[Opinion Piece] Canucks will look to add a Top 4 defenseman by Trade this off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Why don't these idiots just try and sign one in FA?

There isn't much to trade to get one.

Unless they are looking to pinch a young RFA from someone.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Probably Hamonic
Far to much because "Benning and Weisbrod"
Beside Sbisa on the 2nd pairing (Should be Hutton but "Willie")
He walks and our mgmt look like morons again

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Sounds like Hamhuis will not be resigned - if true? He's not signing for 3d pairing D money and we don't have much cap space
Edlter - Tanev
Hutton - UFA/Trade
Sbisa - Larsen/Tryamin etc

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
I wish they'd just re-sign Hamhuis or try and get Yandle. It'll probably be something along the lines of Hutton+McCann+2nd for Hamonic.

:(

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
What do we even have that could land a top 4 D? McCann, Gaunce, 33rd pick, Columbus pick... some combination. I don't really like the idea of that. No point trying to make the playoffs next year at the expense of these things.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Why would we need a top 4 d-man when we already have Tanev, Edler, Hamhuis, and Sbisa?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I'd rather just take a shot at Demers instead. Need another top4 righty and he can PK and PP. Much better option IMHO than Dan Hamhuis at this point in his career.
They should explore sale price Miller trades. Run with Marky and sign a 1B guy for medium wage, or grab a perennial back up and let Marky run with it.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Hansen and Gaunce or Hansen and Subban.

*Assuming they sign Erikkson.

Who knows with this group. Be prepared for an overpayment for a mediocre player.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
PK subban on the trading block?
I'm certainly a big fan of his, perhaps next years first this years second and McCann/Gaunce + Burrows and we retain salary

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
So as per MacIntyre the Canucks will look to add Via Trade to the top 4.

Who do we look to add?
Who/what do we give up?
Where do they slot into the lineup?
What does this mean for Dan Hamhuis?

there are about 20 teams looking to add a LEGIT top 4 d-man. Asking price will be high. We just need to look at the asking price for Hamonic out of New York to get an idea.

The Question is are we willing to pay that price?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Hey, since this team is clearly in "go for it" mode, this guy Dan Hamhuis is a top-4 defenseman, and one who wants to play in BC. I know the Vancouver Hockey Club currently holds his rights, but maybe the Canucks could trade for them and sign him instead of surrendering assets to one of the 29 competing teams that doesn't play in Rogers Arena?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't know if these guys signing free agent contracts or making trades is worse. Just keeping adding via the draft because it appears to be the only thing not being mangled beyond recognition. Do not trade our 2017 1st rounder.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
You guys are missing the obvious- we will trade down from say 4th or 5th overall and acquire a #3 d and someone's 20-30th pick.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What do we even have that could land a top 4 D? McCann, Gaunce, 33rd pick, Columbus pick... some combination. I don't really like the idea of that. No point trying to make the playoffs next year at the expense of these things.

Yeah, with the complete gutting of organizational depth, we don't really have much to offer.

Would have been nice to have Shinkaruk and a high pick from Hamhuis in the mix.

Really, the only thing we have of any value that we could somewhat afford to move and remotely be a good trade chip is McCann ... and I'm not sold that's a terribly good idea. He is blocking Granlund for a roster spot, though.

Jason Demers should be a major UFA target but he's probably not 'toolsy' enough for ol' Jimbo, though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
PK subban on the trading block?
I'm certainly a big fan of his, perhaps next years first this years second and McCann/Gaunce + Burrows and we retain salary

This. So much this.

Though we'll give up the 2nd overall pick, our 2nd round pick, next years 1st round pick, and Chris Tanev for Subban because Benning.

But I'd definitely do 2017 1st round pick, 33rd overall pick this year, Jared McCann, and retained salary on Burrows for Subban.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
PROS: The Canucks certainly could use another good defenseman, and finding them on the FA market is occasionally equivalent to hunting for leprechauns.

CONS: God only knows what Weisbrod Special the team will identify as being the right fit. There's a track record to be considered when it comes to identifying pro talent at the defense position with this group, and it's not a promising one.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
This. So much this.

Though we'll give up the 2nd overall pick, our 2nd round pick, next years 1st round pick, and Chris Tanev for Subban because Benning.

But I'd definitely do 2017 1st round pick, 33rd overall pick this year, Jared McCann, and retained salary on Burrows for Subban.

Gotta think Edmonton would outbid us without blinking - Drai and their 2016 1st would be more than enough, and wouldn't really hurt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad