Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
What does that have to do with anything.

Well, the team is absolutely horrendous. Hasn't it been pretty much the worst team in the league for the last 2 years? Not surprisingly, some fan's comments on this forum parallel this abysmal mood/tone. Starting to see the connection?

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016
Now he's a turd?

Come on guys, at one time this place was better then this.

Where did I call him a turd? Seems like you are just looking for things to be outraged about.

But we can't say he ISN'T a turd yet. We have to wait and see.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Where did I call him a turd? Seems like you are just looking for things to be outraged about.

But we can't say he ISN'T a turd yet. We have to wait and see.

You used a common saying to express an idea that triggered someone as they took it literally.

To me, he's much more comparable to a Turd Sandwhich.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
there is a weird insistence here that you have to use a high draft pick to draft a dman who will make the league quickly. this in turn requires that high draft pick dmen must be athletes who physically mature early so they can play with men before they are 20.

biturbo did us a service by demonstrating that this is not the dominant profile of successful top pair nhl defencemen. that's not surprising. there is absolutely no reason i can think of to correlate early physical maturity with top pair success as an nhl defenceman. there is, on the other hand, every reason to expect that with a year 18 draft the majority of dmen prospects drafted early will be athletes who have physically matured early based on the crudeness of historic nhl drafting patterns.

so basically you are all relying on a false correlation. in an efficient draft market, duncan keith should go in the top 5.

at which point the modern analytics educated nhl fan should ignore the stats generated by the dinosaur gms drafting jared cowens in the top 10 and instead we should be debating whether it's possible to identify later maturing prospects who will thrive as nhl defencemen and, if you do spot them, when do you draft them?

the first question is hard to answer and worthy of debate. i've made the case for juolevi potentially fitting this mold but obviously i could be wrong.

the second question is easy: you draft them based on your assessment of market value. in juolevi's case he was widely considered a top 10 pick, so we did not have the option of waiting for the late second round.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
there is a weird insistence here that you have to use a high draft pick to draft a dman who will make the league quickly. this in turn requires that high draft pick dmen must be athletes who physically mature early so they can play with men before they are 20.

biturbo did us a service by demonstrating that this is not the dominant profile of successful top pair nhl defencemen. that's not surprising. there is absolutely no reason i can think of to correlate early physical maturity with success as an nhl defenceman. there is, on the other hand, every reason to expect that with a year 18 draft the majority of dmen prospects drafted early will be athletes who have physically matured early based on the crudeness of historic nhl drafting patterns.

so basically you are all relying on a false correlation. in an efficient draft market, duncan keith should go in the top 5.

at which point the modern analytics educated nhl fan should ignore the stats generated by the dinosaur gms drafting jared cowens in the top 10 and instead we should be debating whether it's possible to identify later maturing prospects who will thrive as nhl defencemen and, if you do spot them, when do you draft them?

the first question is hard to answer and worthy of debate. i've made the case for juolevi potentially fitting this mold but obviously i could be wrong.

the second question is easy: you draft them based on your assessment of market value. in juolevi's case he was widely considered a top 10 pick, so we did not have the option of waiting for the late second round.

What are you rambling on about?

Fact: players taken high in the NHL draft are better players/more developed at the time of the draft than players taken later in the draft

Fact: players taken high in the draft make the NHL earlier than guys taken later in the draft

Fact: players taken later in the draft are because they are very underdeveloped compared to the player taken high in the draft.

Fact: if a player is underdeveloped they will need longer years to develop before they can make the NHL.

Why the hell are you comparing Juolevi to Duncan Keith? Keith was drafted late in the draft because he was very underdeveloped and was 5'11 165lbs. Of course a guy like that is going to require many years of development.

Juolevi was the first dmen selected in the damn draft. He's not a guy that should be taking a lot of years to develop to make the NHL. They have completely different developmental arcs. He already has NHL size so that is not an excuse. Besides, when you watch him play, his lack of size/strength is not what is holding him back.

Also, in their draft + 1 year, Keith actually showed significant improvement absolutely dominating the WHL. Juolevi had a middling season being moved out of the top PP unit in favor of a 17 year old and did not progress in any meaningful way.

Juolevi should be compared to his cohort of defencemen drafted high in the draft, not late round bloomers who were significantly different players at the time of the draft than Juolevi was.

Your comparison makes about as much sense as comparing Nolan patrick to a Johnny Gaudreau

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

biturbo did us a service by demonstrating that this is not the dominant profile of successful top pair nhl defencemen. that's not surprising. there is absolutely no reason i can think of to correlate early physical maturity with success as an nhl defenceman. there is, on the other hand, every reason to expect that with a year 18 draft the majority of dmen prospects drafted early will be athletes who have physically matured early based on the crudeness of historic nhl drafting patterns.

But that analysis is incomplete. It only contains "impact" players. If you expanded it to show every player who played a single game in the NHL regardless of how small their impact you would see that the longer a prospect takes to make the NHL, the smaller the % that they become "impact" players. For every 1 or 2 late round guys who make Bitturbo's list, there are 20-30 guys who don't make the list. So you can't just look at players who have made it, you also have to look at players who didn't make it (i.e. not impact players). For every season that Juolevi can't make the NHL, his odds of becoming one of the impact ones goes down. He might still make it, but it becomes less likely.

There are several other thing that Bit's analysis ignores, namely:

1. NCAA players - guys like Slavin, Mcdonagh have limited contact with NHL teams. They can't attend training camps and "make the team". They essentially have to decide a priori to leave college without having an NHL spot. These guys typically take longer to arrive than CHL players who can attend camps and be under close supervision of NHL teams the entire time.

2. Eurpean players - guys like Klefbom, Kronwall playing in pro leagues in europe are often under contract to their club and can't just come over any time they want. Maybe Pettersson *could* make the club this year, but he won't even get a chance because he's contracted to Vaxjo.

3. Undrafted players - guys like Krug and Tanev who were never drafted are obviously going to take longer to arrive since they are under no team's control and typically don't leave college until their 3rd or 4th year because ... well why would they? Without an NHL contract waiting for them they are better off finishing off their degree before trying to turn pro.

4. Opportunity - Without a doubt 1st round picks (esp top 10 picks) get more opportunity than players drafted later. Teams will keep high picks longer at main camp and even give them their "9 games" for optics. No one wants their high first round pick to be buried in junior and the minors for 4-5 years, giving the impression they made a mistake. See Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann in 2015-16. Guys drafted later get no such advantages.

So honestly, if you are looking to "improve" the quality of your comparables you'd do far better to exclude players who are affected by these factors that don't apply to Juolevi. Just as you've been trying to find better physical comparisons for Juolevi you should consider doing the same for development path comparisons.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What are you rambling on about?

Fact: players taken high in the NHL draft are better players/more developed at the time of the draft than players taken later in the draft

Fact: players taken high in the draft make the NHL earlier than guys taken later in the draft

Fact: players taken later in the draft are because they are very underdeveloped compared to the player taken high in the draft.

Fact: if a player is underdeveloped they will need longer years to develop before they can make the NHL.

Why the hell are you comparing Juolevi to Duncan Keith? Keith was drafted late in the draft because he was very underdeveloped and was 5'11 165lbs. Of course a guy like that is going to require many years of development.

Juolevi was the first dmen selected in the damn draft. He's not a guy that should be taking a lot of years to develop to make the NHL. They have completely different developmental arcs. He already has NHL size so that is not an excuse. Besides, when you watch him play, his lack of size/strength is not what is holding him back.

Also, in their draft + 1 year, Keith actually showed significant improvement absolutely dominating the WHL. Juolevi had a middling season being moved out of the top PP unit in favor of a 17 year old and did not progress in any meaningful way.

Juolevi should be compared to his cohort of defencemen drafted high in the draft, not late round bloomers who were significantly different players at the time of the draft than Juolevi was.

Your comparison makes about as much sense as comparing Nolan patrick to a Johnny Gaudreau

He's making excuses for Juolevi because he's a Benning supporter and to admit that Juolevi isn't as good as his draft position would be to say that Benning made a HUGE blunder, given who went 6th overall and who should have been picked at 5.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Also, where is this idea coming from that Juolevi is somehow so physically immature that he can't make the NHL?

OEL, 6'2, 176 lbs at the draft, made the NHL in his d+2 season
Jonas Brodin 6'1 168 lbs at the draft, made the NHL in his d+2 season

Juolevi 6'2, 182 lbs at the draft, looking brutal in prospect camp, little chance he'll be making the roster this year

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
He's making excuses for Juolevi because he's a Benning supporter and to admit that Juolevi isn't as good as his draft position would be to say that Benning made a HUGE blunder, given who went 6th overall and who should have been picked at 5.

Is this literally a joke? People jump on people for saying anything about them being a benning hater and here you go...

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

That's a strawman. The problem with Juolevi is that he is neither progressing to the point where he could make the NHL this year on merit, nor is he dominating his peers, the latter of which being something that absolutely does not depend on physical maturity as countless players have shown.

biturbo did us a service by demonstrating that this is not the dominant profile of successful top pair nhl defencemen. that's not surprising. there is absolutely no reason i can think of to correlate early physical maturity with top pair success as an nhl defenceman. there is, on the other hand, every reason to expect that with a year 18 draft the majority of dmen prospects drafted early will be athletes who have physically matured early based on the crudeness of historic nhl drafting patterns.

There is a massive selection bias problem with that analysis. The reason its not the dominant path is that there are many more defencemen who are drafted late than drafted very early because they are physically mature. If you have a 10% chance of pulling a quality defender from 100 drafted players, and a 50% chance of pulling a quality defender from a crop of 10, of course you will see that distribution.

I agree that NHL drafting has been crude, but you see the same pattern with physically immature defencemen taken/ranked high even if you exclude those players that are physically mature. One of either dominating your peers or making the NHL early is basically a prerequisite to being a top defender.

The NHL draft isn't an efficient market. Duncan Keith would go top-5 with the benefit of hindsight. He wouldn't go top-5 if his draft were re-held today. Those are two different things.

The point is that Juolevi looks bad even using the modern analytics that would predict success.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Is this literally a joke? People jump on people for saying anything about them being a benning hater and here you go...

It's not a joke. It's an observation made based on a reputation from posts in several management threads. And that trend has continued in here.

It's not anti-Benning to be critical of Juolevi, who really hasn't developed. Last year he just flatlined. Was the same as he was in his draft year, if not worse (I didn't watch him too much in 2015-16 so it's hard to say). Last year he did not impress me at all defensively, and offensively his game did not improve.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
It's not a joke. It's an observation made based on a reputation from posts in several management threads. And that trend has continued in here.

It's not anti-Benning to be critical of Juolevi, who really hasn't developed. Last year he just flatlined. Was the same as he was in his draft year, if not worse (I didn't watch him too much in 2015-16 so it's hard to say). Last year he did not impress me at all defensively, and offensively his game did not improve.

I cannot take anything you say seriously anymore when you automatically go to the benning supporter route.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

projecting much?

i am not ready to give up on juolevi at least until training camp is done, and i've stated the parameters on which i will evaluate him during camp.

i think many in this place are ridiculously quick to turn on our picks and player acquisitions. what i think of benning is a separate issue.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
projecting much?

i am not ready to give up on juolevi at least until training camp is done, and i've stated the parameters on which i will evaluate him during camp.

i think many in this place are ridiculously quick to turn on our picks and player acquisitions. what i think of benning is a separate issue.

Except you're using a very low bar. The expectations for a top 5 pick should be very high, and the time frame for them to show something should also not be very long. Most of us aren't ignoring the fact that Juolevi's development flatlined in his Draft +1 season. There was no improvement in his game at all. For a top 5 pick that's a very big red flag.

So far in camp he hasn't looked good. That's not to say things can't change, but again, another red flag. Let's see how he finishes camp and where we go from there, but so far the signs aren't looking good. We can ignore those signs and wish upon a star that things will be good, or we can acknowledge them and perhaps temper our expectations, thus concluding that perhaps using a 5th overall pick on this guy was a bad idea.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Except you're using a very low bar. The expectations for a top 5 pick should be very high, and the time frame for them to show something should also not be very long. Most of us aren't ignoring the fact that Juolevi's development flatlined in his Draft +1 season. There was no improvement in his game at all. For a top 5 pick that's a very big red flag.

So far in camp he hasn't looked good. That's not to say things can't change, but again, another red flag. Let's see how he finishes camp and where we go from there, but so far the signs aren't looking good. We can ignore those signs and wish upon a star that things will be good, or we can acknowledge them and perhaps temper our expectations, thus concluding that perhaps using a 5th overall pick on this guy was a bad idea.

How has he looked in the main camp? I haven't heard anything, what have you heard?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

lol

to summarize

i am supporting juolevi because i am pro-benning

but you are not attacking juolevi because you are anti-benning

and my reputation from management threads (i stopped posting in months ago because they are an echo chamber) confirms my reputation as pro-benning, but your endless posts in every thread criticizing benning does not impact your objectivity here.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
lol

to summarize

i am supporting juolevi because i am pro-benning

but you are not attacking juolevi because you are anti-benning

and my reputation from management threads (i stopped posting in months ago because they are an echo chamber) confirms my reputation as pro-benning, but your endless posts in every thread criticizing benning does not impact your objectivity here.

If I'm so anti-Benning that I'm going to attack everything he does, why am I a huge Brock Boeser supporter?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
That's a strawman. The problem with Juolevi is that he is neither progressing to the point where he could make the NHL this year on merit, nor is he dominating his peers, the latter of which being something that absolutely does not depend on physical maturity as countless players have shown.

There is a massive selection bias problem with that analysis. The reason its not the dominant path is that there are many more defencemen who are drafted late than drafted very early because they are physically mature. If you have a 10% chance of pulling a quality defender from 100 drafted players, and a 50% chance of pulling a quality defender from a crop of 10, of course you will see that distribution.

I agree that NHL drafting has been crude, but you see the same pattern with physically immature defencemen taken/ranked high even if you exclude those players that are physically mature. One of either dominating your peers or making the NHL early is basically a prerequisite to being a top defender.

The NHL draft isn't an efficient market. Duncan Keith would go top-5 with the benefit of hindsight. He wouldn't go top-5 if his draft were re-held today. Those are two different things.

The point is that Juolevi looks bad even using the modern analytics that would predict success.

the analytical model i presented exists independent of juolevi, who i only mention at the end as a possible example. your inability to separate the two in your response is indicative of a communication problem.

in particular, if i am showing "selection bias" by looking at all top pair defencemen as a cohort, then the folks here lined up against me looking at the smaller cohort of high draft pick defencemen who became top pair defencemen are being even more selectively biased.

bottom line, i presented a theory and supporting analysis that could have validity even if juolevi busts. i don't think your response engages with that theory in an honest intellectual manner and i think that, like y2k, you are more interested in winning the argument at hand about whether juolevi sucks or not.

the ironic thing about all this discussion is that i am really not far behind you guys on the juolevi analysis. if you actually read what i posted, you'd see my view is fairly nuanced and involves a degree of pessimism. i have been repeatedly critical of his play and questioned whether there may be attitude issues behind it. i have simply said i am not going to panic so long as he shows high level poise and vision at training camp. for that, apparently, i am a raving benning loving fact distorting juolevi lover.

whatever.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
If I'm so anti-Benning that I'm going to attack everything he does, why am I a huge Brock Boeser supporter?

It's almost as if prospects that develop well don't get criticized and prospects that don't develop well do get critized. Shocking.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

How can anyone not see you brought this up first and now go on the defensive as if someone called you out? This is comical.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
How can anyone not see you brought this up first and now go on the defensive as if someone called you out? This is comical.

I live in a world of facts. And the fact that a lot of people are ignoring is that Juolevi did not have a good Draft +1 season that would be expected out of a top 5 draft pick. I've also noticed the similarities between those who are still bullish on Juolevi, and those who support Jim Benning.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
the analytical model i presented exists independent of juolevi, who i only mention at the end as a possible example. your inability to separate the two in your response is indicative of a communication problem.

in particular, if i am showing "selection bias" by looking at all top pair defencemen as a cohort, then the folks here lined up against me looking at the smaller cohort of high draft pick defencemen who became top pair defencemen are being even more selectively biased.

bottom line, i presented a theory and supporting analysis that could have validity even if juolevi busts. i don't think your response engages with that theory in an honest intellectual manner and i think that, like y2k, you are more interested in winning the argument at hand about whether juolevi sucks or not.

the ironic thing about all this discussion is that i am really not far behind you guys on the juolevi analysis. if you actually read what i posted, you'd see my view is fairly nuanced and involves a degree of pessimism. i have been repeatedly critical of his play and questioned whether there may be attitude issues behind it. i have simply said i am not going to panic so long as he shows high level poise and vision at training camp. for that, apparently, i am a raving benning loving fact distorting juolevi lover.

whatever.

are you serious? Pitseleh addressed your post about Bit's analysis quite reasonably and articulated several clear counter arguments. Lumping his post in with Y2K's tangent about Benning lovers at this point is weak. Don't expect people to engage you in serious discussions if you are just going to dismiss them like that.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
But that analysis is incomplete. It only contains "impact" players. If you expanded it to show every player who played a single game in the NHL regardless of how small their impact you would see that the longer a prospect takes to make the NHL, the smaller the % that they become "impact" players. For every 1 or 2 late round guys who make Bitturbo's list, there are 20-30 guys who don't make the list.

i am not sure i understand your point. we are all talking about when impact dmen should show their stuff.

you and others have presented the thesis that top draft picks who become an impact dman generally need to show it by d+2.

that's the point i am answering. so why do i need to analyse every nhl dman ever?

biturbo has pointed out that many if not most impact dmen drafted show their potential later than d+2, meaning nhl scouting misses most impact dmen.

i suggested that this means there is a market inefficiency in the draft. i think it is pretty hard to argue otherwise, whatever the explanation for it.

i also suggested this market inefficiency is due to undue focus by the market on early maturing players due to the age 18 draft. i am hardly alone in that viewpoint.

up to this point, juolevi doesn't enter the discussion. so let's drop him completely so we are not distracted by our differing assessments of this particular player. let's take it one step at a time. do you disagree with anything above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad