Confirmed with Link: Okposo named captain and Girgensons and Dahlin given the As

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I saw an Okposo named captain thread and replied to it. After it posted, I realized it was on the main board, which I know is hit or miss with denizens of the Sabres forum. As this is where I intended to post this, I have copied and pasted my main board post:

I'm so very happy for Okposo to have been named Captain. Heading into the second RK season, I was pretty much done with him . At some point I referred to him as Suckposo and wanted him to be bought out. Having seen him since the change to Granato and the role he has played during that time and the rebound as to what I see on the ice, I am so personally embarrassed for having done so. His fortitude in overcoming his issues post concussion and horrible coaching and deployment have been remarkable as well

Given the right circumstances and the right coach and GM, Okposo has proven himself to be a terrific leader - on and - probably more importantly - off the ice. I'm hoping that at the end of his current contract., there is a year to year deal that leads to a permanent role in the organization post retirement.

In the meanwhile, I'm thrilled that what might have been the most obvious decision was not overthought and he has become what he has earned - the Captaincy of the Buffalo Sabres.

I'm equally happy that Zemgus is continuing as an Alternate. He has been a favorite of mine since he got here, perhaps because he overcame the mishandling of his early development and has turned into a hard working, steady and reliable player who has become leader on this team.

With the appointment of Rasmus Dahlin as a permanent Alternate, I think we are seeing the first formal sign of transition to the next generation of Sabres leadership. The new core of this team is so much more exciting to watch and experience than the core that was formed coming out of the tank years.

I'm looking forward to continued growth this season

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
I bet Gionta has some decent tales to tell.

A family member of his was one of my students last year. I never pressed them for stories because I felt they should just be a kid (and also because they shared that they were annoyed the way people always had questions when they saw their name). But one thing they did tell me was that Gio hated Eichel, in part because Eichel demanded the captaincy away from him. He wanted to stick around in Buffalo but was fed up with it.

Congrats to Okposo. He may not be the best on the ice these days. But he’s got great character. And that’s so much more important for this role.

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
Happy to be in the minority here and hate 2 of 3 choices.

Okposo, with age, will struggle to stay healthy as well as produce as he did last year (which I will consider a one-off). Then he won't be re-signed, and a 1 yr C is worth nothing.

Girgs won't be re-signed either.

Dahlin is obv choice for an A.
Tuch and Thompson should have been the A and C. (or just Ads if not ready).

• Wow
Reactions: Jacob582

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Okposo, with age, will struggle to stay healthy as well as produce as he did last year (which I will consider a one-off). Then he won't be re-signed, and a 1 yr C is worth nothing.

lol ok man. fitting name.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua

Not the answer I expected either but really insightful. Love Okposo.

Fit your own oxygen mask before assisting others.

I initially thought Tuch but I’ve been listening to a few Okposo interviews and for the last six months I’ve been convinced Kyle was getting the C. That dude is a leader and this is well deserved.

It’s really nice to see the team choose based on leadership, not skill as a player. Our last captain had no right being one.

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
Okposo was already the de facto captain and earned it. No brainer. Happy with all 3 letters.

That there are multiple guys worthy of consideration is a good thing, not a bad thing! With Tuch/Cozens/Tommer/etc we should have options for many years

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
There have been some tangential commentary. That said, Okposo has been walking the walk and talking the talk for a while and is a deserved recipient of the C.
Just from recent interviews, two things I've learned:

At every single stage of development throughout his career -

HCHA and pickup - "I guess I had a bit of an attitude problem"
Shattuck-St. Mary's "I guess I had a bit of an attitude problem"
USHL - "I guess I had a bit of an attitude problem"
UofM - "I guess I had a bit of an attitude problem"
US Nats - "I guess I had a bit of an attitude problem"
AHL - "I guess I had a bit of an attitude problem"
NHL - "I guess I had a bit of an attitude problem"

Interesting to see the introspection and maturation.

Also, near-death experience but consumed with hockey and the need to fix the mess that are the Sabres. I hate losing too, Kyle. I hate losing too.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Just got back from an Agent Orange concert and saw this. I think most of us knew this was obviously where they were going. No complaints. Dad is captain. He probably comes back next year and remains captain. Then Dahlin (most likely) is captain. Cool beans.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
im-shoked-im-shocked.gif

Finally the end of a certain subgroup trying to convince themselves the obvious and inevitable wasn't about to occur.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I loved Okposo's comeback year. Who wouldn't. My worry with his as captain is he can't sit now without it being major locker room issue and if last year was temporary blip, we are stuck with him in the lineup. Literally, a year earlier people wanted Kyle benched. I hope he has another great year or even a decent year and this is a non-issue.
na I think it was his contract not his on ice performance. He was always a reliable force on the LOG line.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I bet Gionta has some decent tales to tell.

I remember hearing him being interviewed on the radio after the Eichel trade, and the host asked him something about Eichel's attitude/personality. Gionta basically came back with "My mom taught me 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all,'" and went silent after that.

I'm glad we finally have the real/natural leaders in the room actually leading the room.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I remember hearing him being interviewed on the radio after the Eichel trade, and the host asked him something about Eichel's attitude/personality. Gionta basically came back with "My mom taught me 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all,'" and went silent after that.

I'm glad we finally have the real/natural leaders in the room actually leading the room.

That was with Rivet and Peters.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

I'm not crazy about the choice but virtually means little. I think Girgensons will be resigned though.

Basically, Sabres need a core star to be the long-term captain. The captain does not have to be the best player but he has to be good and his play on the ice matters. Okposo was up to it last year. Other years he was not even close. Some years he was an okay 3rd or 4th line guy. I don't want a 4th liner as captain. Really needs to be a top 4 D man or top 6 forward.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
I'm not crazy about the choice but virtually means little. I think Girgensons will be resigned though.

Basically, Sabres need a core star to be the long-term captain. The captain does not have to be the best player but he has to be good and his play on the ice matters. Okposo was up to it last year. Other years he was not even close. Some years he was an okay 3rd or 4th line guy. I don't want a 4th liner as captain. Really needs to be a top 4 D man or top 6 forward.
No, no, no ....

We have no idea who says/what in the locker room or on the bench for that matter

You DON'T have to be a great/good at hockey to be a leader

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Not the answer I expected either but really insightful. Love Okposo.

He says exactly what I've blathered about multiple times in threads about the captaincy. Players end up with a letter because of who they already are. If you're a captain, you don't have to change anything about yourself to play the role (and imo, if you have to do that you really aren't a leader). Also, leaders don't stop being leaders if they don't end up with a letter for some erroneous reason. If they do, they might have been a leader but really aren't in the long run if they change their ways out of spite or a belief that their role doesn't matter as much.

With this particular roster, who wears the letters doesn't matter a whole lot, because they collectively have a lot of character. Okposo justifiably is wearing the C, but he would keep being the most positive influence in the locker room without it.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Okposo; is the quintessential fit right now. Tuch has been with the organization less than one year; albeit a fit right off the bat, Okposo has seen the bridge from the old to the new, and embraced every part of it. He bleeds blue and gold. I want him signed to a 2 year extension "hopefully" around 2.5M. So he retires a Sabre. Just like Girgensons, who is a soldier, I want them here when we start ascending. These two "men", have never bitched or moaned, they just work. Drop Girgensons cap hit to 1.7-2.0; and re-sign Okie and lets get ready to ramp up!

Also, Rasmus; you're going to burn it up this year! Go go go, my boy!

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Okie for *1 year* extension. We are gonna need roster spots in a couple years. 3 million works, give him a 1 year Jim Kelly thank you deal.

As for Girgensons, I'd be OK with a 4-year extension, 2.25 per. He can be the straw that stirs the 4th line who can move up in a pinch. He can keep the A with whoever they go with for C.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009

Your captain needs to be the guy players listen to first and foremost. It was clear from last season that guy is Okposo. That part is easy.

What you are describing is the ideal captain. Well right now, the Sabres do not have that guy. The long-term goal is for that guy (top 6/top 4) to emerge as the guy who has the player's ear in the locker room, on the ice, and in practice.

What we know does not work, is to give it to a young star and expect the 'C' to turn them into a leader. It does not work and we do not need to go back down that road. If Tuch/Thompson didn't get an A, it is because they aren't leaders yet.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Great they were able to interview Okposo right after being named captain. Love it.

Peters needs to be quiet and let the guests answer the question sometimes. Example at 18:00.

Edit: Okposo is worth a listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Because Mondays were made for arguing...

I loved Okposo's comeback year. Who wouldn't. My worry with his as captain is he can't sit now without it being major locker room issue and if last year was temporary blip, we are stuck with him in the lineup. Literally, a year earlier people wanted Kyle benched. I hope he has another great year or even a decent year and this is a non-issue.
Why do you believe that?

Regardless of what you believe, what if Okposo acknowledged to his teammates he firmly believes there will be games he'll sit this season? (i.e., he "got out in front" of that possibility?

Note also, Henri Richard won 11 Cups with the Canadiens. He was captain the last 4 years of his career (which included 1 Cup win). He played one-fifth of the season his final year. That team certainly didn't collapse, and it took an upset in the Wales Conference final by Buffalo to knock them out.

I'm in the minority but I still don't get why playoffs couldn't have been more of a priority this year. We didn't need to sacrifice any prospects. Sign one better goalie, get a depth D, a centre who takes face offs. All short-term or even one year. Kyle could have been the A. Girgensons is a Sabres lifer and an easy choice for captain. Hardly the end of the world having Okposo in there and the guy's story is impossible not to love. But to me it's a caretaker season move.

I don't want Okposo signed for anything more than one year. And wait until the off-season.

I'm done with emotional moves. I have faith in Kevyn Adams. I think Okposo is a caretaker captain this year and not much more.
First bolded: What goalie was BUF signing other than Eric Comrie? They tried to get Matt Murray; who nixed the deal. Sabres signed Ilya Lyubushkin. At center, they stated they preferred to grow their lineup organically rather than injecting a vet from outside the org.

2nd bolded: "Caretaker" captain? Isn't that part of what a captain does? Look after (his) teammates?

Jack Eichel was BUF's top scorer four straight seasons beginning with his 2nd year, and was their top talent by far his entire tenure.
Jack Eichel couldn't lead seawater through the breach in the Titanic's hull.

Why?

Fit your own oxygen mask before assisting others.

I initially thought Tuch but I’ve been listening to a few Okposo interviews and for the last six months I’ve been convinced Kyle was getting the C. That dude is a leader and this is well deserved.

It’s really nice to see the team choose based on leadership, not skill as a player. Our last captain had no right being one.
(and)
No, no, no ....

We have no idea who says/what in the locker room or on the bench for that matter

You DON'T have to be a great/good at hockey to be a leader
Wholeheartedly agree to both posts above.
He says exactly what I've blathered about multiple times in threads about the captaincy. Players end up with a letter because of who they already are. If you're a captain, you don't have to change anything about yourself to play the role (and imo, if you have to do that you really aren't a leader). Also, leaders don't stop being leaders if they don't end up with a letter for some erroneous reason. If they do, they might have been a leader but really aren't in the long run if they change their ways out of spite or a belief that their role doesn't matter as much.

With this particular roster, who wears the letters doesn't matter a whole lot, because they collectively have a lot of character. Okposo justifiably is wearing the C, but he would keep being the most positive influence in the locker room without it.
Agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad