Confirmed with Link: Olli Maatta 1 year deal

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Seeing now that Maatta's signing isn't official and hasn't been officially announced. Is something a miss here?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't love adding him other than that he is cheap and only 1 year. He is soft and injured a lot.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Hahahaha well at least we finally got something out of the Qunicey deal.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Hahahaha well at least we finally got something out of the Qunicey deal.
I was thinking of that earlier. I remember when everyone was upset that the first we traded could have been him.

It only took a decade.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I was just thinkin how we could use 2 or 3 more players with umlauts. I think we're at the quota now.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
yea i dont think this one is actually official yet.
players in all their availabilities yesterday never mentioned him and the wings website doesnt have anything about him on there, either.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The signing is fine, but in the end, given that it's a 1-year deal, it probably won't Maatta.
1657804848915.png

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So we did get our Quincey 1st back.?

And tanked these years without a better player to get Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson, Kasper.

How meaningless that collapse for people on those days was...

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Didn’t even know he was still playing. Why did I think he was like 40? Another mentor on the blue line though. I’m okay with it.
What would your thoughts be on the potential of a Rangers-Wings trade next off season involving trouba. Good player but rangers will be in a cap crunch with the young guys having to be re-upped

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
What would your thoughts be on the potential of a Rangers-Wings trade next off season involving trouba. Good player but rangers will be in a cap crunch with the young guys having to be re-upped
That ship sailed ~3 seasons ago, right after we drafted Seider.

Perhaps you're unfamiliar with our prospect pipeline, it's a top 1-5, general consensus. We're especially stacked on D prospects, though RD not as much. We already have Seider-Hronek-Lindstrom-Pysyk RD in DET now.

Trouba's contract+age mean we're not good trade partners. Now if Rangers retained 50%, then possibly, but we wouldn't be a team to pay a premium for said retainer as we have gobs of capspace for the forseeable 3yrs+. In other words, NYR would have to eat 50% or sell so low on Jacob, neither would be appealing...bad trade partners.

Last edited:

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
That ship sailed ~3 seasons ago, right after we drafted Seider.

Perhaps you're unfamiliar with our prospect pipeline, it's a top 1-5, general consensus. We're especially stacked on D prospects, though RD not as much.

Trouba's contract+age mean we're not good trade partners. Now if Rangers retained 50%, then possibly, but we wouldn't be a team to pay a premium for said retainer as we have gobs of capspace for the forseeable 3yrs+. In other words, NYR would have to eat 50% or sell so low on Jacob, neither would be appealing...bad trade partners.
I just mention detroit because trouba would have to lift his last year of NMC for us to move him after this upcoming season and hes a hometown kid who would probably have no issue going home. I know you guys have a tons of cap space + him being a hometown kid is why detroit came to mind. Dont know if itd work out but imo drury and yzerman will at least talk about this.

Rangers loaded at RHD but not LHD, so if this were to work out prob something like trouba 25% retained for an OK LHD prospect or lower bottom 6 NHLer who prob isnt in your future plans

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I just mention detroit because trouba would have to lift his last year of NMC for us to move him after this upcoming season and hes a hometown kid who would probably have no issue going home. I know you guys have a tons of cap space + him being a hometown kid is why detroit came to mind. Dont know if itd work out but imo drury and yzerman will at least talk about this
yeah, our fanbase hears about practically every Michigan native & it becomes a "potential storyline to watch" from our media's pov. Personally it matters not to me. Our whole team could be from Yekaterinburg, Siberia (we found Datsyuk there) for all I care. I actually prefer an Intl. team, good mix of 50-60% Euros/Russians + 40-50% NA's.

On 2nd thought, we might do a 1:1 Hronek for Trouba (50%), which considering his age (3yrs.&10m older) seems apropos. NYR gets the younger PMD/offensive RD. DET gets the older vet Def.Dman ww/.size & grit.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
But why would you mention this?

Because Yekaterinburg is not in Siberia. :cheers:

Regarding the "MI native" thing, that's just how it goes - the local kid usually is a little easier "marketable", and teams like it. That's not a problem, if you take the local kid rather than equally talented prospects, or if you market the local guy on your NHL team a little more than other players performing on the same level.

It becomes a problem if you spend picks on kids just because of their last name (hello Mr. Draper) or if players get paid too much because they are "hometown boys" (Abby). That's just bad management.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

Lol, 98% of the Wings fans on this board wanted Trouba at all costs at the time. Funny how quickly things change for most people.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of Trouba and Kadri ... I truly wish the Red wings had some players that other teams absolutely hate. Just a general opinion ... not advocating to go get either one. I'd rather have Trouba than Klingberg.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Lol, 98% of the Wings fans on this board wanted Trouba at all costs at the time. Funny how quickly things change for most people.

If you flashback to 2019 when the trade was made...yeah of course the fan base wanted Trouba. Trouba has been quite good for the Rangers. Here's the names of the defensemen we rolled into 2019-20 with sorted by total TOI (showing ATOI for role):

Filip Hronek 23:54
Patrik Nemeth 22:02
Mike Green 21:04
Madison Bowey 17:54
Alex Biega 16:25
Dennis Cholowski 19:13
Trevor Daley 15:39
Gustav Lindstrom 16:32
Jonathan Ericsson 14:15
Dylan McIlrath 14:49
Danny Dekeyser 22:04
Brian Lashoff 14:33
Joe Hicketts 18:17
Cody Goloubef 15:11

We hadn't even drafted Seider yet, and when we did a week or two later, people were confused as all hell as to what they were doing.

So yeah...imagine thinking people were irrational in their desire to bring in Trouba...

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
If you flashback to 2019 when the trade was made...yeah of course the fan base wanted Trouba. Trouba has been quite good for the Rangers. Here's the names of the defensemen we rolled into 2019-20 with sorted by total TOI (showing ATOI for role):

Filip Hronek 23:54
Patrik Nemeth 22:02
Mike Green 21:04
Madison Bowey 17:54
Alex Biega 16:25
Dennis Cholowski 19:13
Trevor Daley 15:39
Gustav Lindstrom 16:32
Jonathan Ericsson 14:15
Dylan McIlrath 14:49
Danny Dekeyser 22:04
Brian Lashoff 14:33
Joe Hicketts 18:17
Cody Goloubef 15:11

We hadn't even drafted Seider yet, and when we did a week or two later, people were confused as all hell as to what they were doing.

So yeah...imagine thinking people were irrational in their desire to bring in Trouba...

It was an irrational idea because we needed to rebuild and draft high. People didn't like that concept and thought signing free agents was the way to move the team forward. Your list just further proves how rediculous it would have been to sign a big free agent like Trouba instead of seeking high draft positioning.

Everything would look different today. Trouba would have probably put us a couple spots higher on his own missing out on Raymond and Edvinsson for sure. Very likely even led to a couple other free agents being signed that would have even made us a stronger bad team and lost a couple more draft positioning spots.

Being someone who watched atleast 60% of Winnipegs games for a good 2-3 year stretch at the time, Trouba wasn't a guy I would like to see locked up at 8 mill in hopes to be a #1 D. He was never a top defender in Winnipeg. Definitly someone you could have as your 2-3 guy but not an answer as a #1 defender like 95% of Detroit fans led themselves to believe. Good player, but not the #1 Detroit needed anyway.

It would have been a bad choice for Detroit, no doubt in my mind then and nobody is going to make me feel differently now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad