Ok Let's talk about Doug Gilmour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Graves*

Inspired by the 2009 hall of fame thread..

I am shocked there are people questioning whether or not he should get in.

First let's establish the fact that Gilmour was a very good two way player, gritty, tough, very good leader.

now onto the numbers..

1414 points in 1474 career games, so he was pretty much a PPG player, and was over prior to his final two years.

188 career playoff points in 182 games. How many of todays players are going to score almost 200 career playoff points? Maybe Crosby?

In Summary, very good regular season numbers, fantastic playoff performer. I know some will disagree but I believe he absolutely deserves to get in.

Diving Pokecheck*

On his play, he should be in.
Unfortunately, he is alleged to have done something off-ice that would absolutely preclude his induction.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Completely agree that Gilmour should be in. His playoff resume is sensational, you always knew he was going to be there in the trenches doing what it took to win come playoff time. I said this about Glenn Anderson in the other thread, and it applies to Gilmour pretty much the same: He was a very good player who is famous for his post-season heroics. That should get you in, whether or not you were considered "elite" for any length of time. And Gilmour was a Hart-calibre player in the mid-90's for Toronto, so he was indeed "elite", as many would define it, in his peak years. He'll get in though, just like Anderson got in.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I think Gilmour definitely deserves to be in the HOF:

Excellent playoff performances: Gilmour had a ton of great playoff performances, especially considering he usually played on mediocre teams
- in 1984, as 20-year-old rookie, he led the Blues in PO scoring, and this was when he still spent a lot of time on the PK
- in 1986, he led the playoffs in scoring despite being eliminated in the third round. He's top five in both goals and points
- in 1988, he scored 17 pts in 10 games, a full 7 pts ahead of the next best player on the Blues (Cavallini)
- in 1989, he's 5th in goals and points as the Flames win the Cup (though MacInnis was the real catalyst that year)
- in 1993, Gilmour scores a ridiculous 35 points in 21 games; it's one of the greatest modern-era examples of a player leading his team to victory. His next closest teammate (Clark) has just 20 points. Gilmour leads the playoffs in assists and is second only Gretzky in scoring; he's once again 5th in PO goals.
- in 1994, Gilmour again leads his team in scoring by a huge margin (28 pts in 18 games vs 18 pts for Ellett). Gilmour's 2nd in assists and 4th in points.

Then there are a few more accomplishments: he led the Leafs in PO assists in '95, he led them in assists & points in '96, then he led the Devils in PO scoring in '98. At age 38, Gilmour still led the Habs in PO scoring in 2002. Simply put, Gilmour was one of the greatest & most consistent playoff scorers in the modern era.

Great defensive player: he started his career as an effective penalty killer in St. Louis; by the time he reached his peak, he was still used to contain opponents' top lines late in close games. He won a Selke trophy (admittedly, in the 1990s it was seemingly for best two-way forward, rather than best defensive forward) and finished 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 6th and 9th in Selke voting.

Hart consideration: Gilmour finished 2nd only to Lemieux for the 1993 Hart, and finished in the top five in voting in 1987 and 1994. Over the course of his career Gilmour had roughly as many Hart shares as Lach, Yzerman or Potvin (obviously I'm not saying he's as good as they are, but that shows he's had some serious consideration for MVP)

Very good offense: his 1,400 points were partially a reflection of the era in which he played; still, Gimour was 6th in scoring during his career (behind only Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Francis and Messier). Gilmour proved he could stand as clearly his team's best offensive player (1987: finishes 33 pts ahead of Federko; 1993: finishes 53 pts ahead of Borschevsky) and he could make his linemates better (of the two seasons Andreychuk topped 50 goals and 95 points, he played 1.5 on Gilmour's wing). His three top-ten scoring finished are a little underwhelming, though.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Agree with you Kyle.

I just don't think he will make it this year... Nor do I think he should make it this year either.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Unfortunately, he is alleged to have done something off-ice that would absolutely preclude his induction.
I believe he was cleared of those allegations. I'm not claiming that he was definitely 100% innocent, but as is he would get the benefit of the doubt. There's a few other players in the Hall who have black marks against them due to their personal lives, so the precedent has already been set. If it were true (and it may be) it would be despicable, but he wouldn't be the first one.

You could argue that it's holding him back because he's a borderline candidate and the others weren't. But he shouldn't be a borderline candidate, he should be close to a lock for the HHOF. Hockey Outsider's detailed post explains why perfectly.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I think Gilmour definitely deserves to be in the HOF:

Excellent playoff performances: Gilmour had a ton of great playoff performances, especially considering he usually played on mediocre teams
- in 1984, as 20-year-old rookie, he led the Blues in PO scoring, and this was when he still spent a lot of time on the PK
- in 1986, he led the playoffs in scoring despite being eliminated in the third round. He's top five in both goals and points
- in 1988, he scored 17 pts in 10 games, a full 7 pts ahead of the next best player on the Blues (Cavallini)
- in 1989, he's 5th in goals and points as the Flames win the Cup (though MacInnis was the real catalyst that year)
- in 1993, Gilmour scores a ridiculous 35 points in 21 games; it's one of the greatest modern-era examples of a player leading his team to victory. His next closest teammate (Clark) has just 20 points. Gilmour leads the playoffs in assists and is second only Gretzky in scoring; he's once again 5th in PO goals.
- in 1994, Gilmour again leads his team in scoring by a huge margin (28 pts in 18 games vs 18 pts for Ellett). Gilmour's 2nd in assists and 4th in points.

Then there are a few more accomplishments: he led the Leafs in PO assists in '95, he led them in assists & points in '96, then he led the Devils in PO scoring in '98. At age 38, Gilmour still led the Habs in PO scoring in 2002. Simply put, Gilmour was one of the greatest & most consistent playoff scorers in the modern era.

Great defensive player: he started his career as an effective penalty killer in St. Louis; by the time he reached his peak, he was still used to contain opponents' top lines late in close games. He won a Selke trophy (admittedly, in the 1990s it was seemingly for best two-way forward, rather than best defensive forward) and finished 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 6th and 9th in Selke voting.

Hart consideration: Gilmour finished 2nd only to Lemieux for the 1993 Hart, and finished in the top five in voting in 1987 and 1994. Over the course of his career Gilmour had roughly as many Hart shares as Lach, Yzerman or Potvin (obviously I'm not saying he's as good as they are, but that shows he's had some serious consideration for MVP)

Very good offense: his 1,400 points were partially a reflection of the era in which he played; still, Gimour was 6th in scoring during his career (behind only Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Francis and Messier). Gilmour proved he could stand as clearly his team's best offensive player (1987: finishes 33 pts ahead of Federko; 1993: finishes 53 pts ahead of Borschevsky) and he could make his linemates better (of the two seasons Andreychuk topped 50 goals and 95 points, he played 1.5 on Gilmour's wing). His three top-ten scoring finished are a little underwhelming, though.
Great post and great Sumup.

As for the end part regarding his offense, it should be noted that his first 9 years in the league often had him relegated to 2nd line center duties. In StLouis, he was playing as second line or Checking center behind Fedorko, who was given the best wingers, yet Gilmour was still popping out 90-100 point seasons. In Calgary the situation was much the same. The team stacked Nieuwendyk's line with the top scorers(Fleury, Makarov, Roberts) while Gilmour got the defensive duties and lesser linemates.

It was not until Toronto that he was given full firstline duties full time, and then he just used that icetime to put on a grand display of scoring and defensive prowess in Pat Burns stifling defense first system.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Gilmour was sensational against Montreal in 1989.It was like seeing a high skilled version of Dale Hunter and in some games, he made the difference.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
Hate to rain on this Gilmour love-in but Adam Oates deserves to get into the Hall before he does.

Gilmour had just 3 100 point seasons...Oates had 4

Oates was a 2nd team NHL all-star at least once...can't say the same for Dougie

Oates led the NHL in assists 3 times...Gilmour never led the league in any stat

Oates career ppg is over 1 per game...Gilmour is under

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Gilmour and do think he will get in eventually but the Leaf fans who think he should be in immediately need to cool their jets because there are others more deserving (from the same era) to get in before him.

The Big Swede*

Isn't he going up with the likes of:Yzerman,Robitaille,Messier and Hull?

If so I just don't see it happening

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
Hate to rain on this Gilmour love-in but Adam Oates deserves to get into the Hall before he does.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Gilmour and do think he will get in eventually but the Leaf fans who think he should be in immediately need to cool their jets because there are others more deserving (from the same era) to get in before him.

Oates first for sure. Unrivaled (ok except for Wayne) set-up man from 1989 to `998. Everyone likes to think he has padded stats due to Hull or Neely but A. The Hull-Oates combo lasted less than 3 seasons and B. Neely only played more than 20-something games with Oates ONCE in the 4 years together.

Basically, Oates made nobodies like Stephen Leach, Dmitri Kvartalonov and Steve Heinze 20-goal scorers and did wonders for Washington when he resided there (please tell me Simon was on his wing when he notched 29). Notice how Joe Juneau produced (point-wise) and then became a defensive forward not long after being dealt from Boston? Gilmour was great and both were rather average goal scorers, but if Oates was ever a Leaf, the story would be different.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

And in my honest opinion that has got to be a reason as to why he isnt in there. I thought he would get in as soon as possible in 2006. Then 2007 came along and it's hard to unseat Mess, Mac, Stevens and Francis. But then I thought 2008 was a lock. Something is fishy, that is all I can say, the majority of us would consider Gilmour well above a marginal borderline Hall of Famer and there is no reason why the HHOF committee wouldnt agree.

Look this alleged sex with a teenage babysitter. I don't know every intimate detail about it other than the fact it happened in St. Louis sometime in 1987-'88. Gilmour was 24-25 then. This babysitter would have been 16. A little young? Perhaps, and if I'm the girl's father I'd wouldnt be amused but IIRC there were no charges that stuck and he got traded to Calgary after '88 and the whole St. Louis incident was forgotten. Sometimes people think that Gilmour was 40 years old when this happened but just to clear it up, he wasn't he was a fairly young man at the time not too far removed from a teen himself.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
And in my honest opinion that has got to be a reason as to why he isnt in there. I thought he would get in as soon as possible in 2006. Then 2007 came along and it's hard to unseat Mess, Mac, Stevens and Francis. But then I thought 2008 was a lock. Something is fishy, that is all I can say, the majority of us would consider Gilmour well above a marginal borderline Hall of Famer and there is no reason why the HHOF committee wouldnt agree.

Look this alleged sex with a teenage babysitter. I don't know every intimate detail about it other than the fact it happened in St. Louis sometime in 1987-'88. Gilmour was 24-25 then. This babysitter would have been 16. A little young? Perhaps, and if I'm the girl's father I'd wouldnt be amused but IIRC there were no charges that stuck and he got traded to Calgary after '88 and the whole St. Louis incident was forgotten. Sometimes people think that Gilmour was 40 years old when this happened but just to clear it up, he wasn't he was a fairly young man at the time not too far removed from a teen himself.

Umm, I do believe that's still considered statutory **** in some states. The reason it went away....can you say "hush money"? Oh, BTW...the girl in question was 14!!! and he was 25. Does that change your opinion?

Here's the proof..
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE2D71139F93BA15751C1A96E948260

Last edited:

Randall Graves*

Oates was a great great playmaker...but Gilmour was a better all around player, not that close really..

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Check out this thread where I attempt to cast doubt on Sergei Fedorov even being better than Gilmour... I think if the times and places were reversed we'd look at Gilmour in a much better light.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=536340

The HOH top-100 list is shaping up very well. I love this list - I think it is a massive improvement on any all-time list that has ever been made. To me, this is definitive. I am proud to have been a part in it. It's also opened my eyes up to the true greatness of a few players and to the lack of true greatness in some others. At times I have made an argument that has delayed or sped up the induction of a player I felt strongly about.

There's only one that really baffles me here - and that is Fedorov. How this guy gets all the way up to even 80th, doesn't register with me. I think he has had a career startlingly similar to Doug Gilmour, a player we would never consider, and who is having a hard time getting into the hall.

Fedorov peaked at 3rd in the NHL in goals. Gilmour peaked at 10th. Neither made the top-10 again.

Fedorov peaked at 9th in the NHL in assists and never ranked in the top-10 again. Gilmour has placed 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 8th.

Fedorov has two top-10 finishes in points - 2nd and 9th. Gilmour has been 4th, 5th, and 7th.

Gilmour has one selke, Fedorov has two. Both are of the dubious nature of recent selkes, as in not necessarily being the best defensive forward, but being the best among the star players in the game. Gilmour's selke voting results are 1, 2, 5, 6, 6, 9, 13, 13, 14. Fedorov's are 1, 1, 2, 4, 4, 8, 8, 9, 12.

Fedorov has finished 1st, 5th, 5th, 6th, 9th in all-star voting for centers. Gilmour has been 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 7th. And if you use the old "remove Wayne and Mario from the equation because they're freaks and anyone would finish behind them" argument, then it becomes 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 7th for Gilmour and 1st, 4th, 5th, 5th, 8th for Fedorov.

Fedorov has finished 1st, 5th, and 9th in Hart voting. Gilmour has been 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th. Truly, Mario Lemieux's health is the only reason one has a Hart and the other doesn't. In 92-93, if Mario sits out ten more games he does not win the scoring race and likely doesn't play enough games for the voters to give him the Hart, ang Gilmour wins it. In 1993-94, if he plays anything close to a full season the best player in hockey would not lose the Hart to the likes of Fedorov and Sergei becomes a runner-up.

Gilmour played until he was 40, scoring 450 goals and 1414 points in 1474 games. Adjusted 10% downwards to account for the higher scoring in the first half of his career, that's about 405 goals and 1273 points. Fedorov will likely make this his last season. He'll finish with about 485 goals and 1180 points in 1270 games. Very similar career numbers. Gilmour became more of a "wily veteran" later on, the kind of guy who barely put up half a point per game but still brought other goods to the game. Fedorov, same thing.

But what about the playoffs? Sergei has the three cups. Gilmour has one. That may seem like a big gap, but it's all circumstance. Fedorov played on a dynasty wings team, Gilmour didn't. Playoff points are remarkably even between the two. Gilmour has 186 in 182, Fedorov has 168 in 169, and after this, his last season, it's feasible to suggest he'll have about 175 in 181.

Gilmour led the 1986 playoffs in points despite not getting to the finals. In 1987-88, he had 17 points in just 10 games, good for first on his team, by a 7-point margin. (Who leads their team in playoff scoring by 7 points??? wow!) With the 1989 Flames, Gilmour finished 6th in playoff points, 5th in goals, and 3rd in +/-. Then, of course, there are his legendary years with the Leafs. 1993: 2nd in points, 5th in goals, 1st in +/-. 1994: 4th in points. He had three first-round exits later on where he was over a point per game, or just one below, and then put up 10 in 12 games with the 2002 Habs. In summary, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th. Gilmour is also among the all-time leaders with three career playoff OT winners.

Fedorov has a very good history as well. He's been solid throughout, even in first round exits - 38 Pts in 38 games during which his teams went 14-24. It was in the long cup rund where he built a legacy, though. 1995 - first in assists and points. 1996 - 8th in points, 1st in assists. 1997 - 8th in points. 1998 - 1st in goals, 2nd in points. 2002 - 6th in points, 3rd in assists. So in summary, 1st, 2nd, 6th, 8th, 8th in points. So cancel out the identical years, and Fedorov is left with two 8ths to Gilmour's 4th. Pretty close, and one guy did it on a dynasty and the other didn't.

These resumes are so similar, the only thing vastly different about these players is the way in which they achieved it. Fedorov was smooth, slick, and for a lot of his career, the best skater in the game. He wasn't soft but he never went looking for trouble. Gilmour was trouble. He earned every point he got, through hard work, grit, and determination. That's not to say he had no skill - he had lots of it. But it is his work ethic that will be the stuff of legend as time goes on. Like Ted Kennedy, who currently occupies 77th on the list.

Is this about individual skill sets or results? Fedorov is a better player than Gilmour skill-wise in nearly every aspect. But the results each one has achieved are strikingly similar, with Fedorov being "helped along" by a dynasty featuring four players in the top-41 on this list, and although Gilmour had cups of coffee with Hasek and Brodeur, it's not until 64th on this list that you find a skater he played with, and it's a defenseman. At 77th we see an ex-Gilmour forward teammate, Makarov, but I'm not sure it's even fair to "count" him given the stage of his career he was at; he scored between 22 and 30 goals in the three seasons he spent with Gilmour in Calgary. Not to mention Gilmour played in the shadows of Gretzky and Lemieux while Fedorov emerged as those two aged and semi-retired.

Now I am not trying to say Gilmour is better than Fedorov. Although if I convinced you of that, more power to me! I am saying that their careers are so similar, yet one has been rewarded with a relatively high placement on this list and one won't even be considered.

Combined regular season and playoff points, 1992-93 and 1993-94:

Gilmour 301
Oates 275
Bure 260
Turgeon 244
Gretzky 235
Robitaille 233
Recchi 230
Yzerman 230
Andreychuk 227
Roenick 224
Fedorov 224
Lemieux 222
Mogilny 222
Stevens 217
Jagr 208

Gilmour is probably about 120th-130th all-time. Just look at where the ATD GMs select him when trying to build a team to beat the other teams: Between 109th and 143rd in the last 7 drafts. Considering there are over 200 players in the hall, it would make sense that he should get in.

To add to what HO was saying: If you take out all the times that Gilmour was top-10 in goals, assists, and points in the playoffs, there are still 7 times where he was in the top-2 in his squad in either goals or points, and his team just didn't advance far enough for him to make the leaderboard. He ALWAYS brought it in the playoffs - I think he had one bad postseason with NJ - that's it.

As for the other stuff people are saying - Yes, Oates definitely should get in. And probably before Gilmour, too. He had the same excellent longevity, similar playoff production, he was a bit laid back compared to Gilmour but played well defensively too. And no one had more points in the 90's except Gretzky.

Badger Bob

Umm, I do believe that's still considered statutory **** in some states. The reason it went away....can you say "hush money"? Oh, BTW...the girl in question was 14!!! and he was 25. Does that change your opinion?

Here's the proof..
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE2D71139F93BA15751C1A96E948260

The hush money worked and the trade from St. Louis difused the issue. It's barely been discussed since 1988. Hard to believe that it's making him wait. Just the support in Toronto should easily be enough to gain him induction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad