On the rise: Backstrom. Falling: Frolik?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I live in NY, so all I've been able to get as far as WJC coverage has been box scores and recaps.

From what I've seen it looks like Backstrom's stock is rising, and Frolik's is plummeting.

Frolik has been pretty much in absentia. How does he look aside from his noticeable absense on the scorecard?

Is Backstrom playing extremely well or is he profiting from playing with Bergfors? :yo: (Lil Devils homer in me coming out)

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
MeffyuhTJRest said:
Is Backstrom playing extremely well or is he profiting from playing with Bergfors? :yo: (Lil Devils homer in me coming out)

Well, Bäckström is from time to time being dominant in the Swedish Elite League this season, where the level of play/competition is obviously much tougher than in the WJC. A first line player in a top pro league should do okay in the WJC, so no big surprise.

As for Bäckström-Bergfors, they make a great pair with Bäckström being a very good playmaker and Bergfors the finisher (although Bäckström so far has more goals :)).

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Frolik is not at the level of Kessel or even Toews. I've never considered him to be all that great. It's still early in the tournament and he might pick up the pace but he's still not a game breaker.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Le Golie said:
Frolik is not at the level of Kessel or even Toews. I've never considered him to be all that great. It's still early in the tournament and he might pick up the pace but he's still not a game breaker.

Agree. Frolik has the skills but does he put them together to make a difference like Toews or Kessel, NO!

SChan*

MeffyuhTJRest said:

He is playing extremley well, but that's what I expect out of him since he is a first liner in SEL already.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
MeffyuhTJRest said:
I live in NY, so all I've been able to get as far as WJC coverage has been box scores and recaps. From what I've seen it looks like Backstrom's stock is rising, and Frolik's is plummeting. Frolik has been pretty much in absentia. How does he look aside from his noticeable absense on the scorecard?

Frolik has really been fighting the puck during the tournament. Too bad, because this is really a neat showcase opportunity for him with Toews (CDA) and Kessel (USA) also here. Frolik, playing in Kladno back home, remains a bit of a mystery...

I spoke with him after the exhibition game against Canada, where he seemed more comfortable on the ice. He does not speak much English, but he was very insistant, very positive in his assessment of how he enjoys the smaller ice surfaces over here. He indicated the speed of th egmae does not pose any major concerns for him, rather, he likes it faster.

While he hasn't scored yet, it is evident he's a terrific skater...seems to play with good anticpiation. He hasn't seen much time on the power play, though. (A couple times last night against Slovakia, where he did seem to be able to slow the play down a bit for his team mates.)

For Sweden, Backstrom is benefitting from Bergfors, because the opposition is paying more attention to Bergfors...more open ice for Backstrom. Salmonsson, who plays in the WHL, has arguably been Sweden's best forward. Much more physical than the typical Swedish player, and he's got tremendous reach...great size.

G. Erickson
HF Staff
@ WJC in Kelowna

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I still like Frolik because he reminds me alot of Pat Elias but I have to agree that he's fallen a bit. IMO there still isn't a true #1 this draft and this tourny would have been a great showcase for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad