OLED tv question

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hello geeks.
Looking for what you would pick of these 2 models. Money doesn’t matter.

We are senior citizens. I mainly watch sports, movies, stream Netflix, Prime, etc…

No need for gaming . Or any other stuff.
Currently everything we have and had has been Sony. Sound bar, blu ray, stereo, etc…

Im going tomorrow to check these two out ( Im a Sony guy)..

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-6...oled-4k-hdr-google-tv/6543908.p?skuId=6543908

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-6...4k-hdr-oled-google-tv/6500891.p?skuId=6500891

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
My dad situation a year ago sounds similar to yours. While I personally would have gotten an LG G2 (best high-end TV for gaming in my opinion), for him though, the best option was the A95K. It's an amazing TV and won multiple awards last year. Can't recommend it enough.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I have no experience with either, but, just from a little research:

The A95K appears to be Sony's 2022 top-of-the-line set and features a QD-OLED (the best kind of OLED) display.

The A80L is the next tier down and has a regular OLED display, but is a 2023 model.

Both are highly rated, so it's a choice between a little fancier and a little newer.

That said, the A95L is the 2023 replacement for the A95K and will be released in August, according to Sony. Reportedly, its display is even brighter and better than last year's A95K. You might care to wait a month for that if you want the absolute best that Sony has to offer (or to get the older A95K at a discount, though you said that money doesn't matter).

Last edited:
Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

The A95K appears to be Sony's 2022 top-of-the-line set and features a QD-OLED (the best kind of OLED) display.

The A80L is the next tier down and has a regular OLED display, but is a 2023 model.

Both are highly rated, so it's a choice between a little fancier and a little newer.

That said, the A95L is the 2023 replacement for the A95K and will be released in August, according to Sony. Reportedly, its display is even brighter and better than last year's A95K. You might care to wait a month for that if you want the absolute best that Sony has to offer (or if you want to get the older A95K at a good discount, though you said that money doesn't matter).
Compared to a year ago, the A95K seems pretty knocked down. I believe it started around the price the A95L is gonna release at which is $3500 to $4000.

I had this happen when I helped my dad buy the A95K, some places (generally higher-end boutique stores) might already have copies of an A95L if you go and ask. Major retailers may be waiting for the official ship date though.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

That said, the A95L is the 2023 replacement for the A95K and will be released in August, according to Sony. Reportedly, its display is even brighter and better than last year's A95K. You might care to wait a month for that if you want the absolute best that Sony has to offer (or if you want to get the older A95K at a good discount, though you said that money doesn't matter).
Thanks but theres a back story to it and I cant wait.

Spent today helping son # 2 and his GF move into their new apartment in Quincy.

Now for the bad news . Her 65“ old vizio cracked in the uhaul.

Now for the greatest f***ing news ever!
The Bride turns to me and says “you want one of them fancy oled tv things dontcha?“

I just stared.

“ Give Matt and Lexi our 65“ Sony xbr and go get yourself a new one. The fancy kind. Your very first social security check comes next week and will be something to remember it by”.

Matt turned to me and said “ Dad, please say yes and dont screw this up”.

:D

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In that case, yeah, just go down to Best Buy and compare the two, like you were planning to do. The only notable difference appears to be the display. As I said, the A95K was Sony's best last year, but it's possible that the A80L doesn't look much worse, since it's a year newer. Seeing them in person should answer that.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, I can't exactly say which one is better price to perfromance and if the A95K is significantly better. All I can say in the year my dad has had the A95K he loves it, and it cleaned up on awards last year. Either TV you get should be more than powerful/great for what you want to do.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm a lot younger than you but I don't know shit either, if that makes you feel better.

IMG_0764.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Yeah, I can't exactly say which one is better price to perfromance and if the A95K is significantly better. All I can say in the year my dad has had the A95K he loves it, and it cleaned up on awards last year. Either TV you get should be more than powerful/great for what you want to do.

how is the sound on your Dads?
I currently use a soundbar for my 7 year old led sony.
But the A95K supposedly sits low on stand but has a sound system that really doesnt need an extra sound system?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
how is the sound on your Dads?
I currently use a soundbar for my 7 year old led sony.
But the A95K supposedly sits low on stand but has a sound system that really doesnt need an extra sound system?
The sound on the TV is good, I believe it basically emits sound from the screen essentially. It does sit low. He mostly uses it to watch sports though. His big passion is music/audio, so through his TV which is hooked up to a PC for display purposes, that PC in then hooked up to USB DAC that he plays his music through his Wilson speakers/AMP (but that's on the crazy end of home audio). But, I've never seen him having to use the DAC/Speakers for anything TV related outside of when he's playing audio he's copied over to his computer in .Wav files. He doesn't really watch much in the way of film which would be the better test of that.

Hopefully, this is helpful. I just don't have much first-hand experience with it outside of going over to watch Leafs and NFL games occasionally.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The sound on the TV is good, I believe it basically emits sound from the screen essentially. It does sit low. He mostly uses it to watch sports though. His big passion is music/audio, so through his TV which is hooked up to a PC for display purposes, that PC in then hooked up to USB DAC that he plays his music through his Wilson speakers/AMP (but that's on the crazy end of home audio). But, I've never seen him having to use the DAC/Speakers for anything TV related outside of when he's playing audio he's copied over to his computer in .Wav files. He doesn't really watch much in the way of film which would be the better test of that.

Hopefully, this is helpful. I just don't have much first-hand experience with it outside of going over to watch Leafs and NFL games occasionally.

very helpful! I’m grateful.

just got back. Both the Samsung S95B and Sony A95K were incredible for me. Mind blowing Picture. Almost 3D. These old eyes couldnt see any true difference . The guy said yep because they use exact same panels. ( which I already researched) Sony just a hair brighter maybe.

The sound was different though to me. The Sony sounded better without sound bar on for each to compare.

So, went with the Sony A95K. Gets delivered Friday.
Best Buy also gave me a future $300 store credit for any future purchases. Will come in handy for Xmas.
So now son#2 can get my old 65” XBR and soundbar.

Everyone wins!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

just got back. Both the Samsung S95B and Sony A95K were incredible for me. Mind blowing Picture. Almost 3D. These old eyes couldnt see any true difference . The guy said yep because they use exact same panels. ( which I already researched) Sony just a hair brighter maybe.

The sound was different though to me. The Sony sounded better without sound bar on for each to compare.

Best Buy also gave me a future $300 store credit for any future purchases. Will come in handy for Xmas.

Everyone wins!
Congrats, enjoy the purchase. It's a great TV.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Everyone wins!
Good choice. The Samsung s95b has had some issues with bugs and quality control.
The Sony x95k uses the same QD-OLED panel but it’s much better executed overall. Plus you get Sony’s top of the line processing.I’ve owned Sony TVs for decades. Definitely my #1 choice for a TV.

I have the older Sony a80J OLED and love it. Also have the x95j and love that TV too but not as much as my OLED. The OLED picture quality is just next level.

My next TV will probably be Qd-OLED unless micro Led becomes affordable by then (doubtful…). Though I’m curious to see how they last and hold up against burn-in.

Did you grab the 5 year geek squad warranty?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Good choice. The Samsung s95b has had some issues with bugs and quality control.
The Sony x95k uses the same QD-OLED panel but it’s much better executed overall. Plus you get Sony’s top of the line processing.I’ve owned Sony TVs for decades. Definitely my #1 choice for a TV.

I have the older Sony a80J OLED and love it. Also have the x95j and love that TV too but not as much as my OLED. The OLED picture quality is just next level.

My next TV will probably be Qd-OLED unless micro Led becomes affordable by then (doubtful…). Though I’m curious to see how they last and hold up against burn-in.

thanks.

yes, I bought the 5 year warranty. Honestly glad I did. I too have always had Sonys.
About 7 years ago the modelLCD I had developed a line in it. Still under warranty. They sent a guy out. He tried a few things. Then called them directly. They took my info and told me to go to nearest Best Buy With $2500 credit towards any Sony. Which was $700 more than the original . So worth it to me. I got the xbr 850E which will now be my sons along with the HT-G700 sound bar I wont be using.

I did order new high speed ankar hdmi cables since the old ones are over 15 years old. They come tomorrow.

Any way Ill be 66. Who knows? This may be my last. Might as well live it up.
Comes Friday.

:D

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Any reason why you didn’t look into LG’s OLEDs?

They’ve been in the OLED game for a long time and their displays are fantastic. They’ve even broken into the PC gaming monitor crowd with their smaller displays, which is incredibly hard to do.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Burn in is no longer a legitimate concern for normal use.

I have had an OLED television for console gaming and an OLED monitor for my gaming PC for 3+ years now and neither has shown the slightest hint of burn in.

These are not 2010 era plasma TVs. The technology has come a long, long way.

Reactions: Jovavic

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
You guys want a real tv? My 32" Insignia hasn't been inside for over 6 years 😅

-20? No problem. +40 in the Sun? No problem lol. Little snow or rain ever hurt anything

• Haha

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Any reason why you didn’t look into LG’s OLEDs?

They’ve been in the OLED game for a long time and their displays are fantastic. They’ve even broken into the PC gaming monitor crowd with their smaller displays, which is incredibly hard to do.

I did. Just for these old eyes the Sony had the best picture and by far the best sound. Dont need the sound bar anymore. Saw all of them in Best Buy Magnolia room.

It was delivered and set up yesterday.
It is amazingly beautiful. Mind blowing. Cant wait for hockey and football.

Again I do movies and sports.
Last gaming I had was an Atari in 1981. Couldnt care less.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I did. Just for these old eyes the Sony had the best picture and by far the best sound. Dont need the sound bar anymore. Saw all of them in Best Buy Magnolia room.

It was delivered and set up yesterday.
It is amazingly beautiful. Mind blowing. Cant wait for hockey and football.

Again I do movies and sports.
Last gaming I had was an Atari in 1981. Couldnt care less.

Hard disagree on the picture quality but sound is indeed better on the Sonys, that’s for sure. Enjoy your tv.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Burn in is no longer a legitimate concern for normal use.

I have had an OLED television for console gaming and an OLED monitor for my gaming PC for 3+ years now and neither has shown the slightest hint of burn in.

These are not 2010 era plasma TVs. The technology has come a long, long way.

QD-OLED is a new technology and it doesn’t use white pixels + is brighter than normal OLED panels. We don’t know if burn-in will be an issue yet, but tests are showing burn-in might be a concern. They are already recommending against QD-OLED for computer monitors.

I’ve had enough TVs fail on me that it’s worth it for me to get the 5yr geek squad warranty for peace of mind, especially since it covers burn-in however unlikely it may be.
And with Qd-OLED being a new technology I thought it was worth it for the OP to buy the warranty too (and he did).

Last edited:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Hard disagree on the picture quality but sound is indeed better on the Sonys, that’s for sure. Enjoy your tv.
I think both Sony and LG have excellent picture quality. I would list then #1A and #1B as far as having the best picture on the market. They both have a nice, natural look to their picture/colors. Some prefer the more “vivid” look of Samsung, but Samsung would be behind Sony and LG for me. Great TVs, don’t get me wrong. I just prefer the other two.

I still prefer Sony processing and upscaling myself but LG has definitely caught up in that area. Sony is still king though IMO (especially the processors they use in their high end TVs).

But I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an LG OLED. I went with my Sony a80j over the LG C2 mainly because of price. I was able to get the Sony for under $1000 for a 55”. I just didn’t see the point in spending the extra $250 on the C2. If both were equal price I’d have probably tried the LG.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

QD-OLED is a new technology and it doesn’t use white pixels + is brighter than normal OLED panels. We don’t know if burn-in will be an issue yet, but tests are showing burn-in might be a concern. They are already recommending against QD-OLED for computer monitors.

I’ve had enough TVs fail on me that it’s worth it for me to get the 5yr geek squad warranty for peace of mind, especially since it covers burn-in however unlikely it may be.
And with Qd-OLED being a new technology I thought it was worth it for the OP to buy the warranty too (and he did).

I’ve owned multiple OLEDs and QLEDs as both general purpose television displays and gaming monitors and I’ve encountered zero burn in on any of them. And I play MMOs that display bright static images for long periods of time. Again, pixel refresh and screen shift technology have come a long way in combating these problems.

Of course it’s possible to burn in an OLED in a closed lab setting when you’re deliberately trying to burn it in. And even then, you’re only going to notice the burn in on a gray screen test when you’re specifically looking for burn in. For the average consumer using these displays for average sports/movies/games, noticeable, experience altering burn in is simply not a realistic concern.

Also, I don’t know where you’re hearing that OLEDs/QLEDs are being discouraged for use as PC monitors. The exact opposite is happening in the marketplace right now. OLED/QLED have exploded in popularity as PC monitors, with Samsung, Dell, LG, and ASUS all selling new OLED/QLED models. These are among the most popular high end gaming monitors on the market right now.

It’s inarguable that OLED displays have a shelf life and will inevitably get dimmer after many, many years of constant use. I suppose it comes down to how you view electronics. If you’re the type of person who buys one TV every 20 years and expects it to last, then no, OLEDs are not for you. But if you’re a person who buys a new display every 5-7 years, there’s simply not a better technology than OLED/QLED. The picture quality on these panels is just vastly superior to traditional LED. They’re not even comparable. It’s like going from 30fps to 144fps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad