On Pace for Most Players PPG in Last 10 Years

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Doubtful that a league with two teams having a chance to win it all has the best Commissioner.

NBA's commissioner may be the best at grossing the most money over time (increasing revenues) but Bettman has grown the game further than any sport's commissioner ever has. And it is much much better for it.

Are you an NBA fan? Cause I am both a basketball & hockey fan. And the NBA has become a lot more fun to follow than it was when he took over, that's why it's making the crazy money now.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Are you an NBA fan? Cause I am both a basketball & hockey fan. And the NBA has become a lot more fun to follow than it was when he took over, that's why it's making the crazy money now.
I dont disagree it is a fun game but parity is a major part in sports IMO and the NBA is in a bad state with that. Also the playstyle of the league is supporting these super teams and thats why its happening. Tighten the salary cap and grow the defensive game a bit.

It is booming but I think its in a bad place right now with GS forcing teams to stack up. Itll eventually lead to a great product but NBA fans better hope there is enough talent coming up to support it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I dont disagree it is a fun game but parity is a major part in sports IMO and the NBA is in a bad state with that. Also the playstyle of the league is supporting these super teams and thats why its happening. Tighten the salary cap and grow the defensive game a bit.

It is booming but I think its in a bad place right now with GS forcing teams to stack up. Itll eventually lead to a great product but NBA fans better hope there is enough talent coming up to support it.

This is a culture difference because I ‘d rather watch excellence/greatness than parity. I could care less if the worst teams in the league are mediocre or terrible if the best teams are more exciting to watch. It sucks as a Knicks fan that we have no shot unless this new top pick can turn the team into a destination club with porzi, but it’s still more fun for the league as a whole and as long as the knicks have a fun young team with a plan that they are committed to, I don’t care if they’re going to win it all or not. Especially since the NBA being a more star driven league is always going to have less parity than a sport that places more emphasis on depth, like hockey.

Nevermind that the Parity league has had what, 3 different cup winners in the last 10 Years?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
goaltending completely changed under his watch in both style and the athleticism of the people playing the position. Is that on Bettman too?

No but it's no coincidence that PPs go down and so does scoring. And low and behold in 05/06 PPs go up after the lockout and so does scoring. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that if you call more PPs you'll get higher scoring. That falls entirely on the league for letting it happen. Which Bettman is the face of. If he gets the praise then he gets the criticism too.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Perhaps it was a process? The game is far smarter defensively since that happened and now can begin to improve offensively.

Bettman has done wonders.

Yeah I'm sure the guy that has probably never played hockey a day in his life before taking over as comish mastermind a process to make the league better defensively. I think the f*** not.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Yeah I'm sure the guy that has probably never played hockey a day in his life before taking over as comish mastermind a process to make the league better defensively. I think the **** not.
So what do you say about coaches and GMs who never played? Hockey analysts who never played? Do they all know nothing?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So what do you say about coaches and GMs who never played? Hockey analysts who never played? Do they all know nothing?

Not sure where you're going with this but to make my point stronger. I do not think hat Gary Bettman had the intentions of building a solid defensive foundation for the league before transitioning to a more offensive league. Why would anyone go through decades of fans complaining about low scoring to do that? Also I don't think clutch and grab is making anyone better at defending. It's just not calling the game by the rules. Which falls entirely on Bettman and the rest of the BOG for not cracking down sooner, especially after the 05/06 season when they had actually gotten it right for once.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No but it's no coincidence that PPs go down and so does scoring. And low and behold in 05/06 PPs go up after the lockout and so does scoring. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that if you call more PPs you'll get higher scoring. That falls entirely on the league for letting it happen. Which Bettman is the face of. If he gets the praise then he gets the criticism too.

no it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that more PPs = more scoring.

But do you want to watch hockey with nothing other than traded power plays? I remember 05 / 06 well and the extent of the PPs made the game weird.

A means to an end I get. Call more and the players adjust and 05 / 06 was a transition year from pre lockout to post lockout hockey.

All that notwithstanding goaltending is far better today across the board than when Bettman came in.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
no it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that more PPs = more scoring.

But do you want to watch hockey with nothing other than traded power plays? I remember 05 / 06 well and the extent of the PPs made the game weird.

A means to an end I get. Call more and the players adjust and 05 / 06 was a transition year from pre lockout to post lockout hockey.

All that notwithstanding goaltending is far better today across the board than when Bettman came in.

Did you like the 80s or was that weird too?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
the 80s was better shooters than goalies...it wasn' a game of 5 on4

It actually had the highest PP opportunities of any decade in the history of the game. If 05/06 was weird, the 80's were about as wacky as it gets.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It actually had the highest PP opportunities of any decade in the history of the game. If 05/06 was weird, the 80's were about as wacky as it gets.

so I was going off memory and my recollection of the game I looked up the stats. 05 / 06 is the highest in history in terms of pp opportunities.

Top 10 seasons all time

3 in the 80s
5 in the 90s
2 in the 00s

05 / 06 was the largest increase yeay over year in the history of hockey so ya it was weird.

fyi....There's this thing called google....occasionally i check in there to verify that how I remember things is correct. in this instance, I checked in there after you bringing up the 80s.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
so I was going off memory and my recollection of the game I looked up the stats. 05 / 06 is the highest in history in terms of pp opportunities.

Top 10 seasons all time

3 in the 80s
5 in the 90s
2 in the 00s

05 / 06 was the largest increase yeay over year in the history of hockey so ya it was weird.

fyi....There's this thing called google....occasionally i check in there to verify that how I remember things is correct. in this instance, I checked in there after you bringing up the 80s.

80's also has 6 of the top 10 in terms of PP goals.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
80's also has 6 of the top 10 in terms of PP goals.

which speaks to weaker goaltending which speaks to my original point that Bettman has presided over the improvement in the goaltending position.

it's ok. you can admit you are wrong

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
which speaks to weaker goaltending which speaks to my original point that Bettman has presided over the improvement in the goaltending position.

it's ok. you can admit you are wrong

Yeah because Bettman taught all the goaltenders how to be better. So not only did he mastermind defensive hockey and teach that to everyone he also taught all the goalies how to be better. This guy is a God. Probably his 2nd and 3rd best contributions to humanity right after him inventing fire.

You realize you are trying to attribute things to Bettman that he has virtually no control over right? Bettman was alive when the Berlin wall fell to. He must have helped in the collapse of the soviet union as well eh?

Bettman and the league have full control over what gets called and what doesn't. They decided that slashing needed to be called more and it has and lookie lookie scoring goes up.

It's okay to admit you have no idea what you are trying to prove to me.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah because Bettman taught all the goaltenders how to be better. So not only did he mastermind defensive hockey he also taught all the goalies how to be better. This guy is a God.

You realise you are trying to atribute things to Bettman that he has virtually no control over right? Bettman was alive when the Berlin wall fell to. He must have helped in the collapse of the soviet union as well eh?

now you're just talking crazy shit.

all I said initially was that Bettman presided over a strengthening of he goaltending position. I think it is beyond debatable that goaltending has gotten better in the last 25 years. But that has nothing to do with Bettman. ... it's merely a coincidence that he's the commish.

as I said. .. it's ok to admit you're wrong

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
now you're just talking crazy ****.

all I said initially was that Bettman presided over a strengthening of he goaltending position. I think it is beyond debatable that goaltending has gotten better in the last 25 years. But that has nothing to do with Bettman. ... it's merely a coincidence that he's the commish.

as I said. .. it's ok to admit you're wrong

So what exactly am I wrong about? My point was that more Pp's leads to higher scoring and that it is Bettman's fault that the league has had some of the lowest PP oppourtunities in it's histroy lately. Or did you not look at the other end of the spectrum? Where the top 3 lowest PP opps seasons were from the last 3 years. Bettman has no way of controlling goalies or shooters getting better or worse. He can however determine the direction of the league, which includes what the refs do or don't call.

It really is okay to admit you have no idea what you are trying to prove to me.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So what exactly am I wrong about? My point was that more Pp's leads to higher scoring and that it is Bettman's fault that the league has had some of the lowest PP oppourtunities in it's histroy lately. Or did you not look at the other end of the spectrum? Where the top 3 lowest PP opps seasons were from the last 3 years. Bettman has no way of controlling goalies or shooters getting better or worse. He can however determine the direction of the league, which includes what the refs do or don't call.

It really is okay to admit you have no idea what you are trying to prove to me.

go back and read what I originally responded to

and then try to tell me that goaltending is not way better than it was 25 years ago.

anyway...I'm done with this discussion. ..it's not debatable

good night

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Extremely misleading stat considering 05/06 had by far the highest PP opportunities of any year in NHL history.

So if 05/06 was weird because of all the PP's, the 80's were way less weird.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Extremely misleading stat considering 05/06 had by far the highest PP opportunities of any year in NHL history.

So if 05/06 was weird because of all the PP's, the 80's were way less weird.

They were higher on average. If you complain about any time being a PP fest then the 80's must have been the worst era of hockey to watch.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
go back and read what I originally responded to

and then try to tell me that goaltending is not way better than it was 25 years ago.

anyway...I'm done with this discussion. ..it's not debatable

good night

Tell me where I said goaltending isn't better today then it was 25 years ago.

It's okay to go to sleep when you realize you don't know what kind of point you are trying to make.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
They were higher on average. If you complain about any time being a PP fest then the 80's must have been the worst era of hockey to watch.
No, because 05/06 had way more PP's than any year in the 80's. I'm really not sure how you don't understand this. No one is saying the 00's had too many PP's, just 05/06.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad