Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Other beer news

wtf-disbelief.gif

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I've been watching Loki and Lessons in Chemistry. Lessons is a very good miniseries based on a novel by Bonnie Garmus. Brie Larson plays Elizabeth Zott, a master's degree chemist who would've attained her PhD, except for extenuating circumstances. She meets a chemistry professor, who shares the same goal. It tells of being a brilliant woman in the misogynistic mid-50s at first and moves up 7 years later. where she has a daughter and becomes a popular afternoon cooking host who uses chemistry in her cooking. It's only 4 episodes (of 8) in. Watch it on Apple+ or if you don't get it or can't afford it, use Vidicast.

Great show. Episode 3 killed me though. So immensely sad and tragic.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The trick or treating kids better start coming here soon because I have been eating the halloween candy I purchased for them. (I may have been doing this for like the past 4 days.)

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The trick or treating kids better start coming here soon because I have been eating the halloween candy I purchased for them. (I may have been doing this for like the past 4 days.)
Diabetes and your dentist say hi.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Still better than kale.
Tastier yes, but kale is good in a stir fry, with roasted vegetables (added late), in salads, and (I hear) as kale chips; I haven’t yet roasted them that way. When you get my age you’ll pay attention to what you pit into your body. But nothing wrong with a candy bar as a treat occasionally.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Tastier yes, but kale is good in a stir fry, with roasted vegetables (added late), in salads, and (I hear) as kale chips; I haven’t yet roasted them that way. When you get my age you’ll pay attention to what you pit into your body. But nothing wrong with a candy bar as a treat occasionally.
I get the same answer for every one I talk to kale about.

"Oh it is good if you chop it up cook it spice and make it taste nothing like kale!"

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I've been watching Loki and Lessons in Chemistry. Lessons is a very good miniseries based on a novel by Bonnie Garmus. Brie Larson plays Elizabeth Zott, a master's degree chemist who would've attained her PhD, except for extenuating circumstances. She meets a chemistry professor, who shares the same goal. It tells of being a brilliant woman in the misogynistic mid-50s at first and moves up 7 years later. where she has a daughter and becomes a popular afternoon cooking host who uses chemistry in her cooking. It's only 4 episodes (of 8) in. Watch it on Apple+ or if you don't get it or can't afford it, use Vidicast.
I would watch it just to get my fill of Brie Larson. Really easy on the ol' peepers.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Disappointed in the # of kids this year. My neighbourhood is getting younger I think but not many kids.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I get the same answer for every one I talk to kale about.

"Oh it is good if you chop it up cook it spice and make it taste nothing like kale!"
Do you eat hot dogs? They take meat scraps, cook it, and spice it up liberally. It doesn’t taste anything like the crap you started with, which is fortunate.

I did say that it’s good in salads and to sprinkle into a vegetable roast, which we do often.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Disappointed in the # of kids this year. My neighbourhood is getting younger I think but not many kids.
You should have come to my son's place in Summerside. We went over to help out. Handed out candy for one hour between 6:30 and 7:30 until we ran out. Had 8 boxes totalling 850 chocolates, gave out one at a time. Had we started at 5 and finished at 9:00, we could easily have handed out 2-3000 chocolates. They come at you in waves. My wife had to direct traffic up the steps. Looked like a junior version of the Vegas strip.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
You should have come to my son's place in Summerside. We went over to help out. Handed out candy for one hour between 6:30 and 7:30 until we ran out. Had 8 boxes totalling 850 chocolates, gave out one at a time. Had we started at 5 and finished at 9:00, we could easily have handed out 2-3000 chocolates. They come at you in waves. My wife had to direct traffic up the steps. Looked like a junior version of the Vegas strip.
We had zero kids for about three years straight, so just stopped buying candy. Kids all go into town now. They aren't too bright, as they think they will get more stuff as they can hit more houses, but they usually just get one item, like you mentioned, but in our area we used to all give out at least a full chocolate bar, bag of chips, can of pop, and a bunch of candies to every kid. Made it worth their while.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We had zero kids for about three years straight, so just stopped buying candy. Kids all go into town now. They aren't too bright, as they think they will get more stuff as they can hit more houses, but they usually just get one item, like you mentioned, but in our area we used to all give out at least a full chocolate bar, bag of chips, can of pop, and a bunch of candies to every kid. Made it worth their while.
No 2L?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Still better than kale.
Swiss chard is your friend for these climates.

Better than Kale, not the bitter taste of Kale, and Chard can be harvested well into November. Despite the -11 temps are two rows of Swiss chard are still sprouting new shoots underneath the frozen top foliage. Its an amazing plant. It does better when theres snow cover first, and then a deeper freeze. But this year it has no snow to hide and its still putting out. The roots aren't frozen yet and the top layer provides enough cover for brand new tasty shoots. Could be eating chard fresh salad right now. Also guaranteed to have no bugs...

On weekend we made our favorite lasagna. Layers of meat sauce with our homegrown tomatoes peppers and onions in there, A layer of Cooked/chopped swiss chard (so good in lasagna) The meat sauce, cheese, lasagna noodles setoff the layer of swiss chard nicely. Just makes the dish pop, everybody loves ours and its healthier that way.

Stopped counting at 70 kids. we've peaked over 100 at times. But nothing like you describe. yeah those areas have lots of families and kids. We give 3 treats at a time so waxed most of our 380 treats. Fine with me, less temptation to eat em.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kale chips are awesome, but not the easiest thing to make.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Do you eat hot dogs? They take meat scraps, cook it, and spice it up liberally. It doesn’t taste anything like the crap you started with, which is fortunate.

I did say that it’s good in salads and to sprinkle into a vegetable roast, which we do often.

Hot dogs > kale in anything. :nod:

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad