Speculation: One Former Jet

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Heard this on the morning Vancouver Sports radio.
You get one former Jet to play on todays team, who do you pick and why?

My first thought was Hawerchuk. Then went to Kent Nilsson or Bobby Hull.
I ended up with Phil Housley. Fast smooth skating puck moving D man.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Prime Hawerchuk-Scheifele-Dubois would be a ridiculous 1-2-3 at C. Even having Buff wouldn't fix our D (he wasn't exactly a solid, stay-at-home type anyway). Just pin your ears back and go with those three at C.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Housely was kind of a nightmare defensively, though I loved him and I wear number 6 because of him.

I'd go Teppo Numminen. An elite defender for his time, with offensive abilities. Iron man who played 20 seasons in relative health, scored .5 ppg

Might not be the sexy choice though :)

For pure excitement I'd pick Alex Zhamnov. Man that guy was fun to watch.

For what the Jets need today? Dustin Byfuglien. He wasn't the best defender but he had positive psychological impact on the team and elite offensive capabilities.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I thought you were gonna post a Lee Stempniak meme ahaha

That, good sir, is my domain.

1666972048826.png

Not easy to pin down Stemp as a Jet, because the guy seems to have played for every team in the league, and then some.

In terms of the OP's OQ, I'd go with prime Teemu from 1.0, and -- ducking for cover -- Trouba slightly ahead of Toby or Buff from 2.0, since JMo and JT was about as good as it got for a do-it-all 1st pairing D as we've had since I started watching the Jets.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Housely was kind of a nightmare defensively, though I loved him and I wear number 6 because of him.

I'd go Teppo Numminen. An elite defender for his time, with offensive abilities. Iron man who played 20 seasons in relative health, scored .5 ppg

For what the Jets need today? Dustin Byfuglien. He wasn't the best defender but he had positive psychological impact on the team and elite offensive capabilities.
So he would fit right in!

Yes Alex was a really good player and was way faster than most people remember.
I remember Paddock saying the problem he had with Zhamnov was he didn't look like he was trying hard.
Said "I watched the tape, he had a break away and was pulling away from X(? whatever player that was) who just happened to be one of the fastest players in the league, but Alex looked like he was out for a Sunday skate with his wife".

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So he would fit right in!

Yes Alex was a really good player and was way faster than most people remember.
I remember Paddock saying the problem he had with Zhamnov was he didn't look like he was trying hard.
Said "I watched the tape, he had a break away and was pulling away from X(? whatever player that was) who just happened to be on of the fastest players in the league, but Alex looked like he was out for a Sunday skate with his wife".
Those guys with elite skating mechanics just look lazy.
Scheifeles breakaway last night reminded me of that. He honestly liked like he was just skating up the ice at 80% but no one was catching him.

Shocking how his skating improved so much from junior

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I thought of Numminen too. I want him and Buff + Ducky + Selanne + McLean. :laugh: I always forget about Zhamnov for some reason. Lets have him too.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Can’t go wrong with Hawerchuk in his prime. But I would love to see a 32 year old Golden Jet with a modern twig… 130 mph shot lol.

Reactions: RabidOne

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
That depends on whether the option is getting them in their prime or getting them how they are today. :sarcasm:

Irregardless, since no one has chosen him: Lee Stempniak. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad