OJ Simpson dead at 76

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Anyone have thoughts on the theory his son as the killer? Ive read some compelling arguments about it the last couple of days (tho full disclosure,havent had time to verify any of it yet)
His son had a history of violence and stabbing people. He also worked with Nicole's BF and they supposedly didn't get along at all. So it's a theory that could make sense who knows.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
There is just far too much evidence at the scene. Not to mention his Bronco, his house, the gloves, the hat, etc. It all had OJ's hair or blood on it. You can say there may have been a mistake or two the forensics did, but all of it? Nope. Can't happen. This is actually a prosecutor's dream of a case to take. The timeline all points to OJ. His limo driver seeing him running back into his house right after the time of the murders for example. Kato hearing the "bump" on the air conditioner. And here is the biggest thing. This idea that Fuhrman planted the glove is insane. At that time no one even knew who the suspect was, they didn't even know it was OJ at that time, and to plant evidence where they didn't even know if OJ had an alibi would be useless. How do they know he wasn't in bed with another woman or across the country? He could have had an airtight alibi and he did not. But the LAPD wouldn't have known this.

Things happened how they happened and it fit right into OJ being the killer. 30 years later, no other suspects, no mention of a suspect, no other theories, nothing. Also no evidence anyone other than OJ was there. Plus there is only one way that OJ, Nicole and Ron's blood could be in the Bronco. Unless somehow the LAPD broke into OJ's Bronco somehow, dumped blood in there from Nicole and Ron despite having no idea where OJ has been all night at the time. All of this done under an already heavy scrutinized call that had plenty of other officers on the scene of the crime. Yeah, alright.

He did it, he got away with it, and even OJ seemed shocked at the verdict. Robert Kardashian famously did not look happy when the verdict was being read. I think OJ didn't expect it either. As the verdict is being read before getting to the "not guilty" part you can see OJ almost looking resigned to the fact that he's spending his life behind bars. He got 9 years in Vegas for his stint in that robbery, so I guess justice partially prevailed.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Beyond reasonable doubt is not the same as beyond all doubt, something I just realized recently.

Maybe I'm just being totally ignorant and feel free to fact check me to death, but what are the chances the LAPD might have intentionally f***ed up the investigation to let him get away with and officer who perjured himself was a fall guy?

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
There is just far too much evidence at the scene. Not to mention his Bronco, his house, the gloves, the hat, etc. It all had OJ's hair or blood on it. You can say there may have been a mistake or two the forensics did, but all of it? Nope. Can't happen. This is actually a prosecutor's dream of a case to take. The timeline all points to OJ. His limo driver seeing him running back into his house right after the time of the murders for example. Kato hearing the "bump" on the air conditioner. And here is the biggest thing. This idea that Fuhrman planted the glove is insane. At that time no one even knew who the suspect was, they didn't even know it was OJ at that time, and to plant evidence where they didn't even know if OJ had an alibi would be useless. How do they know he wasn't in bed with another woman or across the country? He could have had an airtight alibi and he did not. But the LAPD wouldn't have known this.

Things happened how they happened and it fit right into OJ being the killer. 30 years later, no other suspects, no mention of a suspect, no other theories, nothing. Also no evidence anyone other than OJ was there. Plus there is only one way that OJ, Nicole and Ron's blood could be in the Bronco. Unless somehow the LAPD broke into OJ's Bronco somehow, dumped blood in there from Nicole and Ron despite having no idea where OJ has been all night at the time. All of this done under an already heavy scrutinized call that had plenty of other officers on the scene of the crime. Yeah, alright.

He did it, he got away with it, and even OJ seemed shocked at the verdict. Robert Kardashian famously did not look happy when the verdict was being read. I think OJ didn't expect it either. As the verdict is being read before getting to the "not guilty" part you can see OJ almost looking resigned to the fact that he's spending his life behind bars. He got 9 years in Vegas for his stint in that robbery, so I guess justice partially prevailed.
I think both on a gut level, and as a result of the evidence presented.. an overwhelming majority of people saw Simpson as guilty. I don't think his guilt is a meaningful debate anymore..
I think the real meat should be debating and analyzing jury nullification.. which I thought was the obvious explanation at the time of the verdict.. and has been openly admitted by jurors in subsequent years.
Is it more important to rebuke system corruption/bias, even if it means letting off a defendant you believe is guilty?
Personally, I support jury nullification.. but I agree with you, that this jury accepted a dumb theory on LAPD corruption.
But I think this should be the focus of the Simpson verdict legacy, was the jury nullification just or not? Basically nobody contests Simpson's actual guilt.. I mean who is actually looking for the unknown "real killers" anymore..

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Beyond reasonable doubt is not the same as beyond all doubt, something I just realized recently.

Maybe I'm just being totally ignorant and feel free to fact check me to death, but what are the chances the LAPD might have intentionally f***ed up the investigation to let him get away with and officer who perjured himself was a fall guy?

I don't know how that benefits the LAPD though to intentionally mess the case up. This was huge in 1994 and 1995. This was not a good look for the LAPD or the prosecution when they lost. I know that they intentionally had the case tried downtown instead of having it in Santa Monica and an almost certainly all white jury. They didn't want to stack the deck in this situation, but it was a mistake. OJ walked over this. And his true peers were actually the Brentwood/Santa Monica residents. I do think Judge Ito let the courtroom become too much of a circus. Nothing that Fuhrman said on a recording for a screenplay in 1985 had any bearing on the evidence or the murder in 1994. I am actually surprised that was allowed to fly as much as it did.

I think both on a gut level, and as a result of the evidence presented.. an overwhelming majority of people saw Simpson as guilty. I don't think his guilt is a meaningful debate anymore..
I think the real meat should be debating and analyzing jury nullification.. which I thought was the obvious explanation at the time of the verdict.. and has been openly admitted by jurors in subsequent years.
Is it more important to rebuke system corruption/bias, even if it means letting off a defendant you believe is guilty?
Personally, I support jury nullification.. but I agree with you, that this jury accepted a dumb theory on LAPD corruption.
But I think this should be the focus of the Simpson verdict legacy, was the jury nullification just or not? Basically nobody contests Simpson's actual guilt.. I mean who is actually looking for the unknown "real killers" anymore..

Ron and Nicole had nothing to do with any corruption of the past with the LAPD. These were separate issues. I know people are human and it is my understanding that this jury definitely had that sort of stuff on their mind. For example, Marcia Clark knew they were in trouble right in the beginning when there was just a blank expression on the faces of the jurors - especially the female jurors - when they heard the 911 calls Nicole was making. Those are emotional calls that tie into what eventually led to her death, but I think from the onset this jury had their mind made up. I don't agree with jury nullification though, simply because you take each case on its own individually. You can't let a murderer off the hook based on that, and they shouldn't have.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I don't know how that benefits the LAPD though to intentionally mess the case up. This was huge in 1994 and 1995. This was not a good look for the LAPD or the prosecution when they lost. I know that they intentionally had the case tried downtown instead of having it in Santa Monica and an almost certainly all white jury. They didn't want to stack the deck in this situation, but it was a mistake. OJ walked over this. And his true peers were actually the Brentwood/Santa Monica residents. I do think Judge Ito let the courtroom become too much of a circus. Nothing that Fuhrman said on a recording for a screenplay in 1985 had any bearing on the evidence or the murder in 1994. I am actually surprised that was allowed to fly as much as it did.
Well, this is the same police department that had an officer murder her former boyfriend's wife and got away with it for decades. Murder of Sherri Rasmussen - Wikipedia

The reality is that a police department, as an arm of government, is essentially "immortal" and a mere scandal, no matter how big, does not materially effect internal operations.

Celebs do get away with shit, and it's plausible the legal system wanted a failure for OJ to spare him the rod but had to make it look like they went through the process. Judges ARE attorneys. Before they landed on the bench, they were one of the seats facing a judge. A change of title doesn't really change their occupation.

As trained professionals, officers of the law are NOT incompetent like common men. They can ACT that way, but let's just say, the more years you have...the more you know how to catch people....and how to f*** things up to let them get away with it. The officer will get more experience sitting in court for even small cases, hear excuses, see lawyers operate, etc.

And even in fiction like Rush Hour, get called one of the most corrupt police departments in the world.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Well, this is the same police department that had an officer murder her former boyfriend's wife and got away with it for decades. Murder of Sherri Rasmussen - Wikipedia

The reality is that a police department, as an arm of government, is essentially "immortal" and a mere scandal, no matter how big, does not materially effect internal operations.

Celebs do get away with shit, and it's plausible the legal system wanted a failure for OJ to spare him the rod but had to make it look like they went through the process. Judges ARE attorneys. Before they landed on the bench, they were one of the seats facing a judge. A change of title doesn't really change their occupation.

As trained professionals, officers of the law are NOT incompetent like common men. They can ACT that way, but let's just say, the more years you have...the more you know how to catch people....and how to f*** things up to let them get away with it. The officer will get more experience sitting in court for even small cases, hear excuses, see lawyers operate, etc.

And even in fiction like Rush Hour, get called one of the most corrupt police departments in the world.

If by "to spare him the rod" you mean the death penalty, I highly doubt the state of California would have ever executed OJ.

I get what you mean with all of this, there are forces that are corrupt, but the issue I have is that they would have had to implicate a man that they didn't even know whether or not he had an airtight alibi. So like, if they find the glove at OJ's and know the time of the murders, but OJ has been at a bar all night witnessed by 50 other people who were with him. Or he was out of the State, or country. He did it. I think you can have two truths, you can have some corruption in a police department but still have a guy who legitimately committed murder that they are going after.

I'd like to think as well that Marcia Clark and Chris Darden would realize the benefit that winning the case would have on their careers. It would have been huge for them. You would think Gil Garcetti as District Attorney would have a lot of skin in the game if they could have won this case too. So yeah, I don't think it was a botched case intentionally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad