Player Discussion Olen Zellweger

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
He's very impressive. I'm almost surprised at how many facets of the game he plays at a high level, but I think we all knew he was a special prospect, the question was how well he'd adapt. Even defensively, yeah he gets caught out of position but he's often quick to get back and apply pressure. With more experience he could be a decent presence in his own zone, to say nothing of how his zone exits are already pretty damn good.

I think he looks better than guys like Drysdale, Theodore, and Montour did early in their careers. Fowler is a wash but Fowler's dynamism was neutered after injuries and being pressed to be a responsible two way defender.
Flower came in to the league at a very good time that hid his flaws. Prime getz, prime perry, prime kessler hides A LOT of flaws. Now that he is a top pair, he is being exposed.

He's very impressive. I'm almost surprised at how many facets of the game he plays at a high level, but I think we all knew he was a special prospect, the question was how well he'd adapt. Even defensively, yeah he gets caught out of position but he's often quick to get back and apply pressure. With more experience he could be a decent presence in his own zone, to say nothing of how his zone exits are already pretty damn good.

I think he looks better than guys like Drysdale, Theodore, and Montour did early in their careers. Fowler is a wash but Fowler's dynamism was neutered after injuries and being pressed to be a responsible two way defender.

I was very surprised Theodore took off. He did not look special as a duck.

Montour is a bonehead. He takes the puck up and gets lost once he enters the blue line.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Yes indeed. Lubo/Lydman was a good pairing that year but they got worn down over the course of the year. Cam must've played with Mara, perhaps Lilja and ultimately Beauch later in the year. Now that i think of it, Zell is not entirely dissimilar from Lubo.
I think Lubo is a great comp for Zell. I think Zell's ceiling might is basically prime Lubo, who was very, very good.

I think their skill sets are slightly different. Visnovsky had an absolute cannon of a slapshot; Zellweger seems to get it done more with good wristers and snapshots. Zellweger has better skating ability. We'll see how things go on the defensive side of the puck. Visnovsky was smart enough and quick enough at decisions to succeed back there, particularly when paired with a very good defensive stalwart like Lydman. Zellweger seems like he brings a bit more toughness to the table.

If Zellweger ends up as 80% of the player Visnovsky was, I'd be incredibly happy with that.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I think Lubo is a great comp for Zell. I think Zell's ceiling might is basically prime Lubo, who was very, very good.

I think their skill sets are slightly different. Visnovsky had an absolute cannon of a slapshot; Zellweger seems to get it done more with good wristers and snapshots. Zellweger has better skating ability. We'll see how things go on the defensive side of the puck. Visnovsky was smart enough and quick enough at decisions to succeed back there, particularly when paired with a very good defensive stalwart like Lydman. Zellweger seems like he brings a bit more toughness to the table.

If Zellweger ends up as 80% of the player Visnovsky was, I'd be incredibly happy with that.
Yeah i agree about the shot and skating ability.

Lubo was so good making plays right at the blue line, just was fearless. sometimes it'd bite him but more often it didn't. the ultimate tightrope walker, just an incredibly exciting player to watch and Zell appears to be as well.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad