Ondrej Pavelec V: The Netminder Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
By golly, Pavs is a young goalie with loads of potential. If the Jets get a better defence he would no doubt be an NHL all-star. Is that what this thread is about?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck...anded-5-19-5-million-deal-213332458--nhl.html

So how did a goaltender that's 70-79-25 lifetime with a save percentage last season of .906 land this massive deal, with seemingly little leverage?

As far as term goes, it's what Winnipeg wanted.

Walsh said the Jets were after a deal of four or five years, with Pavelec three years away from unrestricted free agency. "If you're going to put in 'X' amount of dollars for the RFA years, it only makes sense to put UFA years in the deal as well," he said.

As far as money goes, Walsh said that Pavelec's salary will be comparable to other netminders in his age bracket and with his experience, especially ones due contracts this summer or in the near future.

"Let's say Carey Price is at 7 years and $6 million a year. Devan Dubnyk's going to hit $3 million. Tuukka Rask is going to hit $3 million. Cory Schneider is going to hit $3 million. There's a new wave of goalies taking over No. 1 starting jobs in the NHL from the older guard. Between those goalies, statistically and in experience at a No. 1 goalie, Pavs should be slotted under Price," said Walsh.

"The question was how far he should be slotted under Price; but he should be slotted ahead of Dubnyk, Schneider and Rask. That's the essence of the negotiation."

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Let us pray ...

South-Park-Eric-Cartman.jpg

Lord, wouldst thou blesseth all Jet fans with a simple buy out?

All we want is to see Ondrej Pavelec boughteth out. If thou could add a commandment about future bad contracts, that wouldst also be appreciated.

If thou doest rid us of this seive, we shall all pray before every game and do good deeds all day long.

Amen.

smileys-praying-623819.gif
praying-to-god-smiley-emoticon.gif
praying-emoticon.gif
praying.gif
smileys-praying-554778.gif

Derfel*

Fantastic. Now he gets to prove himself. I'm glad they didn't buy him out.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do you think other GM's are laughing at the Jets mgmt?

I am... in between bouts of crying and anger.

Surely they must be. The case for buyout was compelling. There simply was no other rational option.

I interpreted Maurice's interview as saying there is no leash. He is known for riding his starting goaltender. He has declared he is going with the Goat-Lender and any goals that are scored are the fault of all the rest of the team. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Fantastic. Now he gets to prove himself. I'm glad they didn't buy him out.

I'm glad too. We need the 70 game workhorse. I just hope Mo rides him all night long. :laugh: None of this BS half the season crap like firing Noel in the middle. Go all in. All or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad