Player Discussion Olen Zellweger

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Obviously on a short hot streak but how do you guys feel about Olen?

He seems good

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

He seems good

The offense was always going to come, but the biggest plus for me so far is that he’s not completely overmatched physically in his own end. He’ll get even better defensively as he gains more experience

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't see why the team would care about calder eligibility. I personally don't.
I think the game experience is important , at the same time if we’re healthy we may have to use a bit of a rotation, I’m sure for guys like lacombe Vaaks lidstrom leggesson it’s some what open audition for a roster spot next year, and could see some sort of rotation pending a healthy roster

Fowler gudas Mintyukov zellweger lacombe vaakaniainen lindstrom leggesson

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Well yes, but actually no. I am sure Zell would have a legitimate chance at a top-10 finish next season and should be given the opportunity to earn this. Team success is more important, no doubt, but I think it would be a nice nod towards Zell to allow him to be able to compete for the Calder next season.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
People forget that Zellweger really isn’t even that much smaller than Quinn Hughes, Makar, and Fox. I’m not saying he’ll be that good but it won’t be his size that prevents him from it ImO

He’s not afraid of contact and has an aggressive offensive mindset - obvious he’s going to be good, the question is how good

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I don't like scratching him just for Calder eligibility. His play the last few games does not warrant a scratch at all...he is finally starting to look more and more comfortable.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I was never someone who was worried about Zellweger's size, except in front of the net.

He's stocky, strong lower body, has excellent edgework, and is very quick so he gets inside position most of the time and understands leverage.

My biggest concern would be if his offense translated to the NHL, his shot was always going to translate very well but I wondered if he would be able to read and adapt to faster opponents and not try and hold the puck too long/pinch every opportunity.

Didn't take him much time to adjust to the AHL and start dominating and it's looking like he's quickly learning how to be a threat at the NHL level now. Exciting player and a skillset we desperately need.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Zellweger > Drysdale IMO. I think Zell is more built for the pro grind.
Zell also seem to know better what to do in the OZ. Dry is great, but often felt like he's skating without any idea what to do next. Zell just constantly delivers. Might be a combination of a better processing and agressivenes

But I don't want to dunk on Dry. He's good as well

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Zell also seem to know better what to do in the OZ. Dry is great, but often felt like he's skating without any idea what to do next. Zell just constantly delivers. Might be a combination of a better processing and agressivenes

But I don't want to dunk on Dry. He's good as well

Yeah definitely intended as a feather in Zell's cap rather than a slight on JD

Reactions: Kalv

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

He seems good
He has been fine defensively (minus a few mistakes but every defenseman makes those) but lackluster offensively, minus these last couple of games of course. I have a feeling the offense will come more consistently as time goes on.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad