Olesz scoop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Now, here is the things:

Last season and at the begining of this season Olesz have been saying to go 2nd overall, heck even before his draft year he was suppose to challenge for the 1st overall! But somehow ppl said there is an big gap between him and Malkin? Olesz was better last season, now Malkin have taken over. But I dont buy into the thing that its a big drop between Malkin and Olesz. Can it be so that Olesz is just having an bad year, unfortunate it is in his draft year. But everyone can have a bad year even superstar in NHL. But somehow I feel he will take on where he left it and pick up his game once he is drafted. So it feel weird that ppl said it is a big gap between Malkin and Olesz and that the 3rd pick is not good as the 2nd. Well, but we cant know for sure until a couple of year I guess.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
A year ago Rob Schremp was suppose to be #2 overall, possibly challenging for 1st overall as well. However, a lot has happened in a year, and some players had big years in development, others not so much. Guys like Schremp and Olesz developed rapidly last year, while this past season they didn't seem to make big leaps, for one reason or another. While guys like Malkin and Thelen either solidified their ranking or shot up with good years. This happens every year.

As of right now, the consensus is that Malkin is ahead of both Olesz and Schremp. But as you say, in a few years things could turn out to be very different. Schremp's progress could stall completely, Ovechkin could have a sex change and play in the newly formed WNHL, Malkin could be abducted by illegal aliens, and Olesz could develop into a top notch player. You never know.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
The big gap between Olesz and Malkin is BS IMO, but I admit I'm a big Olesz fan.
I remember that last year he was the 2nd overall choice for almost anyone, but Malkin came out from no where and now he's the consensous 2nd choice.
I think that Olesz dropped in the rankings because he didn't improve much from last year and for the concussion he got at the WJC.
While I agree that Malkin is the second pick for sure, I don't agree that between him and Olesz there's a big gap as someone say.
Still, with Chicago at the third spot all can happen in the draft so no one is sure where Olesz can go.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
this is how the draft works... there are risng prospects, ones who continue to improve, and falling prospects, ones that stay the same while everyone passes them or regress a bit

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
In some ways the draft can be a quessing game.

At the beginning of the season, ranking services, as well as scouts, look at a player, based on past performance and try do determine if he will continue to "grow" in hockey (knowledge, instinct, ability...) at a rate that he showed the previous year(s).

Sometimes players continue to grow at a high rate, sometimes they do not. The key is projecting potential based on past performance, trying to determine if that player will reach his potential. A lot of things play into this, including character and personality. As a player becomes older, closer to reaching his potential, it is easier to see his actual ability, as his actual potential is realized.

At the beginning of the season, Olesz was thought to have more ability, a year later, Malkin has surpassed him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hey, who thought a few years ago that Nash would be picked ahread of Bouwmeester.
Doesn't seem that bad of a pick right now, huh?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Evilo said:
Hey, who thought a few years ago that Nash would be picked ahread of Bouwmeester.
Doesn't seem that bad of a pick right now, huh?

Can people please stop using this as any sort of point in an argument? By saying that "Nash was picked ahead of Bouwmeester" you are completely taking the first round draft deals out of context.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Alex Kovalev said:
Its a joke I think. :)

It could just be somebody who's watched them all play during the WJC and liked Olsez better.

I've watched Schremp play in London 5 times and still don't see him as one of the top 10 players in this draft (he reminds me of Mike Zigomanis as much as he does of Marc Savard).

If you look back at drafts you realize even the pros are pretty hit and miss.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Postman said:
As of right now, the consensus is that Malkin is ahead of both Olesz and Schremp. But as you say, in a few years things could turn out to be very different.

Things "could" turn out to be different? Try "will" turn out different :)

Name me a past NHL draft where things went exactly as planned.

You draft guys based on some sort of potential.

1-You've got to accurately measure this potential (and there are no absolute proven techniques for that).

2-Then you've got to develop that potential. Something that partly depends on a team's ability to do so (Devils come to mind), the prospect's desire to do so, as well as other hurdles along the way (player suffers tragedy which affects his desire or concentration, player becomes less motivated or more motivated as he matures, player is influenced by the dollar figures or his attitude changes for better or worse under pressure)

3-The finally you've got to hope the development won't be impacted by things out of everyone's control. nagging injuries, concussion problems, growth problems, or hidden/developed diseases that creep up, from cancer to epilepsy and so on...

Realistically, how can things not change in two or three years? It has never happened and will never happen. You do your best for step #1 and step #2 and you cross your fingers step 3 won't rear its ugly head.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
Things "could" turn out to be different? Try "will" turn out different :)

Name me a past NHL draft where things went exactly as planned.

Ahhh yess... but name me a past NHL draft where things turned out VERY different, such as the top pick getting a sex change!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Epsilon said:
Can people please stop using this as any sort of point in an argument? By saying that "Nash was picked ahead of Bouwmeester" you are completely taking the first round draft deals out of context.
Context or no context, pretty much everyone thought a few years before than nobody could challenge JayB for the top spot.
So my point remains. Whether you choose to go by semantics or by the meaning of my post.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Evilo said:
Context or no context, pretty much everyone thought a few years before than nobody could challenge JayB for the top spot.
So my point remains. Whether you choose to go by semantics or by the meaning of my post.

No, the point is that no one really did challenge him. Florida was targeting Bouwmeester and no one else. Columbus wanted Nash like no tomorrow, and they were afraid someone would jump up into Atlanta's #2 spot to get him. So they proposed a deal with Florida to switch places. Dudley flipped 2 2nds to Atlanta for them to promise they wouldn't pick Bouwmeester, and then made the deal. Once again, the context of the deals is everything. Bouwmeester was the de facto #1 pick, since the team picking #1 made sure they got him, even if it was at #3.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Epsilon said:
No, the point is that no one really did challenge him. Florida was targeting Bouwmeester and no one else. Columbus wanted Nash like no tomorrow, and they were afraid someone would jump up into Atlanta's #2 spot to get him. So they proposed a deal with Florida to switch places. Dudley flipped 2 2nds to Atlanta for them to promise they wouldn't pick Bouwmeester, and then made the deal. Once again, the context of the deals is everything. Bouwmeester was the de facto #1 pick, since the team picking #1 made sure they got him, even if it was at #3.
But once again the point remains that had Columbus picked first, they would have taken Nash, and IMO it doesn't look bad now.
The fact that at least one team had Nash rated above Bouwmeester shows that some guys can rise fast in one year and still be pretty good in the future.
We've seen that with Kovalchuk as well who beat out Spezza even though Jason had been hyped as a sure fire #1 for years.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Evilo said:
But once again the point remains that had Columbus picked first, they would have taken Nash, and IMO it doesn't look bad now.
The fact that at least one team had Nash rated above Bouwmeester shows that some guys can rise fast in one year and still be pretty good in the future.
We've seen that with Kovalchuk as well who beat out Spezza even though Jason had been hyped as a sure fire #1 for years.

They must choose Nash over J-Bo. Because they know they did not got a any chance to draft J-Bo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad