For example, Ek is still only 24. It's a different scenario when you look like Sturm does now at 19-20-21 in the NHL and then develop further.

I would like to see Sturm play Center. I like that he has good NHL size, good or even better than good speed, and above average compete level. I also like that he has a little bit of skill, vision, hands, etc. even if I don't see top 6 skill.

I think he can be a cheap 3rd line C option or wing or a great 4th liner. Good on the PK as well. I hope he's with the team for the forseeable future.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not everyone can, or should, be a top 6 player. A team needs all kinds. I'll take Nico as a reasonably priced bottom six guy all day long.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not everyone can, or should, be a top 6 player. A team needs all kinds. I'll take Nico as a reasonably priced bottom six guy all day long.

So we shouldn't even try to figure out if there is more there when he has looked great in his limited role, has great underlying numbers, and is a natural C. Just pigeon hole him where he is despite our glaring need at C?

Makes sense.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
So we shouldn't even try to figure out if there is more there when he has looked great in his limited role, has great underlying numbers, and is a natural C. Just pigeon hole him where he is despite our glaring need at C?

Makes sense.

I agree that on this team it seems like he could be more impactful than Rask or Bjugstad who clearly don't show any more than Sturm does.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think Evason and BG are doing a dis-service to themselves by not seeing if there is more there with Sturm up in the lineup before the TDL and free agency.
I think they're handling his development about as well as anyone could. He's gone from a complete non-factor, to a guy that is creating multiple scoring chances a game, in the span of 20 games. Kid doesn't even have 30 NHL games under his belt yet. The chances to play higher up the lineup with better players will come.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think they're handling his development about as well as anyone could. He's gone from a complete non-factor, to a guy that is creating multiple scoring chances a game, in the span of 20 games. Kid doesn't even have 30 NHL games under his belt yet. The chances to play higher up the lineup with better players will come.

We'll that's why I said themselves, as opposed to Sturm. He sure as heck looks like he could be a competent 3C. Given we're running Rask and Bjugstad out at C every night, sure seems like a fine time to see if there is more there. We're not talking about a 19 year old prospect, who has physical maturing left to do.

Knowing if you need two top 9 Centers next year or 1 would be pretty helpful.

Reactions: Prior

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Sturm is 25. For example, Ek is still only 24. It's a different scenario when you look like Sturm does now at 19-20-21 in the NHL and then develop further.

I would like to see Sturm play Center. I like that he has good NHL size, good or even better than good speed, and above average compete level. I also like that he has a little bit of skill, vision, hands, etc. even if I don't see top 6 skill.

I think he can be a cheap 3rd line C option or wing or a great 4th liner. Good on the PK as well. I hope he's with the team for the forseeable future.
I’m going to stop you right there. We have a word for it, it’s called competitiveness.
I don’t know who started “compete level” but they need to be fired.

out of a cannon

Into the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad