Value of: One of Washington’s goalies (before Expansion draft)

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
So the Caps will only be able to protect one of Samsonov or Vanecek for the expansion draft. I know they’d prefer to keep both, and could very well be able to, depending on what forwards and dmen they expose. But to not take that risk, what would it take for the Sabres to acquire one (they currently don’t have any goalie signed beyond this year)?

Yes, I know there is a value difference between the two goalies. And serious replies only (so no “it’ll take Eichel/Dahlin/Cozens/Quinn/2021 1st”).

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
I keep Samsonov over 4 of your 5 untouchables given Washington in looking to win now.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Are we talking trade now or trade right before ED? Trade now you might get a 2 for Vanacek with teams scrambling for backup goalies.

After the season? It won't be much. Maybe sabres offer a 4 for Vanacek?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Before the Expansion Draft, let’s say the current draft position were to stay put, I’d offer a trade back from the Oilers 1st (23rd OA) to the Caps 1st (27th OA) for Vanacek.

Not sure if that would appeal enough or not? Could sweeten the pot if needed.

Reactions: 780il

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I keep Samsonov over 4 of your 5 untouchables given Washington in looking to win now.

Sorry that I was attempting to eliminate “one of those players for Vanecek” replies.

Obviously I know the two goalies have different values. And the Caps are keeping both for the rest of the season and playoffs. This is what it would cost for the Caps to not lose one for nothing.

But hey, why read and understand context when you can be a dick instead, right?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Are we talking trade now or trade right before ED? Trade now you might get a 2 for Vanacek with teams scrambling for backup goalies.

After the season? It won't be much. Maybe sabres offer a 4 for Vanacek?

Trade after the playoffs are done and before the expansion draft. Basically asking what the cost would be to acquire one so the Caps don’t lose one for nothing. Or a free asset, if you will.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Trade after the playoffs are done and before the expansion draft. Basically asking what the cost would be to acquire one so the Caps don’t lose one for nothing. Or a free asset, if you will.
After the playoffs other than Sabres who need a protectable goalie and willing to give up assets to do so?
If Caps I ask 3 and if Sabres I offer 4. Sabres 2 way too up there to give up.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Are both of the eligible for the ED?

Yes. Otherwise I wouldn’t have made this thread. I could be wrong though, and so would a bunch of Caps writers.

After the playoffs other than Sabres who need a protectable goalie and willing to give up assets to do so?
If Caps I ask 3 and if Sabres I offer 4. Sabres 2 way too up there to give up.

I’d offer a 4th for Vanecek. Or a prospect like Marcus Davidsson.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Yes. Otherwise I wouldn’t have made this thread. I could be wrong though, and so would a bunch of Caps writers.

I’d offer a 4th for Vanecek. Or a prospect like Marcus Davidsson.
4th round pick? I’d rather gamble and keep him. I don’t think we have a good track record with late round picks anyway

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
4th round pick? I’d rather gamble and keep him. I don’t think we have a good track record with late round picks anyway

I get that. I’d feel the same way if I were a Caps fan.

If it helps, the 4th will be the first pick in the round. So it’s not like it’d be closer to the 5th round.

And if it makes you feel better, the Sabres can’t develop any draft picks :laugh::(

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Iirc, the word on the street back in 2017 was that Vegas might nab Grubauer, which of course they didn't. This time around, Washington has enough other interesting pieces that may or may not be available (I've seen names like Oshie or Orlov thrown around, primarily to open up cap space I think) that I could see a similar scenario playing out this time around... This is just speculation on my part, but I have to think they probably value having a guy like Vanecek around as Samsonov has had some trouble staying healthy so far.

Of course, I also feel like this expansion draft is slimmer pickings, goalie wise. There's some interesting UFAs who could be available, but beyond that you're looking at Allen/Talbot/Holtby types or rolling the dice with a younger guy (like Vanecek ;) ) So maybe that makes the Caps a little more open to a deal.... orrrrrrrr they just say "We're gonna lose *somebody*. If we lose Vanecek, we keep other guys. We lose Player X, we keep Vanecek..." (Personally this would be my philosophy)

So all in all.... :dunno:

But just for the hell of discussion, I'd say a 2nd or 3rd would be about fair value for Vanecek. Samsonov probably is still "the guy" so he likely goes no where

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Vanecek hasn’t impressed me much. Protect Sam. You’ll probably get to keep them both. Not sure who you’ll end up losing. But, I don’t think Seattle will take vv over other options.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Front us Hall @ 50% for like Panik and a 1st and we can give you Vanecek at the ED for future (well past) considerations.

Could potentially put you on the short list for Vrana if he becomes a cap casualty as well.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Front us Hall @ 50% for like Panik and a 1st and we can give you Vanecek at the ED for future (well past) considerations.

Could potentially put you on the short list for Vrana if he becomes a cap casualty as well.

Thought about something about Hall, Ullmark (both 50) for Vanecek, Panik, Siege and a first.

They might still fall short on the cap space. Not sure I like this years version of Hall that much either.

Thinking through it again, I dont approve my own offer.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Thought about something about Hall, Ullmark (both 50) for Vanecek, Panik, Siege and a first.

They might still fall short on the cap space. Not sure I like this years version of Hall that much either.

Thinking through it again, I dont approve my own offer.
Yeah, I'm not too sure I like this.

I may be the minority, and I understand Ullmark has been great on a bad team, but I really have no problem with running Sammy and VV. Especially if by some miracle Lundqvist is back.

I just don't see enough value coming back to convince me to use that package listed to get it.

My ideal trade deadline is the same as other Caps fans where we get some goalie insurance and a decent top 9 forward, I'm just not sure that either of these guys make the most sense.

It sucks that the Canucks are in the situation they are because I really would've like a Pearson pickup.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yeah, I'm not too sure I like this.

I may be the minority, and I understand Ullmark has been great on a bad team, but I really have no problem with running Sammy and VV. Especially if by some miracle Lundqvist is back.

I just don't see enough value coming back to convince me to use that package listed to get it.

My ideal trade deadline is the same as other Caps fans where we get some goalie insurance and a decent top 9 forward, I'm just not sure that either of these guys make the most sense.

It sucks that the Canucks are in the situation they are because I really would've like a Pearson pickup.

In a vacuum, as a Caps fan, I rather have Vanecek over Ullmark when we play Pens/Bruins/Islanders in the first round.

The process in my head went that we might be losing Vanecek anyways off-season, and if we are rolling with Sammy VV wont be seeing much of icetime in playoffs. So as a back up, it doesnt matter that much if its VV or Ullmark. But getting Hall in the process might be worth it.

But then again, I dont think I like Hall enough so I hang up to myself :)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
There is value in the Capitals exposing and losing one of them them instead of another player in the expansion draft as well, so any team would have to exceed that. Or whatever value they may have to the Caps going forward if they are not lost to expansion.

So it would be Vanecek + losing Dillon/Jensen (presumably the next best choice for Seattle if WSH goes 7-3-1) for Vanecek's return vs. losing only one of Vanecek/Dillon/Jensen.

I'd probably just do the latter unless they are getting a good 2nd round pick out of Vanecek. One hole to fill instead of two, and there will be some decent backups on the UFA market.

The Instigator

Feb 6, 2010
In a vacuum, as a Caps fan, I rather have Vanecek over Ullmark when we play Pens/Bruins/Islanders in the first round.

The process in my head went that we might be losing Vanecek anyways off-season, and if we are rolling with Sammy VV wont be seeing much of icetime in playoffs. So as a back up, it doesnt matter that much if its VV or Ullmark. But getting Hall in the process might be worth it.

But then again, I dont think I like Hall enough so I hang up to myself :)
Hahaha we'd all might be better off if we hung up on ourselves every once in a while.

If the mindset is that we are losing Vanecek anyways in the off-season, we would be losing Ullmark anyways in the off-season as well.

I think we're in a better spot than you and I probably think we are. Just the Capitals fan mindset haha.

The Instigator

Feb 6, 2010
There is value in the Capitals exposing and losing one of them them instead of another player in the expansion draft as well, so any team would have to exceed that. Or whatever value they may have to the Caps going forward if they are not lost to expansion.

So it would be Vanecek + losing Dillon/Jensen (presumably the next best choice for Seattle if WSH goes 7-3-1) for Vanecek's return vs. losing only one of Vanecek/Dillon/Jensen.

I'd probably just do the latter unless they are getting a good 2nd round pick out of Vanecek. One hole to fill instead of two, and there will be some decent backups on the UFA market.
These are good points. With it being Seattle, we have some other players they'd surely love to add with Dillon having played junior there and Oshie having been born near there.

Even if their contracts may be unappealing I'm sure they'd be happy with either from both a roster and publicity standpoint.

And they would both surely be missed by the Caps likely more than Vanecek.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
So the Caps will only be able to protect one of Samsonov or Vanecek for the expansion draft. I know they’d prefer to keep both, and could very well be able to, depending on what forwards and dmen they expose. But to not take that risk, what would it take for the Sabres to acquire one (they currently don’t have any goalie signed beyond this year)?

Yes, I know there is a value difference between the two goalies. And serious replies only (so no “it’ll take Eichel/Dahlin/Cozens/Quinn/2021 1st”).
Why would Buffalo need a new goalie? Ullmark is 4th in SV% and 7 in GAA in 5on5 this season.

The Instigator

Feb 6, 2010
Why would Buffalo need a new goalie? Ullmark is 4th in SV% and 7 in GAA in 5on5 this season.
I think it's always good to have options. 17 games this year isn't much of a sample size, and who knows if he's even interested in coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad