Prospect Info: Olivier Nadeau, RW (97th overall, 2021) - Signed to ELC

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Huh? Writing off a 20 year old kid, who has 5 total pro games played and coming back from a nearly two month long injury seems..... premature. :huh:

Especially considering how the Sabres have dumped a few salaried veterans onto the Amerks roster lately.
A fourth-rounder who doesn't look like a great skater. He's a long shot for the NHL. Going backwards to ECHL doesn't bode well.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Injury. He's coming back from an injury. Makes sense to get him going in Jacksonville. Now, if he stays down there for a month or two, then maybe worry.

Turning 21 in January. This is a Cliff Pu, Nick Baptiste, and Josh Bloom pick -- good junior careers not going anywhere in the NHL. We have hit on way too few of these mid-round picks. When prospects hit the ground running in the AHL KHL or SHL, I start to take notice as Isek Rosen, Jiri Kulich or Nikita Novikov have.

Alex Kisakov looks like not much already with 1.5 AHL seasons in. Victor Neuchev is in his 1st AHL, so we'll see. Vsevolod Komarov has been good in the Q, but if he doesn't elevate his game in the AHL, it gets tough to see success. Prokhor Poltapov is already 2021 draft and his not klling it in the KHL

The good players bound for NHL seem to adjust quickly to every increase in intensity like Peterka or Quinn of Kulich.

I will say until the foreign kids get over to North America, you never know.

All that said, Nadeau looks like an NHL longshot.

I get the excitement as a fan. I was huge on Devante Stephens but reality creeps in

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I thought he did well in his time in Jax. I would suspect he'll be black acing it in Rochester with Giroux and the rest of the Amerk signees. Now if only the AHL website wasn't down on their transactions page...

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Very different players but you do you.
If there was a place where odds were established about a player getting 50 NHL games, Nadeau wouldn't even be 10-1. Prospects are always exciting based on junior/college statsand then reality sets in after a couple of years. Even making the AHL is a huge accomplishment in the scheme of life; it makes you a top 1,000 person in your chosen field out of the entire world. I respect that. But there are so many Nadeau's Nick Baptiste's, Bretty Murray's, Devante Stephens'., Josh Blooms, The list is so long. Nadeau has just fallen behind so many players now. Doesn't look like he dominated the ECHL. On a personal level, a guy like this who pushes for 400 games in the NHL is always an amazing story. Justin Bailey has hung around and gotten to 140 games. He's 28. If Bailey never plays one more NHL game, that is an accomplishment. Paul Byron's 500+ NHL games is one hell of a story. But these types of players are not going to break a 13-year drought. I just refuse to get hyped on anyone until they have a breakthrough pro season. (Others can. Go ahead) If it's at the AHL, like Kulich, that gets me pumped. Nadeau just doesn't generate much interest from me. He becomes a serious power forward, I would be very happy to be wrong.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If there was a place where odds were established about a player getting 50 NHL games, Nadeau wouldn't even be 10-1. Prospects are always exciting based on junior/college statsand then reality sets in after a couple of years. Even making the AHL is a huge accomplishment in the scheme of life; it makes you a top 1,000 person in your chosen field out of the entire world. I respect that. But there are so many Nadeau's Nick Baptiste's, Bretty Murray's, Devante Stephens'., Josh Blooms, The list is so long. Nadeau has just fallen behind so many players now. Doesn't look like he dominated the ECHL. On a personal level, a guy like this who pushes for 400 games in the NHL is always an amazing story. Justin Bailey has hung around and gotten to 140 games. He's 28. If Bailey never plays one more NHL game, that is an accomplishment. Paul Byron's 500+ NHL games is one hell of a story. But these types of players are not going to break a 13-year drought. I just refuse to get hyped on anyone until they have a breakthrough pro season. (Others can. Go ahead) If it's at the AHL, like Kulich, that gets me pumped. Nadeau just doesn't generate much interest from me. He becomes a serious power forward, I would be very happy to be wrong.

Did anyone ask you to get excited about him? Was there some personal plea to you to even follow the guy? Or did you just hop into a thread, seagull it and out? FFS, almost no picks make it. That's known. You don't have to even go into the threads about 'em.

Last edited:

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Meh I don't think Chain was pushing a narrative that he'll be a drought buster but there aren't many power forward types in the system at all. If he can work his way to being an AHL regular it will be a win.

E. Beat me to it lol

Reactions: barriers

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Meh I don't think Chain was pushing a narrative that he'll be a drought buster but there aren't many power forward types in the system at all. If he can work his way to being an AHL regular it will be a win.

E. Beat me to it lol

Teddy Nolan: “Prospects are great, Then some of them turn into suspects. Then some of them turn into rejects. You never know with the drafts."

I'm not aiming that at Nadeau. Sorry. I'm just worn out on being told how great our pipeline is and their future star power in the NHL. The 13 years and endless dollars on tickets make one very cynical. I'm even cynical about Benson, which is pretty dumb because the guy played pretty good hockey as an 18-year-old in the NHL. Last year, I watched every Rochester game because I was so excited. I don't trust anything the Sabres say anymore, but they are like an addiction, so I do get excited by prospects.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Teddy Nolan: “Prospects are great, Then some of them turn into suspects. Then some of them turn into rejects. You never know with the drafts."

I'm not aiming that at Nadeau. Sorry. I'm just worn out on being told how great our pipeline is and their future star power in the NHL. The 13 years and endless dollars on tickets make one very cynical. I'm even cynical about Benson, which is pretty dumb because the guy played pretty good hockey as an 18-year-old in the NHL. Last year, I watched every Rochester game because I was so excited. I don't trust anything the Sabres say anymore, but they are like an addiction, so I do get excited by prospects.
I totally get all of that and we all need to vent sometimes. It was just perhaps misdirected. There's a good chance Nadeau will never get to the big club. A lot of times you see the parent club run out of patience before a unicorn gets to the show, especially Buffalo. But it's still fun to watch kids grow and develop and we've all got our favorites as well.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Did anyone ask you to get excited about him? Was there some personal plea to you to even follow the guy? Or did you just hop into a thread, seagull it and out? FFS, almost no picks make it. That's known. You don't have to even go into the threads about 'em.

I still think Olivier has a chance, but I could see him being a Chris Taylor-type, where he's an AHL All-star with occasional call-ups as a 4th liner

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I get it. It must be really annoying with everyone telling you how great Nadeu is and his future star potential

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad