OT: Olympics Talk

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Czech wins in OT with 35 seconds left in OT. Just when I thought Nishikin was having a quiet game, he goes to make a pass in OT that is blocked and gives up possession. Then a really bad slash call by the ref. Nishikin made a strong stick play. Czech player lost control of his stick and it popped him in the mouth. The Czech Republic guy acted like he was shot by his own stick, and the ref made the call. Ref didn’t make the call until the Czech guy fell.

either way Czech scored on that PP to win. At least Czech won. Too bad it was on a bad call on a Canes prospect.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Beat the Russians, get to Quarterfinals and it’s an average tournament…

We managed to overcome Swiss and Russians, yet I am still… SOUR.
WHAT THE FU^K AM I SUPPOSED TO FEEL WHEN I KNOW THIS IS JUST GIVING ME FALSE HOPE, YET I WISH TO BELIEVE IN OUR UNLIKABLE COACHING STAFF, WHILE WE HAVE THOSE GLORIOUS TRADITIONAL JERSEYS ON.

Reactions: DaveG and Porvari

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Im the last guy to cry a river for Russia but the major penalty was pretty weak. Czech capitalizing so far with 2 goals so that is good. This Kreji guy is old but he looks like he could play in the NHL.
Currently playing for Team Vengeance in Czech Extraliga.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This is non-hockey related, but the Valieva story might be the saddest story that I've heard in sports in a very long time. The utter gall that it takes for grown adults to give PEDs to a 15 year old child, almost certainly without her knowledge. That skating program needs to be sanctioned and its coaches never allowed to coach figure skating ever again.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
This is non-hockey related, but the Valieva story might be the saddest story that I've heard in sports in a very long time. The utter gall that it takes for grown adults to give PEDs to a 15 year old child, almost certainly without her knowledge. That skating program needs to be sanctioned and its coaches never allowed to coach figure skating ever again.

Hooray for oligarchies

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

I’m not a fan of all the assumptions being made that this was intentional.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I’m not a fan of all the assumptions being made that this was intentional.
How does a 15 year old accidentally on her own take PEDs? Either she was deliberately given them, or she was put in a position where it was possible to take them accidentally.

But honestly, Russia has 100k troops ready to roll into Ukraine. Get it over with, and then get them all out of the f***ing Olympics.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Watching hockey highlights. The Swedes win over Slovakia. The first two goals of the game courtesy of our good friend Joakim Nordstrom and Lucas Walmark

Reactions: cptjeff

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
How does a 15 year old accidentally on her own take PEDs? Either she was deliberately given them, or she was put in a position where it was possible to take them accidentally.

But honestly, Russia has 100k troops ready to roll into Ukraine. Get it over with, and then get them all out of the f***ing Olympics.

No offense but who wins in pushing the ROC out of the games? All making them leave will do is punish the athletes. Their Government doesn't get anything out of this, so making them leave will crush the dreams of their athletes and nothing else.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
No offense but who wins in pushing the ROC out of the games? All making them leave will do is punish the athletes. Their Government doesn't get anything out of this, so making them leave will crush the dreams of their athletes and nothing else.
Russia will just act as martyr.

They have this dichotomy where they’re the greatest since ever until forever, but everyone bullies them. So they have to be shown their peaceful ways by force.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Explain to me how keeping the ROC out of the Olympics hurts Putin and his government
That's not my job. And honestly, I kinda don't give a shit about Russians and their sports and their problems. I'm more focused on the Ukrainian barbers and accountants and housewives and programmers like my friends Andrei and Sergey who are now training to fight with AK-47s out of their f***ing basements.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
That's not my job. And honestly, I kinda don't give a shit about Russians and their sports and their problems. I'm more focused on the Ukrainian barbers and accountants and housewives and programmers like my friends Andrei and Sergey who are now training to fight with AK-47s out of their f***ing basements.

I get that I never said a thing that should make anyone think I'm not sympathetic to the shit those stuck in the middle of this are going through. My comment was face value, you want to punish innocent athletes for something their government is doing, a government they don't have a choice in, and it wont hurt that government one bit. So why do it?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I get that I never said a thing that should make anyone think I'm not sympathetic to the shit those stuck in the middle of this are going through. My comment was face value, you want to punish innocent athletes for something their government is doing, a government they don't have a choice in, and it wont hurt that government one bit. So why do it?

Okay. I'm not gonna debate you. Feel your feels and I'll feel mine.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Explain to me how keeping the ROC out of the Olympics hurts Putin and his government
Bread and Circuses. Take enough of them away and the population gets restless. They are not and won't ever be again a regime like the Hermit Kingdom; Putin's power, like most dictators, is dependant on enough people not caring if they vote as long as they are not suffering. You remove enough of the distractions and they start to realize their suffering.

And the other side of the coin is what does it say to all the other athletes of the world who don't cheat if you do just turn your head the other way? The actions of restricting the athletes of the ROC aren't just directed at making a statement to them, Putin and Russia.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Bread and Circuses. Take enough of them away and the population gets restless. They are not and won't ever be again a regime like the Hermit Kingdom; Putin's power, like most dictators, is dependant on enough people not caring if they vote as long as they are not suffering. You remove enough of the distractions and they start to realize their suffering.

And the other side of the coin is what does it say to all the other athletes of the world who don't cheat if you do just turn your head the other way? The actions of restricting the athletes of the ROC aren't just directed at making a statement to them, Putin and Russia.

You don't turn a blind eye to the cheating and they didn't. You strip the medal and place sanctions on coaches and staff involved. Would it make sense to ban the Bruins and make them forfeit games because of Marchand?

As for the political stuff, you are right I guess but I just find the idea of punishing a large group for the actions of the few wrong.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You don't turn a blind eye to the cheating and they didn't. You strip the medal and place sanctions on coaches and staff involved. Would it make sense to ban the Bruins and make them forfeit games because of Marchand?

As for the political stuff, you are right I guess but I just find the idea of punishing a large group for the actions of the few wrong.

You want to talk about punishing a large group for the actions of a few?

The few would be Putin and his oligarchs.

The many would be the Ukrainians who have been fighting a war against him for 7 years that may be about to get way f***ing worse.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

When athletes start defecting so they can participate in the future Olympics, Putin and the government will feel it.

For instance, if Svech has to choose between remaining a Russian citizen or changing citizenship to the US or Canada to play Olympic hockey in Milan, that defection will hurt.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I get that. I don't relish the idea either. At some point, though, there is guilt by association if you know the past actions of a group and continue to maintain a relationship with the group for personal benefit when you know the group still has not repented for those past actions. A lot of the Russian athletes that are skilled enough to make their Olympic teams have the resources to emigrate and play for other nations if they choose to....make them choose to.

Reactions: cptjeff and Chrispy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A lot of the Russian athletes that are skilled enough to make their Olympic teams have the resources to emigrate and play for other nations if they choose to....make them choose to.
An athlete's career lasts maybe three Olympic Games, and being the very best takes years of very nit-picky fine-tuning... it's unreasonable to require that someone effectively forfeits the chance for the top by giving the handicap of going through emigrating AND not to get represent their own country and culture because the regime that's currently on the throne.

A cross-country skier for example... there's not too many countries that put in the resources into the maintenance setup etc. to be on the very top of the sport, and those countries have their own fierce internal competition on who gets to represent in the Olympics.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
When athletes start defecting so they can participate in the future Olympics, Putin and the government will feel it.

For instance, if Svech has to choose between remaining a Russian citizen or changing citizenship to the US or Canada to play Olympic hockey in Milan, that defection will hurt.

If Russia invades Ukraine and the world gets its war on, I personally will care about hockey, all hockey, a lot less.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

It will also hurt the American/Canadian boy who doesn't get to dress the national jersey because of some Russkie brat and the politics.

It's not for nothing why they ask to keep the politics and sports separated even though they never will. You gotta try.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad