Great Britain: Olympic Qualifiers (Latvia)

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Reads like a Canadian commentator doing soccer
1st it takes them 15 minutes to get the ball down field and then the goalie picks it up and kicks it all the way back! Don't touch an opposing player or he'll flop around like a freshly landed fish on a wharf.
Ignorance is universal
Although watching a BLACK object on a WHITE surface???

Last edited:

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme

This is so awesome, I'm gonna bash this Asian hockey expert!

When it [hockey puck] is not zipping across the rink like a photon leaping at superluminal velocity from the violent fission of a radioactive nucleus, it is lost in a whirr of flailing limbs and flying sticks, obscured by large angry men, padded and wadded as if carrying out essential maintenance work to the sun.

He proves, that he understands sunlight process regarding photons, but I wouldn't call exactly appropriate to draw analogies between a puck and a photon just to boast with your very high intelligence and poetic thinking!

Perhaps they were being distracted by the frequent blasts of funfair music that accompanied any break in play.

Hockey music, moron, it's been played around the world, in almost every single arena, they're used to the crap, professionals are not distracted by noise. They do the same thing in Canada. You know, the place where hockey is like a religion?

Unfortunately, despite its ostensibly tantalising purport, “penalty to GB†meant it was Britain being penalised.

Ah, yes, football chauvinism. You know there are other sports beside football or should I call it soccer (he he he)?

Then Britain scored. It happened as abruptly as that. Such is the blinding speed of the game that the naked eye is often ill-equipped to keep pace.

Well, sorry, that they don't play slower just so that you can enjoy the game with a cup of tea and few months old cookies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Shrimper & 99 probs you guys should go coach teams. Focus on hockey during practice and bring the kids to community skating and work their legs twice a week lol

I can't even skate ha! How are people going to learn from me. :laugh:

On the topic of rinks though. There used to be a rink in the High Street in the winter in Southend but they got rid of that. Used to be quite busy as well, shame.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I can't even skate ha! How are people going to learn from me. :laugh:

On the topic of rinks though. There used to be a rink in the High Street in the winter in Southend but they got rid of that. Used to be quite busy as well, shame.

Those pop up everywhere during christmas, they're usually just terrible plastic prosthetic ice

now the tournament is finished we should probably take the rinks discussion to the Hockey in GB thread

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
hmmm seemed like he was trying so hard to sound smart that he didn't realize how stupid his article was... What did that accomplish lol did he expect to be met with praise?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
How he won an award as a journalist is baffling.

It's not that hard to keep an eye on the puck :laugh:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I got a reply from him :laugh:

He tweeted "Live-blogging Liverpool v West Brom, and I can't do it without your help! (Obviously I can, I'm not an imbecile)"

So I replied "that's debatable"

And his response was:

tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif

:biglaugh:

Is this guy seriously a paid professional journalist?

ukyote

User, Interrupted
Dec 19, 2005
London, England
He will have got a real kick out of all the negative responses.... priceless, yet free publicity for a young journalist, and having only riled up a tiny minority of people at that. It's a bit of an own goal by the UK hockey community, who have now made themselves targets for future blogs...

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
He will have got a real kick out of all the negative responses.... priceless, yet free publicity for a young journalist, and having only riled up a tiny minority of people at that. It's a bit of an own goal by the UK hockey community, who have now made themselves targets for future blogs...

I think it's all thoroughly deserved. Even when people make coherent and non-aggresive arguments he replies with things like "your mum"

Dave Simms nicely offered to take him to a game and explain the rules but even that got a childish response.

From what I've heard, his football articles are a bit of a joke too.

If he was not an idiot and his article had not been so ridiculous and childishly written then people might have actually agreed with him, lots of people dislike Dave Simms, the coverage was not that good for appealing to new fans.

Last edited:

ukyote

User, Interrupted
Dec 19, 2005
London, England
I think it's all thoroughly deserved. Even when people make coherent and non-aggresive arguments he replies with things like "your mum"

Dave Simms nicely offered to take him to a game and explain the rules but even that got a childish response.

From what I've heard, his football articles are a bit of a joke too.

If his article had not been so ridiculous and childishly written then people might have actually agreed with him, lots of people dislike Dave Simms, the coverage was not that good for appealing to new fans.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you that the guy is a clown (and I agree with most of the abuse)... but on balance might this not incite similar piss-taking in the press? That definitely isn't what's needed, given the lack of independent thought in this country. It could also have put off potential new fans who were unimpressed with the name calling etc.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you that the guy is a clown (and I agree with most of the abuse)... but on balance might this not incite similar piss-taking in the press? That definitely isn't what's needed, given the lack of independent thought in this country. It could also have put off potential new fans who were unimpressed with the name calling etc.

I doubt it would incite similar piss taking, there aren't many professional journalists anywhere near the maturity level of this guy. If anything put off new fans it was his article.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad