Series Discussion: OOT Playoff series Thread (West: Ducks/Preds, East: Pens/Sens)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I don't know why Weber-Irwin got a single shift after the 3-1 goal. You have two top pairings and it's make-or-break time.

Bad coaching there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Does anyone else miss the days when a playoff series didn't take more than 2 weeks? I grew up in an era where a 5 game series would be over in 11 or 12 days. games 1/2 and 3/4 were often played on back to back days and there was rarely more than a single day off between games. This years Cup final is the epitome of how awful it has gotten, 2 days off anytime there is travel? Give me a ****ing break it kills the momentum of the series and playoffs as a whole, causing them to drag on far too long.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Does anyone else miss the days when a playoff series didn't take more than 2 weeks? I grew up in an era where a 5 game series would be over in 11 or 12 days. games 1/2 and 3/4 were often played on back to back days and there was rarely more than a single day off between games. This years Cup final is the epitome of how awful it has gotten, 2 days off anytime there is travel? Give me a ****ing break it kills the momentum of the series and playoffs as a whole, causing them to drag on far too long.

For the first couple of rounds, that was what the pace was (quicker, actually), so I'm not sure what you mean. The Flames were eliminated in 4 games over 7 days. If it had gone 5 games, it would've taken 9 or 10 games (didn't check the schedule on that one).

I feel like they always drag things out a little more in the Finals because they want the product on the ice to be the best possible with player fatigue less of a factor. Baseball does the same thing in the playoffs with off days for every travel.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For the first couple of rounds, that was what the pace was (quicker, actually), so I'm not sure what you mean. The Flames were eliminated in 4 games over 7 days. If it had gone 5 games, it would've taken 9 or 10 games (didn't check the schedule on that one).

I feel like they always drag things out a little more in the Finals because they want the product on the ice to be the best possible with player fatigue less of a factor. Baseball does the same thing in the playoffs with off days for every travel.
What are you talking about? Even the Flames series had it gone 7 games would have taken 2 weeks (13 days). Yes, in the first couple rounds it's not so bad as they generally play every other day. But each of the first 3 rounds take about 3 days longer, plus they add an extra day or 2 of rest between rounds that didn't used to be there, then they extend the finals by 5 days. That makes the playoffs take an extra 3 weeks. The playoffs back in the day were amazing because it was a grueling tournament, they have eliminated so much of that and IMO if kills the atmosphere of the playoffs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What are you talking about? Even the Flames series had it gone 7 games would have taken 2 weeks (13 days). Yes, in the first couple rounds it's not so bad as they generally play every other day. But each of the first 3 rounds take about 3 days longer, plus they add an extra day or 2 of rest between rounds that didn't used to be there, then they extend the finals by 5 days. That makes the playoffs take an extra 3 weeks. The playoffs back in the day were amazing because it was a grueling tournament, they have eliminated so much of that and IMO if kills the atmosphere of the playoffs.

Oh... you said 11-12 days for 5 games. If you meant 11-12 for 7 games, that would mean there would by necessity be one back-to-back in every series, and multiple in others. I don't think that's been the case in recent memory, has it? I mean, just looking back at the '89 SCF, that featured one extra off-day between Games 1 and 2, and one day between every other game.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh... you said 11-12 days for 5 games. If you meant 11-12 for 7 games, that would mean there would by necessity be one back-to-back in every series, and multiple in others. I don't think that's been the case in recent memory, has it? I mean, just looking back at the '89 SCF, that featured one extra off-day between Games 1 and 2, and one day between every other game.
It should have been 7 games and yeah it's been a while since we had regular back to backs in the playoffs. Even every other day would be fine, but 2 days between games is stupid, especially in the final. But in the first couple/few rounds back to backs in games 1/2 and 3/4 were the norm.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Looking at the schedule I think they are trying to avoid having games on the same day as the NBA finals. I was just looking at both schedules to make sure and that's what it looks like.

That was a problem last year in the finals iirc. Golden State is huge in California and they played last year in the NBA finals. Some of the games over lapped as some nights too. As a result, viewership was down a lot. Didn't help that San Jose is a Cali team as well and/or people were more interested in LeBron vs Curry. Now, this year it's up 20% compared to last playoffs, but I also think a contributing factor is that it's the same teams in the finals 3 years in a row.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Looking at the schedule I think they are trying to avoid having games on the same day as the NBA finals. I was just looking at both schedules to make sure and that's what it looks like.

That was a problem last year in the finals iirc. Golden State is huge in California and they played last year in the NBA finals. Some of the games over lapped as some nights too. As a result, viewership was down a lot. Didn't help that San Jose is a Cali team as well and/or people were more interested in LeBron vs Curry. Now, this year it's up 20% compared to last playoffs, but I also think a contributing factor is that it's the same teams in the finals 3 years in a row.

5 Canadian teams making the playoffs help too

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Nashville is running a clinic on the Penguins. This is why an Oilers team without their own Letang will never be a threat, you need blueliners like Letang, Subban, Josi, Giordano, Brodie to eat up 26+ minutes a game for you. Penguins are lucky to not be down 3-0 in this series as Rinne is the only reason for that. And that's with more forward talent than EDM will ever have (Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Guentzal, Sheary, Hagelin, etc)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
apparently Charles Barkley has finally got his wish and will provide insight in the second period intermission :laugh:

He's been bad mouthing the NBA all playoffs

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
apparently Charles Barkley has finally got his wish and will provide insight in the second period intermission :laugh:

He's been bad mouthing the NBA all playoffs

That's awesome! He's probably my favourite sports analyst across all the major sports.
He jumped in on Gretzky's press conference earlier. :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It hasn't been competitive and is boring with all the blowouts.

On air for TNT he said something like "Thank god for the Stanley cup playoffs, that's what I watch in the back instead of these [NBA] blowouts"

Unless you've been a fan of the Cavs or Warriors, this playoffs has been really bad; and now even as a Cavs fan it's getting worse.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
And we don't even have Forsberg.

They're not gonna give him up now that they know they've got the good one.

It hasn't been competitive and is boring with all the blowouts.

On air for TNT he said something like "Thank god for the Stanley cup playoffs, that's what I watch in the back instead of these [NBA] blowouts"

I gotta say, I enjoyed his little interview in the second intermission with Scott Oake haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad