Old vid - Potvin

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I saw this from Facebook just now.. Have never seen this before.

More importantly,,, all you youts....look at how goaltending equipment use to be.. and how athletic and quick goalies were.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They're just out of position more and aren't playing the same style so it appears as though they're more athletic. It looks cool when the goalie is flailing, but it's less effective and doesn't necessarily mean it's an equipment issue. Goalies could butterfly in that ewuiequipand do just as well as their stand up counterparts.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Cool vid. Thanks for sharing. What was this anyway?

I don't think goalies were any more "athletic" back then. Obviously the equipment was smaller but primarily the chest protector and shoulder pads. The gloves and pads are relatively the same size. Larger goalies plus larger equipment plus more efficient style and positioning results in today's goalies. But they are plenty quick and plenty athletic.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
They're just out of position more and aren't playing the same style so it appears as though they're more athletic. It looks cool when the goalie is flailing, but it's less effective and doesn't necessarily mean it's an equipment issue. Goalies could butterfly in that ewuiequipand do just as well as their stand up counterparts.

You must be an absolute blast at parties.

Cool vid. Thanks for sharing. What was this anyway?

I don't think goalies were any more "athletic" back then. Obviously the equipment was smaller but primarily the chest protector and shoulder pads. The gloves and pads are relatively the same size. Larger goalies plus larger equipment plus more efficient style and positioning results in today's goalies. But they are plenty quick and plenty athletic.

Not really sure where its from --- looks like some sort of skills competitions -- but the arena seems to be wayyyy smaller audience than NHL standards

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
This is from 'Showdown'. The NHL taped a bunch of skills competitions and then showed the clips during game broadcasts between periods over the course of the 1980 season.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think the highlight was Bossy's perm & the Panasonic commercial!

Wayne's perm the following year...

gretzky-lafleur-1981-620.jpg

Reactions: Bones45

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad